Inventing Situations: Talking Heads Song-By-Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Apr 14, 2024.

1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

The Book I Read

A lovely, bouncy, poppy sort of danceable tune! Both Byrne and the band firing on all cylinders.

Lots of great lyrics here:

I have to write about the book I read
    I'm embarrassed to admit it hit the soft spot in my heart when I found out you wrote the book I read
    I'm living in the future, I feel wonderful, I'm tipping over backwards...
    The book I read was in your eyes
    I'm spinning around but I feel alright

The Na-na chorus (bridge?) is also pretty great. [Everybody sing along!!]

I never knew about the Sean Cassidy cover before. Must've been later in his career. Sounds like he wants to be Bowie more than Byrne [not that there's anything wrong with that], but seems to kind of peter out towards the end, maybe running out of ideas...

2. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Who Is It? is just a delight. It's fun and quirky and funky and short. What more could you want? 5/5

3. BZync

BZync Senior Member

No Compassion

As (to my ears) there is no melody to speak of, the songs virtues rest upon the lyrics, which I don't care for. 1/5

4. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The Book I Read 2.5/5

KangaMom, alugjk and Putrifiers II like this.
  5. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

The Book I Read
    Score bumped up a little thanks to that excellent bridge.
    3.5/5

6. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Not to be a killjoy.. but "fun and quirky and funky" is fine, but in small doses. I'm close to ODing at times here...
    The best is yet to come. :righton:

7. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Of course, but if we consider 5/5 as perfect, how to rate "even more perfect" or "perfectissimo"?

8. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

One of the most memorable tracks on the album, and one of the best. So many great little vocal flourishes here and there, such as the way he hits "SO..." at the start of the second verse and the slight vibrato on "arms" and "alright" (So take my shoulders as they touch your arms, I've got little cold chills but I feel alright...)

Love this one. Clear 4.5/5 for this guy.

9. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Catching up after my weekend... this is really where the album picks up steam and becomes a classic. I love the sequence of these three songs together.

Who Is It? - I didn't pick up on this for but to me it's pretty clear now that this is kind of a spiritual precursor to "I Zimbra" two albums later. Emphasis is on fun, movement, the sounds of words rather than the words themselves or their meaning, all over an impossibly funky, but utterly nimble, gone-before-you-know-it arrangement. As others have noted, the perfect gap between this and the next song make them almost of a piece. Completely original and irresistible.

No Compassion - "Not so cool to have so many problems," one of many favorite lines from this song which others have already quoted the rest. The slide guitars always a welcome addition to their palette, employed in an unorthodox manner for atmospheric effect rather than bluesy emoting. The change in tempo to the fleetfooted bridge is a thrill each time. Definitely a more muscular and rocking track than the rest of the record, they were always versatile and just became more so with each record.

The Book I Read - The piano and organ are nice touches to shake up the record a bit. I love David's vocals on this, nobody sang like this and it's so self-assured, despite Frantz's admission later that he could be a "trainwreck" in front of the mic in the early days. My favorite part being the "Oooooooooooh I'm living in the future...." so soulful. I'm noticing on the remaster it's easy to pick out some double tracked vocals sometimes, there are a lot of cool little touches to David's performance and the sound of it. Even all that ad-libbing at the end works great, we all wouldn't have been shocked if it didn't though; that's some tightrope walking without much net when he goes up for those sustained falsetto notes. Somehow it all complements the joy of the previous lyrics brilliantly.

10. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

The Book I Read

I just love this song. So much gun.
    5/5

11. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Yeah, I love guns too...

12. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

The Book I Read

A big part of the reason I love this album is due to its quirkiness and this fits right in. 4.5/5

13. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Putrifiers II likes this.
  14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

The Book I Read

This is where the songs start to get memorable for me, and the album really takes off. Really strong writing and performance. 5/5

15. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Forum Resident

The Book I Read
    One of my favorite TH songs. Should have been on Stop Making Sense - 5/5

16. Phil Turnbull

Phil Turnbull Forum Resident

The Book I Read - the best vocal performance on the record: 4/5

17. prymel

prymel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Given that they take a considerable leap forward musically as soon as their next album, I don't think an album of "fun and quirky and funky" steps into OD range, particularly since the melodies and arrangements are consistently clever/inventive (IMO, at least). I understand that everyone hears these things differently, but it's not like they spent an entire decade or something beating this formula to death.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  18. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

The Book I Read

This is another favorite. It’s such a great quirky love song that brings me back to my college days and hanging around with a girl I was in love with. Sadly she had a boyfriend. Tough to compete with a guy in the rock band, lol. Anyway we were good friends and I went with her to see her boyfriend’s band play. You wouldn’t think this combination would work, but the boyfriend’s band sounded like a cross between the Talking Heads and the Grateful Dead, and they were actually pretty great. Anyway this track and others on this album, including one coming up, transport me back, and are just so joyful and capture my feelings from those days so well.

I agree that Dave’s vocals on this track are some of the strongest on the album. Just a great infectious track that I still love decades later.

19. pocketcalculator

pocketcalculator Forum Resident

"The Book I Read" - Chris and David had spent some years playing early '70s pop and r'n'b hits, and it shows on these early songs. So many hooks, particularly rhythmically. I love the "na na na na" break. And I love it when an artist finds a new way to express a love song. 4.5/5

20. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

The Book I Read: I agree with all the positive comments, this is clearly one of their best early tracks. 5/5

21. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

The Book I Read
    This is a a really interesting song. I really like the driving piano in this song and I like the groove. The na-nas go a bit long for my liking - is this what he meant by channeling KC, I suspect it's more the somewhat disco beat to it, myself.
    Catchy and it does have an infectious groove.
    3.9/5

alugjk, CassetteDek, Al Gator and 6 others like this.
  22. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

"The Book I Read" More goofy lyrics but an instantly catchy intro, a hummable, bouncy tune and propulsive, almost danceable bridge. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I'm giving it a 5/5

alugjk, KangaMom, CassetteDek and 6 others like this.
  23. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

The Book I Read another early Talking Heads classic.
    4/5

alugjk, KangaMom, Paul Mazz and 5 others like this.
  24. prymel

Our votes for “The Book I Read”
    1-0
    2-0
    3-2
    4-7
    5-15

Average: 4.3917

Updated Cumulative Rankings For Talking Heads: 77
    1. The Book I Read – 4.3917 (24)
    2. No Compassion – 4.2404 (26)
    3. Uh-Oh, Love Comes To Town – 4.0310 (29)
    4. New Feeling – 3.8846 (26)
    5. Happy Day – 3.6900 (25)
    6. Who Is It? – 3.5714 (28)
    7. Tentative Decisions – 3.4185 (27)

25. prymel

Today’s song is “Don’t Worry About The Government”

Lyrics – Don’t Worry About The Government

Written by David Byrne.

In this track David proclaims the virtues of suburbia, civil servants and municipal employees that work hard for the people, and home sweet home. Years later, Tina reflected, “It was just us saying that the best rock and roll comes out of the suburbs. It was a beautiful and innocent sentiment.” Lines are blurred and it’s not clear where sarcasm and irony begins and ends.

This was the b-side to the “Pulled Up” single.