Is The Ringo on Drums Version of "Love Me Do" on Past Masters at the right speed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

VeeJay used the Andy White version both on the LP and the subsequent single. The Ringo version was not released in the US until Rarities in 1980.

2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve says they match exactly...did I miss a post? Ron

3. brainwashed

I don't have an original UK pressing on 45...but the Past Masters version....and my 1982 12" 45 re-issue and CD5 all play in the same key, therefore none is faster than the other. I'll listen to my copy of Ebbett's EP box tomorrow and see if I can play along with it...Ron

4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Steve said that the Ringo version on the original Parlophone 45 should match pitch-wise with the Andy White version. This isn't the case with the version on Past Masters, which is speeded up.

5. brainwashed

Hey Raul....So the version on PM, is sped up....but the re-issue CD5 and 12" 45 which has Ringo's version is not? Ron

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I haven't heard the latter two issues. The PM version is definitely at a higher pitch than any Andy White version I've ever heard.

7. Another Side

Is the reissue 12" taken from the same needle drop as the PM version?

8. brainwashed

It's been a long day...I'm slightly confused here. Is the issue whether the PM mix, which is Ringo...is sped up from other configurations that has Ringo's version? Or are we comparing Ringo and Andy White's version??? Ron

9. brainwashed

I assume so....whether one was sped up or not I'm not sure. Ron

10. Another Side

Simply put, I was surprised to find that the PM version plays much faster than the Dr. Ebbetts needle drop. So I was wondering which was at the proper speed. In the first post I have a link to clips of the Dr. Ebbetts needle drop, the PM version, and the Andy White version from the EP CD Collection.

11. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The Ringo version on the Past Masters CD runs faster than the Ringo version on Ebbett's UK Singles Collection. Steve said that the Ringo version should have the same pitch as the Andy White version, so it seems like Ebbetts needle-drop is the one with the correct speed.

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

My precioussss.......ohh my precioussssss. :laugh:

13. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Hi Ron,

The Past Masters CD, CD single and the 12" will play the same, because they're all from the same source.

That source being a mint vinyl copy borrowed by EMI in September 1982.

Someone here said it was Lewisohn's copy, is that true?

14. Another Side

Well, they could be made from the same tape, but they don't necessarily have to be at the same speed.

15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Are you saying that they were all created from the same digital master, i.e. the same speeded-up needle-drop?

16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

EMI borrowed the minty 7" of Ringo's "Love Me Do" made a copy of it, and then returned it the next day to the collector.

Don't know whether they made a digital or analogue copy or both.

But all post September 1982 copies of Ringo's "Love Me Do" are derived from the tape that EMI made from that single.

17. Raf

Raf Senior Member

OK, thanks.

18. brainwashed

The answer to your thread question is YES...the Ringo version on Past Masters is at the correct speed, as is every other official configuration of this version, including, the US Rarities LP AND the 1982 re-issue on 12'' vinyl and CD5. My copy of Ebbett's Singles Box, sourced from the VINYL box, not the CDs, runs slightly slow....the song can't be played properly in the key of G, but it's not too slow, less than 1/2 a step. While the PM version, on vinyl or CD, by the way, may sound fast, it is not...unless they didn't tune properly to begin with, which is doubtful, especially since Paul's bass is slightly out-of-tune to George's guitar...at least his A string is. Ron

19. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Does anyone have the US Rarities LP, and could you compare the LMD on there to the one on Past Masters? Sound clips would be nice, too. :)

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have the US Rarities LP, the original Parlophone 45 and the Past Masters CD -- there are only these three "official" masterings of this version of LMD, correct? Am I missing one?

I forgot to compare them last night. I will try to do it this weekend and post clips (if I can figure out how to do it).

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Did you not read Steve's post?

His 45 matches the key of the Andy White version. PM does not match the key of the Andy White version. Thus it seems likely that his 45 is correct, and the PM version isn't.

22. Another Side

Ron, I did some a more detailed comparison between the pitch on the Andy White version and the pitch on the Dr. Ebbetts needle drop. Using the first note of the harmonica at the beginning of the song as a presumed fixed pitch on both (assuming the same harmonica). I compared the two. The Dr. Ebbetts version is 1% slower. That is I had to speed it up by 1% to match the pitch to the Andy White version. The PM version on the other hand is about 1% faster.

23. Another Side

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

There is also the Capitol of Canada 45, and the 1964 gray-market LP The Original Greatest Hits (probably dubbed from the CoC 45), to name two more early sources.

25. brainwashed

My friend, you're still comparing two different versions. I thought your original post was concerning whether Ringo's version on Past Masters was faster than Ebbett's version of the same Ringo track??? It is faster, but it's the correct speed. The Andy White version on the Please Please Me LP and CD also plays perfectly in the key of G. As I mentioned earlier, the Ebbett's version I have IS slightly slower, as your test results yield...and the fact my guitar is not quite in tune to it, just slightly sharp, while perfectly in key to the official sources. However, a 1% difference in speed is almost inperceptable, we're talking less than .22 seconds difference if that's accurate...Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.