Is McIntosh really worth the money. .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by txguitar, Mar 19, 2024.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

In short, yes McIntosh IS worth the money. It’s bound to last decades trouble free and sound and look good while the time passes. Resale is great, usually quite good so that in itself makes it a safe buying investment.

Whether or not it’s all things for all people sound wise is another discussion.

2. NYC-Blotto

NYC-Blotto Forum Resident

Thinking that irritates people seems really egotistical. I doubt anyone really gives a damn, yet YOU think you have that power over others due to something you own? Personally, I'm not irritated about it at all. Glad you have what you like. Seems weird to love possessing something because you like that it 'irritates' people. See the ego in that?

It's a weird thing to me how many people make assumptions about 'things' people own or don't own. I've done it myself.

I've been riding Harleys for many years (no I'm not a fat cliche redneck / just the opposite *smile). I like Dyna Glides because they are smaller, nimble to handle in mountain roads (at least for a Harley) and I can travel just fine on one. AND I can customize them to my taste. It's exactly what I want. Yet I have heard many Harley Street Glide owners say about those of us who don't ride a Street Glide . . . "they really want a Street Glide and are just jealous they can't afford one" . . WRONG! If I wanted one I would have one.

Many times I have read similar things here when someone says they prefer something besides the more expensive stuff. It comes from people who are VERY defensive about their 'stuff' and who own those expensive pieces of gear. That's some kind of ego! It's good to be content.

3. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Thanks for proving my point; it obviously causes a burr under your Corbin or Mustang saddle or else you wouldn't be here thread crapping.

FWIW I've never owned any Mark Levinson, Krell, Accuphase, Magico and a host of other high end gear including Harley Davidson. I've never once felt compelled to go crap on any of their threads or advise them against the purchase of a product I know nothing about. Perhaps you should consider doing the same and congratulate the op on his new purchase that he seems quite pleased with.

Humbuster and Tullman like this.
  4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Yes, of course. Everything is worth the money.

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As does my CAT amp.

vintage_tube and motorstereo like this.
  6. NYC-Blotto

NYC-Blotto Forum Resident

Geez, can you read, especially without the defensiveness?
    Might want to read what I said again. Let me repeat . . "Glad you have what you like".
    Also you may want to read the rest without the same over the top need to defend your gear. No one is thread 'crapping' on your Mc. It's a conversation about it being worth it . All I said was "I wonder how many people buy Mc on status and the blue meters alone without giving other stuff a listen". I didn't say you or anyone specific. It's a simple question. And I explained why it was not worth it TO ME (thread subject).

I also said "it's good to be content" in the response to you, which sounds like you are.
    The rest I stand by 100%. Now tell me, what point did I prove for you? Honestly man it's just stereo gear.

Wait, don’t tell me. You had a Street Glide.o_O:D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  7. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

There is the cost to buy and then there is the cost to own. People that are bad with money don’t understand the difference.

the cost to buy all McIntosh is indeed high but if you buy used, you could make money. Or hold on to it for 40 years and you can sell it for more than what it cost new. They still support everything they’ve ever made in the factory where it came from. They will get you a new faceplate or knob for a 50 year old amp or get you schematics for repair. They want their products to keep working and be valuable. Try that with a 50 year old Marantz, Sansui or pioneer.

most new electronics and all that are cheap to buy are not designed to be repaired. It’s all going to a land fill and whatever you paid is a complete loss. Sometimes spending more on the front end is the more frugal financial decision. Ever spend good money on an AVR? Even the expensive ones from 2010 are either in a landfill or sitting in a good will for $30. That will
    Never happen with a McIntosh amp.

but. If you are shopping and want/need the best performance for the lowest purchase price. Keep looking. If you have the resources for new McIntosh, go to a dealer and do A/B comparisons. Don’t let strangers on the internet tell you what you can hear or how you should spend your money.

8. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I bought my McIntosh amps precisely because they sound human, not cold like many other pieces of gear I have heard and owned.

As for status - literally no one outside of this forum even knows I have McIntosh amps. They are in the listening room and no one has ever seen them except me and my wife.

As for blue meters - I keep mine permanently turned off, and the blue LEDs (or is it green, I don't remember) on the power amp as well. I would find them distracting when listening to music. So you could say I bought McIntosh DESPITE the blue meters.

9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Yeah, no one really knows I have McIntosh gear either. I converted from a Forte Model 3 to a McIntosh MC2120 because it sounded more full, musical, engaging, even if it wasn’t quite as 3 dimensional in soundstage.

