How Do I Identify A Fake Beatles Mono Box?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aaronfirebrand, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hence the reason anyone buying one of these fakes from any seller should be leaving negative feedback. The faster that word can get out there, the faster people will start to worry about buying these boxes--as they should.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The girl I bought the box from has already refunded my money, trusting me to send the item back, which I will. She will also send me further money once I get back to her about how much it cost me to mail it. She says she got the box out an outlet store in Florida. She's only sold 6 other items over the past 5 months, and none were Beatles related. Maybe it was a genuine mistake. I don't think I should leave negative feedback, but I will mention in my feedback that the box was a counterfeit and maybe that can help future peoples in some way. The seller's I.D. is:

theredcarpetmedia

Perhaps we could keep a running list of any sellers who are selling such items.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If it really were a case of innocence, she wouldn't refund your money first and then have you send it back. No one does that UNLESS they are trying to buy your silence. If I were selling counterfeit goods, I'd do anything and everything in my power to keep you happy and quiet if you figured it out.

But refund before return is not what someone does who is innocent.

I am not sure why you think you're doing anyone a favor in not leaving negative feedback. THIS is what negative feedback if for. If you say counterfeit but leave positive feedback, no one will notice it.

If you don't leave negative feedback, she'll have played you for a sucker twice: The first time, when she sold you the box, the second time when she convinced you "it was all a mistake..."

5. Daniel Plainview

Well, I had voinced my concerns that I'd be sending the item back and trusting her to refund me. She does, after all, only have a "7" feedback, whereas I have a 800+ feedback, both as seller and buyer, and have a proven positive reputation. She offered to pay me back first to put my mind as ease, which it has.

I see your point, though. Meditate on this, I will.

6. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member Thread Starter

As far as my seller is concerned, once other buyers of the mono box have left feedback, I'll be able to contact them and advise them to check their copies against the information from the youtube video. Stir up a little trouble for the seller, I'm betting.
    If you get a fake from a seller of multiple copies, do likewise.
    Caveats for the emptor.

:wave:

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Nope, you can't. Buyer identities are hidden from everyone except the seller in most cases. So you can't even do that. PLUS, that could be construed as against eBay rules and the seller could retaliate against you.

No, the best thing you can do is leave the negative feedback, note it was counterfeit, and be done with things...

8. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Bidders' names are hidden during the auction, but you can identify other buyers on the seller's feedback page once they've posted there, but when you go to that buyer's page and click on the "contact member" link, the form is unavailable--"invalid item". It's tied to that particular transaction.
    But I think there is a way to still contact that member, bypassing the transaction. If you search for the member from your ebay page, you should be able to contact him. There shouldn't be any restriction on contacting any member of ebay if you're a member.

It may be against the rules, though, to do what I suggested earlier: contacting a member with information detrimental to the seller, who's essentially protected by ebay to advance their profits.
    Still, just contacting a member (allowed) to share information, providing no negative comments are made about the seller, seems only fair. No need to state that the item is fake, just friendly advice to check out the video and make up their own minds.

It seems logical that this would work.

:wave:

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I still don't know why you'd want to waste all that time and effort to warn people after they've already been taken--at a point where they will have to hassle with the return--when you could prevent a lot of pain by just noting the problem in your feedback. If you want to do both, more power to you. But not leaving the negative feedback and then warning people after they buy it seems a bad idea all around.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

I dunno....this lady who sold me the bogus box has given me such a well detailed backstory explaining how she accidentally ended up selling it to me by mistake might be on the up and up. If not, then she deserves an Academy Award for bull****ting.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

How do you sell something "by mistake." Come on...I mean, you have to spend the time to create a listing, which is time consuming. You don't just push a button. Then you have to ship the item out. Kind of hard to do all that "by mistake".

12. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

By avoiding to leave negative feedbacks, you help them perpetuate the scheme. It's not enough that the seller refunds you. They must be denounced.

13. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

If you don't know you have fake merchandise, then it would be very easy to sell something fake by mistake, Jake.

14. Daniel Plainview

She said she bought it at an electronics outlet store in a Miami mall. She sounded sincere. At this point, she has nothing else to gain by telling tales, so I'm tempted to believe her.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

How, exactly, do you wind up with a sealed mono Beatles boxed set for a price so low you can sell it on eBay at $90 and make money?

There's no legitimate source for that boxed set at that price.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd ask her for the exact name and address of the store, and tell her you were going to pass it on to the authorities. See if she's still helpful.

17. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I don't think the mono box is as scarce as some people would like it to be. You can get it for just over $200 on Amazon right now. It would make sense to me for it to be selling for less on ebay.

18. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Not much less.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Without the counterfeits, it would be selling for around $130-160 in as-new condition on eBay right now. New copies would be selling for $170-180.

20. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

So I guess my box may be fake? I watched the you tube video on this thread of the guy pulling the discs out of transparent sleeves, and they have Capitol printed on the labels.
    Mine all say Parlophone and come in paper sleeves with a blurb about using EMITEX cleaning cloth to clean discs.
    I haven't yet found any spelling errors anywhere.

Chris

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

MMT is the only disc that should have a Capitol label, as it was only released on Capitol as a full album in the USA. Does your copy of MMT have a Capitol label?

Also, The Beatles should have the Apple label.

22. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Your correct. The MMT has a Capitol label, and The White Album both have Apple labels. So can I breathe easier lol?

Chris

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you paid < $150 for a new sealed one, assume yours is either fake or hot. Even if you paid more, it's probably counterfeit if it didn't come from a reliable source.

That's just the way it is. All the wishing won't change that...

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Any of the spelling errors and ink smell that others spoke of? How do the CDs sound?

25. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

No spelling errors, and can't smell very well. Will get my housemate to sniff them tonight.:winkgrin:
    I have played Revolver and Rubber Soul thus far, and they sound great.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.