Is The Ringo on Drums Version of "Love Me Do" on Past Masters at the right speed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The Andy White version for me, no question. Paul's out-of-tune bass on the original version has always bugged me, and his vocal is a little shaky too.

2. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

I like the Ringo version better, even though I agree with everything you say. I just think the mix is better (even though I think the drums are mixed better on the Andy White version).

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Andy all the way; first version I ever heard, best version I ever heard. The Ringo version sounds like a rehearsal tape which is probably why they replaced it to begin with.

btomarra likes this.
  4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I agree, the Andy White version hangs together much better.

5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

"Andy all the way" - I'll say :) "too!"

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Interesting, though, that they once thought enough of it to put it out as the original single in the first place.

7. I agree. Ringo's version is much better. But then again, we are an anomaly in Canada as that is the version we were first exposed to back in early 1963 (only other country besides U.K.). The Andy White version (too polished for me) was not released in Canada until 1968, when Capitol Canada briefly issued Meet The Beatles, Beatles Second Album and The Early Beatles.

The Capitol Canada 45 that I have plays much faster than the Past Masters CD version and Ron Furmanek's needle drop on the U.S. Rarities LP. (So does "P.S. I Love You".)

I cannot compare the CDN 45 to the DE version as his discs are not available where I am. :shake:

8. Pekka Nikkola

Pekka Nikkola Forum Resident

Ringo's version was released in Finland too, but 1964.

It's much better, because it is 100 % Beatles. The other is only 75 % Beatles.

9. Nice looking single. But aren't you supposed to punch out that piece of plastic so it fits on your 45 spindle? :D

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually the 2nd version has 100% of the Beatles on it too. But it is 80% Beatles...all 4 Beatles are on it -- plus Andy White. :winkgrin:

11. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

The performance on the Andy version is much tighter. And I don't blame it all that much on Ringo. Paul in particular just seems so unsteady on the first version. You can hear that uncertainty when he sings..Love Me Do... By the time they did the second version he was good to go.

Bob

12. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The version on Past Masters matches the speed heard on all other OFFICIAL releases. One can play the guitar in the proper key to all versions, assuming one's turntable plays accurately. I have no idea if your Ebbett's version is slower or not...he has re-done several of his releases, and at one time had a major issue with his turntable...though I can't recall if speed was ever a problem. Ron

13. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Paul once said in an interview that he sounded like that on the original version of LMD because it was the first time ever that he sang that line in the song. He said that, prior to that recording session, they had always performed it with John alone singing, "Love me --" then he would have to cut it off to play the harmonica bit. Paul said that George Martin told him to sing the line himself, and that the shakiness of the vocal reflected how nervous he was about this new responsibility.

Like many of Paul's stories, this one always seemed too cute to be entirely believable. For one thing, it's not like Paul had never sung alone before; what would he have to be nervous about? And the Beatles may have been young and relatively inexperienced, but I find it hard to credit that they needed George Martin to tell them that "Love me -- *WAHHH WAHHH*" was not an acceptable arrangement.

14. Another Side

I have heard this story as well. But I had heard it about the Pete Best version, which has the solo vocal with the harmonica as well. Paul does sound a little shaky on that version.

15. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I seem to recall Paul referring specifically to the original single in the version of the story that I read. But you're right, of course: the recording session with Pete Best would have had to be the earlier occasion where Paul had to sing that line by himself.

16. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Hi,

Maybe somewhat out off topic but one can compare a needledrop with a vinyl? Soundwise of course :confused:

I'm asking because I got from a friend a needledrop of UHQR Pepper and wanted to know if I can compare it with MFSL vinyl...or not...

Thanks,

Helio

17. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

Here in Norway, the Ringo version was the single. But it wasn't released until 1964. I like them both, Ringo's is the charmier one and Andy's the professional one.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I much prefer the Ringo on drums version, largely because I have always found the tambourine distracting on the Andy White version. I also find the tempo sounds just a bit too fast on the latter version.

19. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

My vote goes to the Andy version as well. Sorry, Ringo!

Derek

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

When I try to imagine the session for "Love Me Do" with Andy White on drums, I always envision Ringo forlornly sitting with the tambourine doing as he's been told and looking even more like an abandoned puppy than usual. Possibly even wondering if joining the band was such a good idea after all ...

Anyway, whatever he was feeling or thinking, I'm very glad he stuck around.

sean4554 likes this.
  21. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I love the tambourine!

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh: Me too!

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If what Steve is saying is correct, then the Past Masters version does not match the speed on all other official releases.

24. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Which version did VeeJay use on "Introducing" - later released on Tollie as a 45?

25. Another Side

Ron, if you listen to all three clips, the harmonica is not the same pitch on the Past Masters version. Are you saying that the original UK single is deliberately speeded up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.