In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reddyempower, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray7027

Ray7027 Senior Member

I bought a new vinyl copy a couple of years ago. Its on the yellow Atco label
    and both sides almost touch the label. Sounds pretty good. Maybe they used the Bill Inglot tape. Almost looks like an RTI pressing.

2. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Are you SURE it was longer or were you SMOKING SOMETHING?????????:laugh:

3. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

DEFINATLY an RCA Record Club pressing....

4. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

I'm a little late here, but I've got a question about this album on CD. Not too long ago, I went to FYE and found a strange looking version. It looked like an early ATCO pressing, but it had a Rhino sticky strip across the top of it. There were a few of these, and they were brand new. They seemed to be the "newest" version. Anyone know if they have the early ATCO mastering, the deluxe Rhino mastering, or a new mastering? Also, how hard is it to find the MFSLs? I've only seen a few, and they were way out of my budget.

5. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

Oh I love side one! I don't even know the last time I heard the full version of the title track. Each song on side one just knocks my socks off. And yes, Heavy & Ball are both great & underrated LPs as well. I spin them quite frequently.

Here's a cool clip on youtube... haven't seen too much footage of these guys from back then: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4xfaA_9ycD8

6. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I did something like that, on a Windows Movie Maker from my file of the song, and clipped and edited it..(Great way to do thsat audio stuff as well as visuall) And do you want to know how long my version of "Light my fire" was once I got done with the re-editing on movie Maker *using a FIRE graphic no less!) OVER AN HOUR LONG!!! (extending ONLY the LP/CD-only instr. part.);)

Did a recreation of the 1969 45 rpm version of "Beginnings" by Chicago that way too.

7. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Thought I would bump this.

Today I picked up the original ATCO CD of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Now that I've read a few threads it looks like the Rhino is the "well liked" version around here - or the MFSL.

Well, I bought this new, sealed...and interestingly enough the CD inner ring says RE-4.

Ya think it might be the Rhino mastering after all? I have absoutely no idea when this was done and I have not heard it yet.

8. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I saw them twice - once after Savoy Brown in Philly and again at Randolph-Macon College near Richmond, VA. My opinion after two shows - they were bad in concert.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I saw them in the early 90s - with 3 original members. I thought they were pretty good. Ron Bushy still has it and did a good job of replicating the drum solo from the album version.

10. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

I saw them at the Newport Pop Festival in the same year with the same performance described above except for the lights as this was outdoors in the afternoon.

One difference in opinion: this was not only not a great show, but one of the silliest performances I've ever seen. Huh, huh.:)

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I like the Rhino release a lot and have a "deluxe edition" of it by Rhino (CD-booklet-VHS). And, of course (...), the Greek pressing of it from my school days in the early 80s.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I recently got the MFSL CD of this. It has a "single version" of the title track which chops it down to under 3 minutes. Are there any longer edits of this? Something in the 4-8 minute range? Something like that might be nice to use for a comp, without having to sit through the entire thing.

13. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

I only know of 3 versions

- Edited short Single release
    - Long Studio
    - Long Live

All are on the Rhino or MFSL Gold. The Mofi gold gets my vote for the sound but i've not seen one i can afford.

You might have to do your own editing for a mid-length.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

1968-Atco yellow label
    1995-Inglot remastered Rhino w/bonus tracks
    Yesterday-Sealed MFSL from the classifieds here

:righton:

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The MFSL is better but I would not recommend overspending on it, the Rhino is not bad and a lot cheaper. I did not know prices went through the roof on the Ultradisc.

Did the Rhino come with a 3-D cover at one time?

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yes, and it still does afaik.

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Back in the '80s I found at the Altoona, PA Salvation Army a white label promo 45 of IGDV in mint condition, and inside the sleeve was a printed note from Atco saying something like "Since you've probably worn out your original copy of this single, we are reservicing it to you. Thanks for making IGDV a smash!" or something along those lines. The note has a 1969 date.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's what I'm thinking. Anyone else done this? I'm curious what parts you snipped. The short single release is pretty good, I just wish it had another minute or two.

19. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

It is highly unlikely the old CD has the same mastering as the Rhino.

Warner sometimes keep the unremastered versions in print, even though a remastered version is already out.
    E.g. Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Ramones - Rocket to Russia, Talking Heads - Songs About Buildings and Food, etc...

20. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

That's definitely an RCA pressing, can tell by the label. What are the matrixes?

21. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The Rhino has one of those lenticular 3d things. At least mine does.

MFSL is close to 3 figures now and I feel it is simply not worth the money. The MOFI is very loud on the full version and does not so well at high volumes I think I even remember some clipping. The live, single versions and rest of album are better. The Rhino to me has decent sound especially the single version. For the full version of the title track on CD I still prefer the original 80's CD even though it's from an inferior source and is more murky it just seems right on that track to me.

22. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

The Rhino Deluxe, It is remastered and sounds awesome!

23. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

MFSL.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I didn't know until today that the MFSL came out 3 years after the Rhino Deluxe !?!?!? I wondered how the Rhino logo came to be on the MFSL artwork...interesting.

25. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I just got Ball on vinyl not too long ago. Sounds pretty good, and interesting songs! I have Heavy on cd. That's pretty cool too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.