In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reddyempower, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I've had my LP for a few years now, but have no idea which issue it might be. The number is the same as the original and so is the cover, but the label is white.
    IMG_6332.jpg

2. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Looks like an 80's issue. Probably '84 or later.

3. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I just got a new Rhino pressing of this on translucent gold coloured vinyl.
    The pressing is fine but I'm a little suspicious that it's from a digital source. Especially given Rhino did the remastered CD.
    Any ideas/comments ?

4. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

A little while ago did a needledrop of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". When I do drops I usually like to have a reference, if possible, to help determine if something I hear, such as a drop out, exists in another source. If it does then I can assume it's in some previous master rather than being inherent in the particular vinyl copy I might have.

In working with an "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" LP (specifically just the title track) I came across some notable sonic differences between the LP I transferred and various CD versions I happen to have. In reading this thread (and a couple other threads I found here) I see that, while some folks have mentioned about more top end or more bottom end and others have stated their preference for one disc over another, I’ve not seen anyone point out what I feel is another significant difference.

It seems that there are two types of masters out there. One of them has notably more reverb/echo than the other. The Rhino & MFSL CDs are good representatives of the master that contains more reverb/echo. A drier master was used on the earlier US ATCO CD (A2 33250) and the Japan SHM CD (VICW-70002). For a better idea here's a sampling that demonstrates this difference:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/szvabw

The first sample in the audio file is from the Japan SHM disc which is drier. That is then immediately followed by the MFSL disc which has the more reverb/echo. If you listen attentively to, and compare, that first drum hit in the intro you should be able to easily discern the differences. The reverb/echo of the MFSL disc carries over into the left channel. You don't get this with the drier version. I've also included some audio from later in the track for comparison, again starting with the Japan SHM audio and followed by the MFSL disc audio.

The LP I transferred is this one:
    [​IMG]
    (matrix number: STC-681330-2S, 1+, C1)

While it's not a first pressing it is an early-ish pressing. This pressing uses the drier master and here's a sample from it based on the audio example provided earlier:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/e1elc9

With regards to the reverb/echo this LP is sonically closer to the Japan SHM disc (and earlier US ATCO disc) than it is to the MFSL disc (or Rhino disc).

I also have this pressing:
    [​IMG]
    (matrix number: STC-681330-C, MR, 12026-X, D.T.2)

This pressing also uses the drier master.

At first I was thinking that the drier master was all that was originally released on vinyl back in the day but now I'm not so sure.

Elsewhere, I came across another vinyl transfer of this LP by someone else. It has the master with more reverb/echo. As my inquiries have gone unanswered, I've been unable to determine just which pressing in particular was used. It may be a later re-issue pressing, I just don't know.

So I’m curious as to when the versions that have more echo/reverb appeared on vinyl. Does anyone out there have a vintage pressing, as opposed to a re-issue from the last decade or so, that uses the master with more reverb/echo and could they share a description (or scan) of the label as well as the dead wax info?

-DLedin

marcfeld69 likes this.
  5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I can give the dead wax info...but no label scan...

6. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

If you're saying that you have an early pressing with the more reverb/echo then a description of your label would suffice (rather than a scan) plus the matrix info.

Thanks.

-DLedin

7. motorcitydave

The label is the tri-color one. stereo and atco records is in white lettering.

Matrix info:

st-c-681329-b dt1

st-c-681330-b dt2

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I wonder if the multis exist.
    Stan Ross mentioned in a interview with Michael Fremer after Gold Star closed in the mid-80's that they had a lot of Atlantic's tapes. They called Atlantic and they wern't interested:

You wonder if the multis for Buffalo Springfield and Iron Butterfly were in that stash.

Ross interview

9. DLedin

DLedin Forum Resident

Thank you, :thumbsup:

-DLedin

10. motorcitydave

You're welcome. :cool:

11. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I have this one also.
    Is this the first press ?

12. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

My favorite version is the one on the soundtrack for "Less Than Zero". :D

13. motorcitydave

Good question. I'd like to know as well...

