How can we convince Audio Fidelity to press more than 5,000 copies of each title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Would it be compromising your principles to pay someone the cash and have them charge it for you?

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Did they really print 5,000 of each, or did they make a lot fewer and then go back and print more when those sold out?

They should print as many as people want to buy. Screw "collecting."

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

with the complaints, could some have been returned and had to be replaced, thus taking some of the 5000 out of circuation?

4. DustinTaj

DustinTaj Forum Resident

I haven't read the whole thread, but I think that most of these titles can still be found. I don't think they're all sold out yet.

Heartbeat City in stock at cdpacific:
    http://www.cdpacific.com/CDitem.asp?ID=1072057

The band in stock at J&R music world:
    http://www.jr.com/product/music/pm/_1054253/

Pet Sounds in stock at J&R music world:
    http://www.jr.com/product/music/pm/_1054263/

Alice Cooper is in stock about everywhere. You just gotta look around. I wouldn't panic, just keep checking for them. CDPacific seems good about shipping them as soon as they get more, and they've been getting a little more every week.

5. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

In my experience, part of the problem with bumps in demand/panic on AF gold discs is based on the fact that they don't always meet street date, and some online sellers automatically mark them as sold out/backordered when they haven't even hit stock yet.

I know the distributor I get them from NEVER has them on time...usually a couple weeks late they pop into my backorder as ready to go.

(same with MoFi titles, incidentally)

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It was fixed during the coffee break at work. :thumbsup:

7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Yes and they both went out of business, so perhaps that isn't a perfect model for a boutique type item.

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Hey!
    The idea of this thread is to encourage AF to press more discs not to go bickering on about condition on arrival or to shoot down those who for whatever reason did not subscribe.

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I discovered and purchased a copy of the AF edition of "Heartbeat City" by The Cars at the local Best Buy (Canada) store, last weekend.

10. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

When is "Morrison Hotel" due out? Amazon only has "The Soft Parade" available for pre-order.

I've had no problems getting any of my discs through amazon.

11. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Unless we know exactly what deal Marshall made with the record companies, this is all just speculation.

As far as I know, the first few AF titles (Doobies, etc) were time based - he could sell as many as he wanted over a set period of months.

If these new titles were licenced to be 5000 and/7500 copies (depending on title) then I would not expect that will be changed. He would have to go back to the record companies and renegotiate a new deal.

12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

AF Gold discs have a 3 year licence.... doesn't affect the quantity.

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Are you sure that is for the "new" numbered Gold CDs? I believe that the "old" AF unnumbered CDs had a "timed" license.

14. phish

phish Jack Your Body

would three years be a "time"?

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Heather at Audio Fidelity assured me that pre-orders for the Doors' Morrison Hotel are being accepted now. I've just faxed her my pre-order. The price is $24.99 and First Class shipping to the Netherlands is $8.65.

16. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Could you show me a where Audio Fidelity published that there will be no more than 5000 or 7500 CDs?

17. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

There's this:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=4348311&postcount=218

Here's the quote that I received via email, directly from Marshall:

Craig(VC).

P.S. - I think the "we have no plans to manufacture more" part of the above quote gives wiggle room, in my opinion, for Audio Fidelity to press more copies of the titles already announced, if they want to. However, if they do, I hope they take heed of feedback such as this thread, and make the re-pressed discs beyond the initial 5,000/7,500 runs "less special" somehow, whether that means not numbering them, or not including a slipcover at all, or making the discs silver/aluminum instead of gold, or whatever. I think some solution along those lines would be the fairest, but no solution will make everyone happy - any re-press will anger certain collectors who already got one of the first run and banked on strict scarcity, and not doing any re-presses will anger those who missed out on the first run entirely.

18. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member

What about the jazz titles?

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

"We feel it adds real value and collectability."

they are definitely NOT in it for the money then....... cool, yes. good business move, no.

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

If I remember correctly (and I hope I do; maybe someone else can dig up the exact quote?), the DCC gold jazz titles sold considerably less than the DCC gold pop titles. Basically to the point where some of the DCC gold jazz titles were released knowing that they would take a loss on them but would hope to recoup the loss, on balance, with the pop titles which sold more units. It's my understanding that they did this because Steve and Marshall loved the jazz music and wanted to get it out there for the smaller set of customers who would appreciate them, despite knowing that breaking even was unlikely.

Craig(VC).

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Whew! Found the quote. I always make myself nervous when I try to quote something, going from my memory (and more so each passing year ;) ).

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3501609&postcount=4

Craig(VC).

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

23. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I don't think such a thing exists.

Craig(VC).

24. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Ok, let's say they didn't highlight that in their marketing...they just highlighted they were numbered, and told people via email, and in my case, phone, that they were limited to 5000 or 7500.

Either way, they are still on record for the printing run, and they should stick to that.
    Yep, it's about the music...which is why no one should be complaining about the idea of re-releasing stuff on non-24k discs.

I'm all for uping the print runs for future releases....since we could be given notice of that, then it's perfectly ethical.

However, going back on defined terms, just to please a bunch of johnny come latelys, isn't really good business. No credit card, unable to afford tp buy them all....whatever the reason, and I'm sure there are many valid ones.... other people did sign up, so they deserve to have their demands met first. You don't screw with customers just so you can please potential customers...that's bad business.

True, they shouldn't have been limited in the first place...but they were. Going back on that decision for already released stuff isn't the answer...'cause two wrongs don't make a right, even though three lefts do.

However, to please the masses demanding re-releases, they could print more, using silver instead of gold. Will the quality be as high? Maybe not, but the music is still there, and it will still be amazing...ask anyone who has the DCC silvers.

So, to me, there's really no issue here, other than people trying to make a company go back on it's original contract, just to please non-subscribing customers.

To me this would be akin to an ebay seller not honouring a buy it now, because someone contacted him after it was sold and offered more money.

I'll wager that over half the people requesting AF re-release stuff missed out because they were bargain hunting....and, imo, AF shouldn't pander to their requests over the wishes of their subscribers.

Maybe all the gold and platinum subscribers should be able to vote on whether or not there should be re-releases...then AF would be able to gauge the reaction to this idea, and possibly it would enable them to confidently reprint more, knowing most subs won't care.

And if the subs do care, and show it in their vote, then AF will know that an honour the original agreement.

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If one thinks the somgs are crap I don't think it matters one iota how "good it sounds".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.