Imaging driving me crazy!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SATLOS, Apr 25, 2024.

1. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I've been trying to solve this issue unsuccessfully for several days now and its driving me insane... The above image represents how my "center image" (i.e. vocalists, main percussion, etc.) appear when listening to the same recording from different formats.

The green circle (good!) is where Eddie Vedder appears in the soundstage when listening to "No Code" through Apple Music lossless.

The green circle (bad!) is where Eddie Vedder appears in the soundstage when listening to "No Code" on vinyl.

This "left-of-center" issue is more prevalent on certain records, but it happens enough that I'm really not enjoying my vinyl playback as of late. I've tried moving the right speaker closer/further and changing the toe-in, but nothing seems to help.

Could this be an issue with cartridge alignment? I admit I'm not well-versed in aligning and did it myself using a printed online protractor.

Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated!

Rick58 likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Did you mean red = bad?

SATLOS, Audiofan1 and jonwoody like this.
  3. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Could be a number of things. Maybe cartridge balance off, azimuth could be off, too much anti-skate.

Could be the record.

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

This is an excellent point mkane, SATLOS are you having center image issues with any other records or just that one?

Glmoneydawg and Rick58 like this.
  5. NYC-Blotto

NYC-Blotto Forum Resident

It’s your socks

6. DaveWin

DaveWin Parasound fan boy extraordinaire.

Seems like a non issue. There has to be something else bigger to deal with? Sorry to sound like a dick.

7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Does seem like it has to be something with the record, or player.

One reason I love my McIntosh C2300, it has remote control of everything including balance. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

beowulf likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

We should all "Like" your post to show our agreeing with you.

9. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

That is very strange, when I had my mini monitors set up in nearfield and no balance control, I just moved one speaker (usually the right one for some reason) back-and-forth just a little bit to balance the soundstage. It didn’t take much, sometimes only a half inch or something. in fact, usually a half-inch or something.

With your speakers further away, it probably will take more movement. Move the right speaker forward and at some point the center vocal must move to center. If it doesn’t, I don’t know what to tell you.

PS: does your amplifier or preamp have a mono button? I presume not but that is a good way to set up the speaker balance. Physically move one of the speakers until it’s dead center. Then put it back in stereo, thinking that is the way it should sound on a particular recording.

but having a difference between digital and vinyl is another issue, I’m thinking it has to be the cartridge/setup or something.

tonymichaels, SATLOS and bgiliberti like this.
  10. DaveWin

Most people have bass issues, room modes. Maybe ask the engineer who mastered both formats. How am I doing?

11. Strat-Mangler

Yes, absolutely. Pay a pro to do it properly. Unless you know what you're doing, it might be a mystery forever. Also possible you didn't print the protractor at 100% scale, either... which would make the adjustments pointless as they'd inherently be wrong.

You have 2 carts but didn't mention which one you're using at this time.

12. Strat-Mangler

You didn't understand his issue and you're continuing to dig yourself deep. Delete both posts since you're contributing nothing of value. They're embarrassing, period.

The Pinhead and bever70 like this.
  13. DaveWin

Different formats. There's the answer. Nice looking setup by the way. Pmc?

14. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Just to check, switch the turntable outputs...
    Eddie's voice should move to the right.
    Cart or stylus problem, I would guess...

15. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Play mono recordings. They should be straight down the middle.

Melkboer, macster, Dan Steely and 7 others like this.
  16. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

If you have a MONO record in your collection play it and see where the dead center is while playing it. If it is off then your phono setup is stronger on one side than the other. Also play a mono recording on CD to make sure the CD setup is not off center either.

One or the other is lying to you and is not dead center is my guess. Probably the phono as cartridges and phono sections add another level of complexity into the balance question.

Do you in fact have your mono CD setup so centered it is sharp and dead center ONLY without any bleed at all toward either side of the room even when you move from the "sweet spot?" Not to brag but my own setup you can still hear that mono is ONLY playing in the dead center even when you are standing over to the side wall and listening. It still sounds like there is only ONE speaker and it is ONLY dead center. No wander. Even way off to the side it still won't blur. It still sounds like a separate mono center speaker is doing all the work!

Testing for perfect Mono is important and it should be consistent across platforms. CD, Phono and Streaming should all play the same mono recordings dead center without any wander at all. After you get that far all you need do is listen and move the boxes (without disturbing the center) until the stereo "field" is a mile wide and evenly populated by orchestra instruments from side to side with no gaps. Does your setup do that?

Setup is all important folks. Get it right and you will discover a whole lot more information is lurking in those recordings. I'm telling you it's crazy. CRAY-ZEE! The Doc

17. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Hey now...at least he had the courtesy to wear them.

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

play a digital source and see if you have the same issue.

19. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

Use Audacity to make a mono recording using one channel copied identically to the other.
    Also, are you sure that the Apple mix is the same as the vinyl?

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Looks like listening position is closer to the right speaker.

21. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Read the entire post

jonwoody and timind like this.
  22. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Beat me to it

Doctor Fine and Lawrencer2003 like this.
  23. ossicle2brain

ossicle2brain Forum Resident

The guy that cut the vinyl had an off day.

Try a mono album. Or a test record with pink noise.

Or try being less OCD. Not that I should talk. :)

Doctor Fine and Glmoneydawg like this.
  24. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Yep..can't tell you the number of times I've thought i had a problem,only to discover the engineer had smoked a "fatty" on the job.This is a situation where digital can be your friend...remastered at a later date(hopefully)by someone that could hold it together.

The Pinhead, jonwoody and DaveWin like this.
  25. Lawrencer2003

Lawrencer2003 Musical Omnivore

Agree a third source like a CD player would be interesting.

Glmoneydawg likes this.