Interesting All-in-One Ultrasonic Cleaner - HumminGuru

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Spivey, Dec 4, 2020.

1. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Thank-you for the compliment, all for a good cause.

Take care,
    Neil

2. pacvr

pacvr Forum Resident

Its intended as a wet-brush Amazon.co.jp: NAGAOKA WCL222 Micro Brush Cleaner for Records, Argent Micro WET Brush : Electronics. For Nagaoka, not sure of what the term Argenta means since they use it for many of their brushes - Nagaoka CL-120 Argento Velvet Record Cleaning Brush - Analogue Seduction.

Otherwise, not sure of any difference with the Stasis Groove Cleaner Record Brush - Stasis Groove Cleaner Record Brush V2 (ttvjaudio.com). The bristles are nylon tapered to 10-microns (same as 0.01 mm) and is variation of the Record Doctor Clean Sweep Brush that uses 50-micron non-tapered nylon bristles - Amazon.com: Record Doctor Clean Sweep LP Vinyl Cleaning Brush : Electronics.

3. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

An issue I have with this sort of dry brisk, though, is creating a static charge on the record (akin to rubbinga balloon on your hair). I use a brush that has a grounding wire to drain anything like that.

IlyaP likes this.
  4. IlyaP

IlyaP Well-Known Member

I have not noticed any static problems after using this Hmminguru brush or the Nagaoka 120.
    I would like to point out that the LP after washing with Hmminguru US have less static problems than those not washed in it.
    I have also tried a large number of antistatic brushes and means, there is such a device - デスタットハンディ SN-03シリーズ .
    But most of all I like the usual RONXS Candle Lighter for 8 dollars from amazon.

Thank you for pointing that out. By implication, of course, static can form. I'll try to change the way I use the lighter.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  5. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

I can also highly recommend the RONXS candle lighter.

It works great! Especially for brand new records which come in a generic paper innersleeve. You can use the RONKS even from outside to get the (highly) charged vinyl out of the sleeves, without scratching it.

Bye Andrea :wave:

jmobrien68 and IlyaP like this.
  6. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Ouch! I just cleaned my 10" copy of Radiohead's Kid A. Although I didn't use any force when removing the disc the adapter snapped. I just emailed HG to let them know what happened. I've had the HG for less than a week :cry:
    Has this happened to anybody else?

[​IMG]

7. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Yikes. Has not happened to anyone I know of, but having used mine just a bit, I can't say I'm terribly surprised to see this. The 10" adapter ring is my single least favorite part of the Humminguru package.

Hopefully they replace under warranty - let us know how this turns out. Their customer service is pretty good, from both personal experience and what I've read of others' experience.

8. AnalogJ

Why is the 10" adapter your least favorite part of the package. Is it different than the 7" adapter other than it's frame is thinner? Does that make it less easy to use? I think I've only done one 10" record thus far.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  9. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

That thinner frame is exactly it - it's tricky enough to get a 7" in and out of the adapter without a third hand (at least, if it's got a small spindle as opposed to being dinked); the 10" is that much harder due to the narrow area to grip the adapter. I mentioned upthread that if I do another round using these, I'll pull out a label protector and use half of that with the spindle bolt to hold the disc, since the Zaphod Beeblebrox option is a stretch.

Once the disc is in, these work pretty well - sometimes there's a drop or two of liquid hiding under the grips around the rim of the disc, but that's not a huge issue. But there's then the issue of getting the disc back out of the adapter without putting a big fingerprint in the middle of the program area....

10. rediffusion

I would say that the 10" adapter is more fragile than the 7" as the radius is much thinner. I found out the hard way :cry:

11. rediffusion

I emailed the very helpful HumminGuru customer service and they are sending me a replacement 10" adapter. :)

12. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Senior Member

Their
    Their customer service is excellent.

gabbleratchet7 and AnalogJ like this.
  13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Welp. After only 300 cycles, my HG has stopped working. It lights up, but won't go into a cleaning cycle. Oddly, the dry cycle works, the tank still empties. One thing of note, is when I take the water tank out, the light no longer turns red.

Do I just email them?

14. austingonzo

austingonzo Forum Resident

Yes, that's one way to engage Support. I think I checked my purchase email and/or their web page to initiate my claim.

15. AnalogJ

Let us know what happens.

16. vinylandwine

vinylandwine Well-Known Member

I got mine this week and so far have used it to clean some new albums I had, I used 2 drops of the Tergitol as a no rinse solution and the results were very nice (dead quiet and nice sound). I now want to clean some vinyl that I have had problem tics/pops (previously cleaned with KAB) that may be caused by scratches vs dirt but want to see if the Humminguru can make a difference. I bought an extra water tank so I could do a rinse cycle but I'm not sure the best way to accomplish this. I want to clean 5 or 6 albums at a time. Do I do an auto cycle to clean and then dry with the 4 to 5 drops and then rinse with distilled water using the auto cycle again? In other words run each album through two auto cycles, refilling the basin on the second auto cycle with distilled water only. I would prefer to just do the clean cycle with the 4 to 5 drop solution without drying and then after all 6 albums are done use the auto cycle to rinse and dry. If I do it this way do I just buy a dish rack and put the wet albums in the rack until all the 6 albums run through the clean cycle, and then put them sequentially through a rinse and dry auto cycle?

17. AnalogJ

You have to be there when it happens, but to can pause the machine right after the wash water completes its drain from the basin. Then you add the straight water into the basin, remove the tank with the wash water and replace it with the now empty tank, and do the auto cleaning cycle.

18. vinylandwine

So this skips the extra drying cycle I was doing with two autos. When you say pause, I assume you mean first pause right after it drains and then cancel the drying cycle (long press)? And you take the album out before pouring in the straight water, do you just put it on a clean towel?

19. AnalogJ

Yes. I'd put it on a lintless cloth, if possible. But yes, do the long press after the basin empties and when it starts the drying cycle. Fill the basin, reinsert the record, and do another auto-cycle. I've done that. I'm not sure if the record actually gets any quieter. I use one drop of G-Sonic with one auto-clean cycle, and the record comes out impressively quiet.

trumpetplayer likes this.
  20. vinylandwine

Ok, I get what you are doing. I did it yesterday doing two auto cycles, so far have listened to 2 of the 5, one was a nice Frank Sinatra mono LP that still had some light tics and I did notice some overall improvement. The other album showed no improvement, might have to manually clean it again, I actually know there is organic material in the grooves, just can't seem to get it out.

I am thinking of getting a dish rack and just doing cleaning cycles with the 4/5 drops of Tergitol over 6 albums, taking them out and letting them sit until finished with the 6 albums. And then doing auto cycles with the straight water to rinse. In doing the two auto cycles yesterday I noticed the straight water had some foaming that was caused by the what was left over after I drained the detergent water. I know it was miniscule and probably didn't effect the rinse cycle.

Thanks!
    PS anyone have a link to a dish rack on Amazon that worked well in holding and protecting vinyl

21. AnalogJ

1) Get yourself an enzymatic cleaning fluid for records. MoFi makes one, for one. It'll get stuff like mold, mildew, smoke, etc., stuck to the vinyl.

2) For a dishrack, get one that has a rubber or silicone coating so that it's gentle on the records.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  22. vinylandwine

23. Pata

Pata Forum Resident

Can someone post a photo of their humminguru PSU? I stored it among others and now I can’t figure out which is the correct one :doh:

24. rediffusion

[​IMG]

Pata likes this.
  25. Pata

Pata Forum Resident

Thanks, got it

rediffusion likes this.