I bought a Pro-Ject Debut III for RHCP Stadium Arcadium LPs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ShowsOn, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShowsOn

ShowsOn Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just thought I'd mention that I bought a Shure scale, and used that to re-adjust the weight setting of my tone arm. It was out considerably compared to the calibration marks on the weight itself. Either I didn't set the calibration ring to "zero" correctly, or perhaps the ring just isn't very accurate?

Either way, I have noticed a reduction in surface noise now that I have the weight set more accurately.

2. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants New Member

Its usually within 0.1g accurate, if you calibrate it correctly and carefully.

3. ShowsOn

I'm very inexperienced at doing this, so although I know I did it carefully, I don't think I did it correctly. :D

After testing with the Shure scale, I needed to increase the weight up to the 20 marking to get the scale to balance correctly.

I still don't know if it is perfect, I may try balancing it again from the start again, but using the scale to constantly double check.

4. I just bought a TurnTable last night. The last TT I owned was 14 years ago. While I am eagerly anticipating RHCP - A/S, I also saw that a lot of Steve's current work, and future work will be available on vinyl.

I went the used route, and bought a Technics 1900. I'm really looking forward to listening to the vinyl format again. This is going to be fun. :agree:

5. ShowsOn

Great to hear another person that got into vinyl at least partly because of Stadium Arcadium!

6. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I will be honest, the last time I cared about RHCP's music was with their One Hot Minute album. It is nothing against them or the band, but I felt that their music made a slight shift. However, I do like the fact that John Frusciante eventually returned, since I feel he became a very important factor for them when he joined them for Mother's Milk and of course BloodSugarSexMagik.

(Speaking of which, Mr. Hoffman, since this album is a Warner Bros. album, if this can be made available, remaster this for CD AND vinyl. Rick Rubin, if you are lurking these boards, let Hoffman hear the "unmastered" version of the album that features all of the songs as is, without segueways. I have always preferred the "unmastered" version that was on the advance tape.)

But I seriously want to hear this album when the vinyl is available. Coincidentally, I am in the market for a new turntable too.

To ShowsOn, welcome to the world of vinyl. Records were the way I got into music, and that lead to me becoming a collector, a journalist, an artist: it was about the music and what moved me to want to hear more, buy more, write more, and create my own sounds. As I'm sure you know from your own experiences, or just reading this board on any given day, there is a wealth of vinyl out there. New pressings are great, finding still sealed copies is very cool, but if you simply want to listen to the music, just form your own standards and start looking. Records at thrift stores/charity shops can be a mixed bag, because most of the records turned in were not treated with care. Fingers on the surface and not the sides, thrown on a carpet, baby or nephew crawling over it, bongwater spilled in the gatefold, you never know.

What was the statement I read here the other day, that one can buy the same record over and over, but if you find one copy in close-to-pristine condition, it will be rewarding for as long as it is treated with care (or something close to that). You'll find this to be true. It is great to buy a new audiophile or modern pressing, but forums like this have shown that there is great value in knowing how to find an original pressing. One factor can be resell value, but it's value for you as a listener, because it's you that will be buying the records, and maybe one day selling them, especially if you feel you want to scale down your collection and resell some of it.

7. Kaban

Kaban New Member

Hi!

I am a new member here and I just wanted to chime in and say I recently bought a Project Debut III too! I am pretty happy with it.

I have been a vinyl enthusiast since the mid 80s, when CD came out I still bought records and I am glad to say most if not all are in pretty reasonable condition! I decided that it was about time that I gave those records the respect they deserve and considering how much they are all worth, a $400 AUD or so investment seemed very wise. I also wanted to get a turntable with no s-bend tonearm, and not aimed at DJs. The Debut fits the bill.

I can't believe how much better all my records now sound. Compared to my other turntable (domestic model) its like all my records have opened up their true sonic nature to me, and I am sometimes gob-smacked at how real and solid the reproduction is!

I am glad to say I have found some excellent mint or near mint records for bargain prices at thrift stores! The other thing is some people who throw away their albums don't know/like good music or play them anymore so some can be in amazing condition. Also I took some punts on music I probably would never buy usually because of thrift stores!

8. whiskerbiscuit

whiskerbiscuit Forum Resident

Welcome to the world of vinyl! If you haven't already, check out the Vinyl Asylum over at the Audio Asylum website as another source for a wealth of opinions and info.

9. Kaban

Kaban New Member

I love vinyl... I have picked up a heap of new records recently that I am really buzzed about! I also have been having a lot of fun doing needledrops of some of the rarer stuff using MAGIX audio cleaning lab 10. It is absolutely amazing what that program can do to rescue even the most scratched disk and recover quite listenable audio from it!

10. ShowsOn

Hey, I like the way all the BSSM songs flow into each other, I think that is cool. It makes the album sound more like a spontaneous jam, which is what was severly lacking on all previous RHCP albums up to that point.
    Oh totally it is a mixed bag, at the moment I haven't spent more than AUD$6 for an LP. I have got some good stuff, and other stuff that is in terrible condition. But that's OK, I'm still learning about what will sound good by looking at the sides.
    Woah, it's spreading like a virus. Soon Pro-Ject will rename them to iDebuts, and offer white tone arms. :D
    My strike rate in 2nd hand and charity stores about 50% in terms of good sound. But since I'm only paying $1 or $2 for an LP I'm happy to gamble on things that I wouldn't be willing to pay say $10 for on CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.