I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 14, 2004.

1. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

What is your album catalog number - PC 9604? I have a '70's reissue, KCS 9604, I just put it into the 'Listen to' pile.

The album was issued in 1968 on vinyl, apparently there were three '70's reissues, an '80's reissue (yours), and a 2004 reissue (all on vinyl, according to Goldmine Record Album Price Guide 2nd Edition, copyright 2001).

2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I don't knw if this is the right thread to post this in, but I got my mono copy of JWH from Sundazed a couple of days ago and it confirms the feeling I've had for quite some time that mono is the way to go with this album. The stereo mix always seemed unnatural to me, so I'm finally glad to have this. One complaint: I find that the vinyl is a bit noisy between songs, even after several cleanings (makes me wonder how a mint copy of the original Columbia mono pressing sounds).

Among the highlights: the bass on Frankie Lee is more pronounced, Dylan's voice is mixed higher (more compressed?) on All Along the Watchtower, to good effect, and the harmonica is more tolerable throughout. I don't hear great depth in this mix but, again, it's more powerful than the stereo. Given the spare arrangements, mono just makes more sense. Highly recommended.

Jason

mpayan likes this.
  3. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Jason, I agree that the mono mix sounds more powerful-- love that bass on Frankie Lee! My Sundazed copy sounds very quiet between tracks, so maybe you got a bad copy.

I had the 2004 Columbia stereo LP issue (the one on 180 gm vinyl), and the harmonica was extremely shrill on that copy-- I got rid of it as soon as I got the Sundazed mono. I would avoid the recent (2000's) Columbia vinyl stereo issues of Dylan's albums, as I was disappointed with the copies I had of them (Blood on the Tracks was pressed slightly fast). On the other hand, the vinyl versions of "Love and Theft" and "Time out of Mind" sound pretty good to me.

4. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

So, may I ask this on this thread:

Is it true that only the JWH sounds better in the original CD version? The remastered redbook CDs are the way to go for the rest of the Dylan redbook catalogue?

5. street legal

street legal Senior Member

For what it's worth, I've picked up all of the Dylan SACD's except for JWH, based on comments from these forums. The redbook CD's should have the same mastering as the SACD's.

6. dead of night

Yes but what I meant was, comparing the remastered redbook Dylan CDs to the original unremastered versions, is only the JWH superior in its original, unremastered version?

7. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

Some here prefer the original CD release of "Street Legal", since it is the original mix-- the remaster CD is a remix. That doesn't mean it "sounds better" than the remaster, but it is more representative of the original album. Best to get both the original and remaster CD of that album (especially since "Street Legal" seems to be an Official Steve Hoffman Forum Cult ClassicTM ).

8. dead of night

Thanks toby, so it's safe to say that the original, JWH sounds warmer and less fatiguing than the remastered version?

9. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i found this for $5 at amoeba SF yesterday. thanks for the tip.

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

That's really frustrating. The tracks themselves are very quiet but as soon as the last note of the song fades, here comes the surface noise. I guess I either have to live with it or buy another copy. I'll probably end up buying another copy. Argh!

Jason

11. dead of night

Okay, I've just ordered JWH, catalogue #9604. Is this the good one, the one that Steve referenced in his original post? The number that Steve gave had more numbers than this. Did i order the one he referenced in his original post?

I'm very concerned that I get the correct one, saving me the hassle of return postage, post office trips and headaches.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I looked it up on amazon, that appears to be the original CD pressing from 1990. :righton:

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

It was requested to bump this thread.

Why? I don't know.

So here you go!

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A good request to bump the thread because this is a great sounding CD.

15. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Some folks just like their threads bumpy, I guess. :D

16. Works for me. I'm coming very late to the Dylan party and I didn't know this about the original JWH CD. Thanks much, I'll track one down.

-s1m0n-

17. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

It is better than the SACD - Thanks Steve !

18. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I foolishly sold my older copy of JWH when the sacd came out. My wife loves Dylan and this was one of about ten cd's I would play at night to go to sleep. I played the sacd twice and my wife out of the blue told me not to play it any more. She didn't know why, it was always one of her favorites that we've listened to our whole lives. At about the same time I read this thread and figured out it was the mastering. It was too harsh to be the listening experience that it was all those years. I never had a big hifi setup in the bedroom. This is just from a boombox type setup. When I played it on the main stereo it was more apparent.

19. I will have a look for this version but I'm pretty happy with the SACD.

20. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

Anyone know anything about this Mono CD ? I didn't realize Colombia made these ? [​IMG][​IMG]

21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

So in a way, since they used LESS revealing monitors, they actually got somewhat better sound, even though they didnt realize it at the time...wow....kinda amazing in a way, same with the old console hi-fi speakers of the time, stuff sounded reallly good in a way, but until the last say 25-30 years we didnt realize how it TRULY sounded, great steve:righton:

22. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

They didn't. It's a bootleg.

Toby Latimer likes this.
  23. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I've listened to this album a lot less since I made the same mistake as you.
    Keep meaning to pick up another copy.

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Exactly right. I was listening to a Nat Cole session and right on the tape (the stereo tape that they kept recording) the producer yelled "playback" and you could hear them winding back the mono version to hear in the control room. The song was played back so loud in the control room (as the stereo tape was still running and recording) that you could hear the sound leak from the control room over the open mics in the studio. The playback must have been ear shattering over the Altec. Who can judge anything about SOUND that way? What they were trying to listen for was the performance. When they got a good one they released it. All these years later it sounds amazing but at the time I doubt they could hear any subtleties in the recording at all. That blows my mind.

McLover likes this.
  25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Yeah, it sounds like Jaco Pastorius is playing bass on the remaster... I mean, nothing against Jaco, but it's very disconcerting. This may be the best example of a "remaster" changing the character of an album. I'm glad I kept my old copy.