I forgot how great Echo and the Bunnymen are

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, May 6, 2017.

1. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Still no news if What are You Going to Do with Your Life os gonna be reissued anytime soon?

2. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I would think that they’d release the new album first as it was finished over a year ago.

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Played Live in Liverpool last night and really enjoyed it! :righton:

4. peter

peter Senior Member

I need to get that Live in Liverpool.

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Spun Siberia this morning, the last good Bunnymen album to my ears. :cool:

6. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Agreed.

JeffMo likes this.
  7. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I also agree. Too bad it’s been nearly 20 years since that was released.

AlienRendel and JeffMo like this.
  8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

So… this shop in Miami called Mynset Music has been having a blowout sale, and everything on vinyl is 60% off. Managed to pick up the Siberia vinyl reissue there for a VERY reasonable price and will be digging in this weekend for the first time since the album was new.

They still had some Bunnythings left in stock if anyone wants to grab something on the cheap. You have to buy at least two items to qualify for the 60% off.

Search: 13 results found for "Bunnymen"

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Let us know what you think of the album and the vinyl pressing!

The MEZ and hutlock like this.
  10. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Oh I definitely know the album already—I actually agree that it is their last great one. Just have never heard the vinyl before, so I will report on that!

AlienRendel, The MEZ and JeffMo like this.
  11. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

One of the top Indie bands in the 80s!

12. Jimmy Chop

Jimmy Chop Forum Resident

A very very good album.
    Enjoy the music!

JeffMo and AlienRendel like this.
  13. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

Last good one to the ears.

After that they hit the brick wall of........brickwalling.

14. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Love love love the Bunnymen, but been in decline for years album wise. The first few albums ill always go back to as just fantastic !

Garageflower likes this.
  15. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

The problem with band is Will has been creatively sidelined over the years and is now effectively just a guitarist for McCullochs songs. Will accepts this but hey its a living. I was always waiting after Evergreen for them to do something a bit 'out there' but they just got progressively dull, which nobody wants the Bunnymen to be.

16. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I forgot how spectacularly bad Ian's Holy Ghosts album is, well the "orchestral reworks from the union chapel" part of the album. It turns me off from even listen to the album proper. What a bizarre selection of songs, each sounding like the last and the, the worst "production" job ever. Play a drinking game with cymbal swells and timpani rolls. Flat, lifeless and just a mess.

I did listen to what are you gonna do with your life recently and was again reminded what a fine album this is. Great singing, songs and production. My fifth favourite Bunnymen record, even of it is a little safe or AC.

J. Frank Parnell and AlienRendel like this.
  17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I agree, I wonder how much money Will and Ian will make these days. touring a lot, but minimal sales. Would Killing Moon drive much in royalties?

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

At this point, probably not. The real revenue would be touring/merchandise/corp. gigs, etc.

It's Felix and AlienRendel like this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It is a great album indeed. Love it.

dubious title and AlienRendel like this.
  20. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Saw them in Newcastle last weekend. McCulloch had a table behind him with around 6 different drinks including a pint of semi skimmed milk. Enjoyed hearing the songs but his voice is barely recognisable now from their heyday. He was in a good mood though and mentioned (more than once) of his memories of being in the side balcony at the same venue to watch David Bowie.

punkmusick and Curveboy like this.
  21. It's Felix

Where did they play? I was there picking up m6 daughter from university last week, didn’t spot the show.

22. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

City Hall. It's an O2 venue now. If you'd gone with your daughter you wouldn't have been out of place. There was quite a few parents there with their kids. This seems to be a trend on the increase. A Tik-Tok or Strange Things phenomenon or both?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    It's Felix likes this.
  23. It's Felix

Normally I check the gigs on the dates I visit or collect them. Seen midlake, Suzanne vega and a cool opera at the sage in the past. I used to go to the city hall when I was a student there. Lloyd Cole, Michelle shocked I remember playing there. 33 years ago or so! Shame I missed the bunny men.

24. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Holds a lot of memories for me too. My first ever gig was there. Then Jerico when I was 13. Had the bug ever since.