I forgot how great Echo and the Bunnymen are

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, May 6, 2017.

1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

They are both excellent. Each of the first four albums are essential.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

In 2022 there are many ways to hear something and avoid a blind buy. :)

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I will continue to defend the Grey album and state all five with original band lineup are essential. :cool:

4. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Which one is this? I would heartily recommend the Do It Clean anthology as it covers the first 5 albums and a couple of b-sides, plus the sound quality is excellent. The Works - a 3CD set - is also very good and covers a greater time span. Crystal Days is another superb one but is 4CDs so might be a bit of a stretch if you’re not sure about them.

Daryl M, aseriesofsneaks and c-eling like this.
  5. villiers terrace

I love Porcupine as it has that eastern bloc influence after Les and Will’s visit to Russia in 1982 so takes them in a slightly different direction to Heaven Up Here. The title track is probably my favourite Bunnymen track of all. If you really want to hear them cutting loose then listen to Burned by Electrafixion - it’s only Mac and Will but it’s an amazing album. As it happens, I’m listening to it right now and it never ceases to amaze me at just how good it is.

6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Was curious on this comp (Do It Clean), Salvo didn't brick it?
    Comp states Lips as being the Single Version, timing suggests the album version, is this correct? US 7 inch runs just over 4 minutes.
    Also, is the Club Remix of Bedbugs an edit? US runs 6:19
    I'm asking due to zero trust in these labels, thanks :laugh:

villiers terrace and Curveboy like this.
  7. villiers terrace

I’m no audiophile and mostly listen to music through earbuds while out walking but the tracks on that compilation sound better to me than their counterparts on either the original CDs or the 25th anniversary editions. I won’t claim that they sound better than my original vinyl or the recent remasters though.

Lips Like Sugar runs 4:52, Bedbugs & Ballyhoo 6:09. Comes in a nice digipak with 16 page booklet containing pictures of magazine covers and record sleeves. Check out the images on Discogs:

Echo & The Bunnymen - Do It Clean - An Anthology 1979-1987

I picked mine up for £6 new over here which was remarkably good value.

c-eling and manicpopthrill like this.
  8. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

I love Heaven Up Here but also love equally Porcupine. Porcupine has more song songs but the orchestration is very clever. The two singles The Back of Love and The Cutter are some of their best work, though I love side 2 even more so, especially Higher Hell and Gods Will Be Gods.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  9. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Ok, maybe it is essential, but I still think it ranks last of the 5.

10. SatchelJose

SatchelJose Forum Resident

Welp, I finally listened to all of the first four after just having Ocean Rain for years. Initial thoughts...

Crocodiles: I really like the raw energy here. Great moody post punk songs. Just a strong batch of songs with great execution. Love how tight these guys can play. This one might be the most fun.

Heaven up Here: Similar to Crocodiles, but cranked up to 11. Songs sound a little beefed up and the drums are punchy. Love it.

Porcupine: Love the psychedelic elements on this album. Great use of strings; not overbearing but used in interesting ways. This album is a great bridge between the first 2 and Ocean Rain. Might like this one the best as it combines all the elements that I enjoy so well.

Ocean Rain: I got this one a few years ago and enjoyed it. Someone described it as a cinematic album and I would agree. While I think it is great, I have to be in the mood for it. Being my first Bunnymen album, I had felt that the songs were a little smooth (maybe too smooth for my tastes) and wondered what they would sound like with more of an edge. I now know!

Overall, awesome band. Been trying to fill in musical gaps, and the 80s is a big one for me. Glad that I indulged! I guess I need to listen to the self titled, eh? Though, I guess the smoother, poppier direction continues from here?

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Next check out the 1997 Album, Evergreen, especially the Song, ‘Just A Touch Away’:righton:.

SatchelJose likes this.
  12. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The pomposity and bitterness of NME (and Melody Maker) was the issue here. None of their UK Punk and new wave bands they championed made it big out of the UK including the Bunnymen. Very sore point for them and a lot of journalists have made that point since.

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Somewhere in the mid-1990's Ian and Will got back together and formed a new band, Electrafixion. It was a spectacular union of Echo and some harder edge stuff. They released an album (Burned) and several EP's and singles before they reformed the Bunnymen for Evergreen. I dare say that Electrafixion is my favorite period.

I'd say Evergreen, Flowers and Siberia do a good job of capturing their early glory. What Are You Going To Do With Your Life? is very good, but maybe a bit too much of the slickness you are talking about for the self-titled 80's album. The albums after Siberia are more of a mixed bag and don't sound very good between the mixing and mastering choices.

14. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Spot on.

findog3103 and Curveboy like this.
  15. villiers terrace

As mentioned above (and by me in every Bunnymen thread, including this one) you need to listen to Burned - it’s a fabulous album and not at all smooth. Also there are a couple of under rated Bunnymen b-sides that are worth checking out - Rollercoaster (off Lips Like Sugar) and Antelope (off Nothing Lasts Forever).

16. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

For b-sides, I'll add Broke My Neck, Fish Hook Girl, and Razor's Edge from Electrafixion, but there's many more good ones.

Curveboy likes this.
  17. villiers terrace

Angels & Devils being one of them - better than the a-side in my opinion. Do It Clean was originally a b-side in the UK as well and also better than the main track.

In other news, I see they’re opening for The Stones at Anfield in June.

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. Criswell

Criswell Of course I've had it in the ear before

They just announced a US tour and they're coming to my city. I'll likely bring my 17 year old son... who is older than I was the first time I saw them.

Can't wait.

JeffMo, AlienRendel and Curveboy like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I far prefer the re-recorded Angels & Devils than the original.

20. villiers terrace

The Stars, The Ocean & The Moon one? There are some decent versions of tracks on there (and that’s definitely one of the better ones) but if I ever feel the need to hear a particular Bunnymen track, I don’t pull that album out.

21. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Maybe he means the version on the Avalanche EP. I prefer the original.

villiers terrace and Curveboy like this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Shame they weren't able to play Cruel World festival due to the visas.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, I meant the Avalanche era re-record.

villiers terrace likes this.
  24. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

There is something magic about quartets in rock music and the original Echo is one of the more underrated examples. Each quarter brought something unique to the table that resulted in a perfect combo. They made some very good albums post-reformation but, for my money, they were just never the same after De Freitas died. He grounded Echo in much the same way that Bill Berry did for R.E.M. and had such a distinctive style that propelled their music.

ericthegardener and AlienRendel like this.
  25. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Agreed. Even when the newer albums have excellent material, the rhythm section is not as distinctive as with the original quartet.

JeffMo and findog3103 like this.