I Love The Searchers!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob LoVerde, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Wish I could answer that, but I've not heard the disc yet. Thanks for answering my question though :).

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Apparently all these Audio Fidelity disks are mail-order only. None at Media Play. Not even one title. Same with Best Buy, and Best Buy had them until recently. At the local Best Buy the SACD section has been demolished and the dvd-audio disks are now back to being mixed in with the DVD music videos again (which is where they used to be originally).

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Did you forget about their Sire albums? They were certainly around longer than the Beatles and the Stones haven't "progressed" since the 70s

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Longtime favorites of mine, too. I said this recently in another thread, but it bears repeating here...The Searchers aren't known for their original tunes (though they did write some very good ones). But they and producer Tony Hatch deserve much credit for their arranging abilities.

When you listen to the originals of "Someday We're Gonna Love Again" and "Don't Throw Your Love Away," you realize how inventive The Searchers' reworking of them was. It's usually blasphemous to prefer a white cover to an R&B original. But while both Barbara Lewis's and The Orlons' originals are very good, The Searchers win both rounds, IMHO.

Beyond this, both their guitar sound and vocal blend were big influences on The Byrds. Always a pleasure to listen to it. Out of their many great songs, my two favorites are "Each Time" and "When I Get Home."

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

On my SACD comp their version of "THIS EMPTY PLACE" came from a Dionne Warwick 45... I think it's what you hear first that imprints on you, yes?

6. downhill

downhill Senior Member

Dang I love this place..Thanks for the heads up, Steve! I've two ordered. One for me and one for a friend who loves this band...

7. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

The Animals weren't bad, either...the ambiance of some of their songs seems unreachable today...

When I Was Young....Don't Bring Me Down...We Gotta Get Outa This Place....etc....

8. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

To answer my own question: an extremely close look at the back cover (in print only a CIA codebreaker could read -- it's printed in tiny blue letters against a blue backdrop :mad: ) states that it was mastered by Bill Inglot.

Still curious what your participation was, Steve, to receive the "Special Thanks to Steve Hoffman" credit in the liner notes.

9. Steve Hoffman

I found them some copy dubs of stereo where Pye could only find mono as I recall. Something like that..

10. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Steve, how does the sound of the vinyl compare to the sound of the SACD?

11. Steve Hoffman

What vinyl? The old Rhino vinyl?

12. Gardo

The upcoming MsMusic vinyl you mentioned above.

13. Steve Hoffman

Oh, duh, sorry.

The LP sounds just like the master tapes. Never compared the SACD to the LP as there really ain't a point in doing so.

If you wish, you can do the test and report back.. :)

14. Gardo

Well, I probably will--great title and well worth it. But why do you say there's no point in comparing the SACD to the LP?

15. Steve Hoffman

For what reason would I do that? I have both... Really, 'splain, Lucy!

Let's get this thread back on track; the Searchers are neat!

16. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Would you only use this on this kind of recording, or would you use it more often?

17. Steve Hoffman

I've just used it a few times, when "neutral" wasn't makin' it (if you know what I mean..) I mastered Nat "King" Cole's LOVE IS THE THING CD through it (as documented by CNN!)

18. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member Thread Starter

It's cool how sometimes, instead of fiddling with an EQ, you can simply patch in a different piece of gear or even use a different interconnect to achieve the effect you desire without even turning a knob!

19. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I have that PRT Searchers CD with all those mono mixes. Although the SACD sounds great I would also highly recommend getting the PRT collection if you can find it. There's a certain magical quality to the mono mixes that every Searchers fan needs to hear. As long as you have the SACD and the PRT disc you have the best digital Searchers I've yet heard. The MoFi "It's The Searchers/Take Me For What I'm Worth" left me wholly unimpressed....

20. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

The 40th Anniversary collection on Castle has many of the mono mixes of the early singles, plus many rare post-Pye tracks on RCA, Sire and PRT. I think its the most "well rounded" comp if you want a complete history of the group.

The Searchers also made some great recordings for Sire records in 79-80, you can find them on Raven's "The Rockford Sessions" - though some of the sound quality on that CD is hit or miss. It sounds like Raven recieved different copies of the tapes than what was used on the Sire albums, or they sadly deteriorated over the past 20+ years.

PS: Can Steve do a simular comp on the Kinks hits?

21. Gardo

They are neat, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but you asked for an explanation Ricky, so here 'tis :) : I'm just curious what you think about the difference in sound between the two formats in this case. If you'd rather not comment on this issue, that's cool; I just thought it was worth asking.

22. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

If you get the Rhino and AF discs, you're nicely covered for the basic Searchers stereo(the Rhino, mainly for "Bumble Bee"). The mono is scattered all over the place, but it would seem the earlier the comp, the better off you are soundwise.

:ed:

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

back when the AF disc came out, I suggested some Sire tracks if Steve ever got to do a Volume 2.

I see that the disc is available through Amazon if anyone is looking. If you've got this disc on your long list, move it to the top! You can almost feel the 'breathy' vocals blow through your ears! (even on the redbook layer!)

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a sealed set of the 2 Searchers MFSL CD's, any idea what they are worth? thanks Guys!

25. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Rob, as I know you know, sometimes even turning the knob a smidge is much too much! But as you say, just having the gear in line can do wonders to make the music live!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.