So I was converted to the McIntosh sound, but felt like the 2120 wasn’t really an endgame type amp due to 120W and it was fairly industrial looking. When a beat up (broken glass, inoperable meter) MC2255 opportunity came my way, I took the chance and bought it. Turned out to also have an overheating problem on one heat sink. But I fixed that, recapped it as a project, bought brand new glass and chrome end caps, and after years of searching, finally found a working meter. So now it’s about 100%.

I then got a recapped C35 preamp to pair with it, and A/B’d it against the preamps that had survived my paring down process: Modwright SWL 9.0 SE, Forte Model 2, Bryston 11B - all really excellent sounding preamps to me. I really couldn’t reliably tell the difference between them, so I kept the C35 since it kind of matched the amp aesthetically and had a remote.

But I have to admit to loving my blue meters, even if no one else sees them or knows I have them. I like seeing the needles dance so responsively to the music and the blue is just iconic (to me) as McIntosh always seemed out of reach until I actually got some.

But mine are older pieces. Early to mid-‘80’s for my amp and early ‘90’s for my preamp. I’ve since picked up a ‘70’s C27 preamp as well.

But vintage McIntosh vs modern/new McIntosh are kind of different animals to me. The quality is there as a constant, the great sound as well (I’ve heard modern McIntosh even if I don’t own it myself), but the price points to get into vintage vs modern are quite different. The closest equivalent spec wise to my MC2255 is probably the MC312 with 300W to my 250W. But it sells for $7500 vs probably $2500 street price for a nice condition 2255, so ~3x.

So I own McIntosh, love it, but still probably wouldn’t personally buy new pieces for their list price. But I tip my hat to those that do or buy other similarly priced audio gear. :tiphat:

10. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I bought my C2300 after it went out of production from Audio Classics. They must have scooped up the remaining stock and were selling them off as NOS at deep discount. It was a great deal on a factory sealed McIntosh preamp.

Rick58, motorstereo, 4-2-7 and 3 others like this.
  11. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Yeah but just like all equipment we can gradually move our systems to other, maybe higher levels if we are patient if we want. However I had thought with buying used I could slowly do a continuous move to newer equipment and stay just behind current models, and selling off my current equipment. The main goal would be not to need any repair work as units pushed over 20-30 years old. But I also have found that really isn't needed, at least not yet, I also had a C2300 built in around 2012 or something like that, but liked my C100 built in 1998 far more, so I sold the C2300. So, it's not always the age of the equipment that can make it better for us and having the latest and greatest. Their are units scattered throughout the decades that are just winners when they came out, they always will be, and will be the keepers in our lives. The fact of the matter I seen a very very nice C100 on ebay including all the packaging and everything it came with brand new, I have considered buying it just to have a back up. I did that once before and had two of them for two months but ended up selling one for a large profit, still kicking myself for doing that.

captouch likes this.
  12. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Congratulations @txguitar !!

I got the C49 + MC152 almost four years ago, wanting to move away from my previous tube amp setup and never looked back—my McIntosh gear delivers the sonics with crystal clear authority and is perfect for my room. Also I find it beautiful aesthetically—the gothic font, the green and blue back light, the meters, all of it… Additionally, made in the USA has value to me.

Far from having buyer’s remorse, I am super happy I went all in (per my budget) and followed my heart!!

Rick58 likes this.
  13. motorstereo

Clean your reading glasses as that may help your reading comprehension and finding the burr under your Corbin. As I mentioned I've never owned a Harley Davidson and I'm not here to threadcrap or compare m/c's to Mac.

14. motorstereo

I'm glad to hear this. I'd actually been thinking about a c2300 to replace my c100. Mainly because of the c2300 being a single unit and I'd like to try a tubed pre just one last time. I'll scratch that idea now and keep the c100 right where it is.

4-2-7 likes this.
  15. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I had bought the C2300 in a package with my MC501 monoblocks in 2014 for $10,000. At the time the new C2500 just came out as well as the MC601 monoblocks and that's what the seller was moving to. The C2300 was the last tube preamp that didn't have a DAC built in, a plus in my book. I really wanted the MC501s, even before I bought my MC402, my dealer had a trade in pair for $8000 that was to much for me at the time. So I ended up with a MC402 from CL for $4500, a year later when I got the MC501s they replaced that amp. The seller was selling the 501s for $6000 and the C2300 for $4000 and I did want to try the C2300 so I bought it all. In the end I sold the MC402 for the same price I bought it for to a friend, the C2300 I sold for $4500 and that reduced the cost of my MC501s to $5500, glad I waited a year instead of paying $8000 + tax.