14. motorcitydave

That's good too. :cool:

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

After going through and rejecting many noisy yellow-label copies (haven't yet found a 1st pressing), I found one of these '80s pressings in a thrift store. I was pleasantly surprised by how good it sounded, and the vinyl was very quiet too, much better than most '70s Atlantic pressings.

16. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

On the Live album version does anyone have any info on the off-mike vocals. Encouraging crowd participation I think.

17. I have also answered this same question on another thread. I bought the reel on Ampex X-250, played it on my Akai 4000 and compared it to all the other versions I have. Its exactly the same. Definitely no extra 30 seconds of drum solo. Sorry! Perhaps the 8-track has an extension at the point of program change-over.....

Bas Möllenkramer
    Soesterberg
    The Netherlands

18. I have about 15 different pressings of this album, both vinyl and CD.
    By FAR the best I have heard is the recently made vinyl reissue by RHINO.
    I play this on a Garrard 401 with an Ortofon arm, an Ortofon moving coil cartride and Ortofon moving coil preamp. Then straight into my Denon amp. This album now sounds like never before. It's as if the musicians are having more fun playing!
    Perhaps this also reveals limitations of my CD-player! I would readily admit that.

So....the RHINO vinyl is the best version out there!

Bas Möllenkramer
    Soesterberg
    The Netherlands

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Link please ? I can't seem to find a Rhino anywhere online...

20. I saw them perform at the Electric Theater in Chicago in 1968. Da-Vida was the last song they palyed. When they were done, the guy playing the organ set off a smoke bomb. Poor performance with a stupid ending.

21. You are right there are versions with more or less reverberation. But there are also versions with more or less stereo separation.

I have an early tricolor Atco label pressing with white stereo logo and small hardwritten matrix numbers. At about 9:30 minutes, during the drum-plus-organ piece, the stereo separation is not perfect. If you listen to the left channel only you can hear the drums very clearly. Then if you listen to the ATCO CD or the Japanese Victor CD, you will find that the stereo separation is far more perfect. The left channel has almost no drums at all.

Strangely, the reel-to-reel also has the poorer separation, so my plausible conclusion would be that a reduced-width mix was made so that the record cutting engineer's job would be easier. The reel-to-reel was then also made from this mix. Mind you...this is only a suggestion. I welcome comments from anyone who knows FAR more about cutting records than I do.....Steve?

The ATCO CD and the Japanese CD appear to be made from the same master, ie low reverb and best separation. The MOFI CD is made from a source which has best separation but more reverb.

My research is ongoing.

Up until this research I would have claimed that the MOFI CD was the preferred mix but now having listened far more closely I have to honestly admit that the early ATCO CD is preferable. I have only just heard for the first time ever, that there are handclaps in the second verse. These are almost lost on the MOFI but clearly audible on the ATCO and the Japanese discs.

I welcome all comments, also if you disagree. Please feel free to challenge me on any of these findings. I would be happy to post photos and matrix numbers if required.

Bas Möllenkramer
    Soesterberg
    The Netherlands

22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have 6 different copies of this record on LP and CD. I recently did a vinyl shoot out based on the copies that I have and this is what I came yo with.

ATCO Rhino Reissue with translucent yellow vinyl = Good sound with more lower mids.
    ATCO yellow label Monarch pressing from late 1969 = Best sounding second pressing.
    ATCO yellow and white Canadian pressing late 1960's early 70's = Very bright and dry to my ears.
    ATCO purple and tan first pressing from 1968=Similar to the Monarch yellow label. (haven't made up my mind which I like better).
    The cd's I have were inferior sounding.

Unless you are hung up on the original pressings of this record. The Rhino pressing is pretty good. There are still some new copies floating around out there and not that expensive. Finding good condition copies of original pressing is kind of difficult because like Creedence and Steppenwolf records, they were party records and god only knows what kind of mental state or discount store record players were n play.

I would like to hear the George Piros version. I am sure it sounds pretty decent.

DK Pete likes this.
  23. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

24. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

This may be my favorite version

25. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

I have a yellow ATCO with those great initials, 'at/gp' only on one side, but it's the important side thank goodness. It sounds great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.