Hurray! More Blue Note SACDs on the way! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mknappe, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank

Hank Senior Member

:righton: Definitely one of my favorites from this batch, and from Blue Note overall. Soul Samba makes a great companion to this.

2. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Soul Samba, by the way, is an Ike Quebec date, though Burrell is featured on it. Nice late night vibe.

3. yenyen

yenyen Forum Resident

The MIDNIGHT BLUE sacd is indeed great-sounding!:righton:

4. aleg

aleg Member

I second this opinion about Midnight Blue, but Grant Green's Idle Moments and Cannonball Adderly's Somethin' Else are way up on my favourites list as well.

-
    aleg

5. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

In general, I agree with your assessment. As a Chambers fan, I'm glad to have this SACD. The sound has always struck me as rather poor, too. The opening track, in particular, is quite harsh and blaring when the horns come in. Not much can be done, I guess. :sigh:

6. aleg

aleg Member

Make me curious to hear it. It should be on its way by now.

-
    aleg

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Though this has probably been discussed before somewhere on the forum, has anyone compared the Classic HDAD of Somethin' Else to this SACD?

The SACD is near the top of my list too but I can't make myself spend another $30 on the album (when I already have the HDAD) without knowing if it's an improvement.

8. aleg

aleg Member

As a matter of fact I have done this myself.

I prefer the SACD mastering over the HDAD one.
    On the HDAD the Miles Davis trumpet comes over as overly sharp and is on the SACD much more (tonally) in balance with the rest of the instruments.

This is just from the top of my mind, because it has been a while since I put those two beside each other. But I know I did prefer the SACD.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Thanks for the information :)

Would you describe improvement as significant?

10. aleg

aleg Member

It's always difficult to give a definitive or objective answer to such a subjective issue, but for me personally yes, I 'never' play the HDAD anymore, but I must say I like these Hoffman remasters very, very much. To me it is a different sound on the SACD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.