The C2300 I tried out for awhile and it's a good preamp but I could hear it in my system compared to the C100. The C100 acts like it isn't even there if that makes any sense, it's so clean and doesn't color anything. I have tube & SS power amps and tubes in the preamp are not needed at all if I want tubes to color the sound. For me tubes are better in the power amp stage for when I want them, and a SS preamp is better for the preamp so it's not coloring the signal when I don't want it to. I also like not having to navigate through a digital screen to select everything I want to do, and that's what you get with the C2300. The C100 as you know has knobs to turn and select everything you what to do, much easier to do and see where everything is set at.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    motorstereo likes this.
  16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Old is definitely superior to new in terms of build quality when it comes to McIntosh. No old really preamp is ever going to sethrone a new design, but I can see how a bit older one could the more modern versions. I have serviced practically all generations of Mac components, amps and preamps, and the newer stuff just doesn't sound as good as I had expected and the build just wasn't as nice as prior versions. The only ones that I would keep at this point are likely the MC225 (which I have) and the MC240. Never say never though! I have given more than a few opportunity to show their mettle and sonic prowess.
    - Bill

17. motorstereo

Yes it makes sense and it's how I'd describe my c100. It's there, it's doing it's job but it's so quiet and neutral with no hint of a signature sound of it's own other than quiet. The only drawback are the 2 boxes. The price you have to pay for an ultra quiet pre.

18. TONY MAGS

TONY MAGS Well-Known Member

Was just wondering how great are the Mcintosh Stereo amps

19. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I think they still build great equipment. You should try to audition the one you think is right for you.

My Dad recently picked up a MA 8950 integrated amp and it sounds really really good.

I owned a 7100 years ago and it was great Rock solid.

20. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I’m using 611’s, 8207, MT-5, MEN220, C2700 for about 5 years now and all I can say is not once have I regretted my purchase for music or movie enjoyment. It’s been an awesome ride so far :)

Wenthrope, motorstereo and Rick58 like this.
  21. Dino Villani

Dino Villani Resident Senior Audiophile

I’m a huge fan. Build quality, sound, repair ability, customer service can’t be beat! Check out the thread @curbach pointed you to.

22. Like everything in the audio world, it depends on what you are measuring, how you measure, and what emphasis you place on said measurements.

If one was to look at McIntosh amps with a wide lens I think the picture is quite favorable.

McIntosh gear is expensive to purchase new, and holds it's value so it is pricy to purchase used too.
    That value holding power does work nicely if you plan on selling because, compared to just about any other audio gear, McIntosh will garner a good price.

The value holding power comes from many aspects.
    1) McIntosh is a well known, well respected, brand name in the industry based on decades of solid products and favorable performance.
    2) McIntosh gear holds it's value very well...this makes used gear very favorable to purchase, try, and resell if you don't like it because you will likely break even after the trial and resell.
    3) McIntosh gear has a great record of serviceabilty, parts availability, and generally being maintenance friendly.....they don't break often, but when they do it can almost always be repaired.
    4) McIntosh build quality is some of the best in the industry. Honestly, there are 40+ year old McIntosh amps that are still working properly without having ever been repaired.
    They are not infallable, or indescructable, but they are pretty dang robust and they just work when asked.
    5) McIntosh is well represented so you can likely find someplace nearby to go audition the gear you are interested in...or, through a site like this, you may find a McIntosh owner of certain gear who is willing to invite you to their place for a private listen before making a purchase.

McInstosh gear is not the end all, be all, panacea of all things audio related, but it is absolutely good enough to try so you can find out for yourself if you enjoy what McIntosh gear has to offer.

Because you started the thread I would like to ask, is there any specific McIntosh gear you are interested in hearing?
    What speakers will you be driving with this McIntosh gear?

23. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Vinyl Cleaning Fiend

Perhaps you should have written that "they think they still build great equipment"?
    Seriously, I would not know, having never heard any McIntosh gear. But when a brand is revered for its name alone, I become suspicious.

24. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I’m not sure if current Mac gear has the build quality that the products that made it famous did. Certainly their warranties don’t match their build quality reputation. That being said they make nice stuff and is certainly end game type components for a lot of their owners.

25. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Yeah, like Rolex and Ferrari. :confused: