How many Smiths tracks are uncollected thus far?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Keymaster, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Cool! I haven't listened to the single in ages. I'll dig it up this evening and refresh my nerdy memory. :) I tend to like the radio show versions of just about everything from the era of their first album better than the "proper" versions, which is probably why I listen to "Hatful of Hollow" more than any other Smiths album. "This Charming Man" is a notable huge exception to that rule, though.

Regards,

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree that the BBC versions are generally better - the BBC "These Things Take Time" is far more energetic than the studio version, for example. However, the studio version would have slotted nicely into the debut album. For several of the early songs, there are three extant versions: the Troy Tate version from the scrapped first version of the debut, the John Porter version from the officially released version of the debut, and then a John Peel/BBC version.

3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Hey, let's not forget the "New York Mix" of This Charming Man - or maybe we should.......

:D

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The studio "These Things Take Time" is on Louder Than Bombs IIRC.

5. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

The Troy Tate sessions bootleg CD shows what the debut album could have been.

6. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

Well, I have the CD and it is not on there, I just checked. But then I went onto Amazon and it is an additional track. sort of bummed but I have Money Changes Everything on my Sandy Shaw single so all is not lost. Collecting Smiths/Morrissey can be very frustrating for this exact reason.

7. timn420

timn420 Forum Resident

I listen to Hatfull of Hollow the most of my smiths vinyl. I was floored listening to it the first time, having owned the CD's etc. The vinyl really brought out Andy's bass work. Rough Trade made excellent pressings of the Smiths material. I would recommend getting the UK version of their albums.

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

So, what tracks are unique (on CD) to 'Louder Than Bombs'? Under the impression that it was just a US compilation that collected tracks from 'Hatful Of Hollow' and 'This World Won't Listen' (plus 4 single tracks that were already collected on a German Line CDEP (why weren't they on 'Listen', anyway? they should have been included instead of duplicating tracks from 'Queen')), I never bothered to look at it all that closely.

9. Laservampire

Wikipedia is a great resource for finding the unique tracks on Smiths compilations. Unique tracks are marked with an *.

Louder Than Bombs has 4 unique tracks:

"You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" (Alternate Mix to The World Won't Listen)
    "Stretch Out and Wait" (Different Take to The World Won't Listen)
    "These Things Take Time" (Studio Version)
    "Back to the Old House" (Studio Version)

10. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Is this a good or bad thing? Sounds like you enjoy the Tate sessions, but I'm not sure.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Thanks. :righton:

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The original Rough Trade "Louder Than Bombs" CD (Rough CD 255) totally smokes the US Sire/Rough Trade one. I've a feeling the currently available WEA one is a clone of the sucky Sire CD - anyone know if that's true?

The difference is night and day!

13. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

Funny you should mention that...I just downloaded it last night.

14. The Keymaster

One problem is that there are regular studio versions of some of the BBC material from "Hatful Of Hollow."

15. The Keymaster

Is it the Troy Tate version?

16. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

Slightly off topic but Smiths fans will appreciate this snippet. Just got home from the New York Dolls show in The Village, Dublin. Standing right beside me was a very intent looking Morrissey who remained transifxed for the entire show...For those who are interested, the NYD's were introduced on stage by Steve Averill (aka Steven Rapid) from legendary Dublin punk rockers The Radiators From Space, (U2 fans will know him as the man who gave the band their name and who also designs their album covers)
    Wat a nite!

17. The Keymaster

Huh...he must have flown out there for the show, as I understand he now lives out here in Los Angeles.

If I was standing next to Morrissey at a show, I think I'd ask to give the guy a hug!

18. Dublintown

Dublintown Forum Resident

I do believe he has since relocated to somewhere in Italy....but anyway, while he wasn't exactly mobbed tonite but there was a minor shuffle as he left the venue, with folks shaking hands etc...

19. Laservampire

I think I got them all?

For all of the BBC songs on Hatful Of Hollow and Louder Than Bombs:

- The regular studio "Accept Yourself" is on the This Charming Man 1992 reissue single (Not the Remix single)

- The regular studio "Back To The Old House" is on Louder Than Bombs
    - The regular studio "These Things Take Time is on Louder Than Bombs

- The regular studio "Reel Around The Fountain" is on The Smiths (Debut Album)
    - The regular studio "Still Ill" is on The Smiths (Debut Album)
    - The regular studio "This Chaming Man" is on The Smiths (Debut Album)
    - The regular studio "What Difference Does It Make?" is on The Smiths (Debut Album)
    - The regular studio "You've Got Everything Now" is on The Smiths (Debut Album)

- There is no regular studio "Handsome Fellow"
    - There is no regular studio "Is It Really So Strange?"
    - There is no regular studio "Sweet And Tender Hooligan"
    - There is no regular studio "This Night Has Opened My Eyes"

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Only if you get the US SIRE/Rough Trade edition or the current worldwide WEA one - the original UK Rough Trade debut album didn't include "This Charming Man". Same with "How Soon Is Now?" being included on the US Sire/RT and WEA Meat Is Murder discs - wasn't on the original UK release. I much prefer not having those additions having grown up with the original UK versions.

No, but there was a live version (Hacienda?) on the b-side of the "Hand In Glove" single. Is that available anywhere?

21. The Keymaster

It doesn't look like any of these are available anymore.

22. timn420

timn420 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there are different versions on vinyl for Louder then Bombs? I thought it was strictly a US release so the only ones available would be from US Sire/Rough Trade. If so which version is recommended?

23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I haven't looked at all of this thread so this might have been mentioned previously but are Wonderful Woman and Work Is A Four Letter Word available on CD?

24. Laservampire

Both of them are still in print actually, Wonderful Woman is on the This Charming Man Remixes Single and Work Is A Four Letter Word is on the Sweet & Tender Hooligan CD Single, along with 2 other rare tracks :righton:

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.