How can we convince Audio Fidelity to press more than 5,000 copies of each title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've only been trying to order these locally in Australia since January. Heck, my local store said "No problem" and then a week later said "No, we can't get those". Every other store I've tried I just get "blank stare" type replies because they don't know who Audio Fidelity is and I almost ordered the deluxe edition of "Pet Sounds" from EMI as a result of this.

Now they're selling out. Well, fine, we in Australia can go and *ahem* right? Well, I'm going to subscribe now. Whoever is distributing imported CD's in Australia can go and get *ahem* instead! If they can get Mobile Fidelity in stock, why not Audio Fidelity? Is that so hard? Apparently it is!

[/angry rant]

By the way, when I subscribe, I hope I will be able to get titles that have already been released from them in my subscription, but if not I'll be hitting up the WTB section before you know it!

2. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

5,000 copies of something like Pet Sounds is an outrageously low number. They need to switch to more sensible runs or else it will damage their reputation: customers who can't buy your goods inevitably become angry customers.

3. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

as I posted once if only 5000 or 7500 are going to be printed , there won't be enough for all of us, how many forum members are there? 16.000??? I bet at least 10.000 are interested in them for several reasons and some of them are buying several copies as an investment...........but I also think part of the success of AF is due to the fact that these pressings are really limited, does anyone remember how badly the first batch of AF 24 kt gold sold???....so I assume that if they are not limited in quantity but in time, AF will face the same problem again........

these are not the 90's and although gold disc are trendy again, I doubt you can sell 25.000 any more given the demise of cd and the economic recession...

so I think the best idea would be an increase in the numbered pressed given how large the demand is really for them but keep them as limited in quantities and don't repress them once they sell out

4. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

A good idea may to do a limited run of Gold CDs and then do the repressing runs on standard CDs to mop up the rest of the demand. The market they are selling to is unlikely to hang back on purchasing a SH-mastered Pet Sounds or whatever just because a few more copies would be in circulation.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have all the recent Audio Fidelity titles and am not a subscriber. Granted, it took some time to get them, but that was my fault. Back in January, I pre-ordered The Band, Heartbeat City, Pet Sounds, and School's Out from CD Pacific and asked them to ship them together. At the time, I did not know that availability would be an issue. In retrospect, it was foolish to request that they be shipped together. I kept waiting for the discs and eventually found three titles elsewhere and removed them from CD Pacific order. In the end, I only got School's Out from CD Pacific. It arrived yesterday. As it turns out, I got all four discs at a significant discount. I could care less about serial numbers or silly underwear.

6. KeithH

Are you going to copy that in an e-mail message? Steve has said that Marshall does not visit here.

7. KeithH

You don't hear anyone complaining about a lack of availability of recent MFSL gold discs.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Buy more.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Let's recap, ok?

AF announced these cds in advance and offered a subscription.

Some people didn't sign up, wanting to get a better price elsewhere.

Now some people want AF to print more, because they missed out. They want AF to break the original contract agreement with it's subscribers..the people who were willing to pay a little more....because they're hard to find.

I find that somewhat selfish.....if you wanted one, you could have subscribed. Making AF print more just screws up the people who subscribed to a limited edition, numbered cd out of 5000...7500 for the two Doors cds.

Pleasing the non-subscribers over the subscribers is bad business...very bad, actually.

Which is why I believe any reprints shouldn't be numbered, or pressed on 24k gold. That seems very reasonable, leaving the original pressings collectible and coveted, while spreading the music around. That pleases both sides.

Anything else will be choosing non-subscribers..generally, although some subs may want more pressings....over non-subscribers.

Really...if someone didn't get one, they only have themselves to blame.

Just my two cents...

10. Music Emporium

maybe they shouldn't press more of the titles already released but why not more for the upcoming ones??? their estimation of a batch of 5000-7500 has turned out to be clearly inadequate........

others could argue that the idea of collectivity and numbered editions per se is also selfish........... different opinions on different matters.....

AF should do what it's best for its business.........that's my view

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

No, bad business is not manufacturing more if it is possible and can be profitable.

We are getting into that limited edition concept and debate again. Trust me, Ive been on that side and been burned. So, I understand. But to deny people the ability to buy a cd just because " you had your chance" is BS. So, you dont want people to have the chance if possible to hear this great mastering just because it threatens the limit edition status? Is that what this has become about?

Many people may not have been able to afford a platinum subscription or want every unknown title that AF is doing yet would appreciate the abiltity to be able to have them available if possible. Just like the old arguement with the Fantasy 45's: "Why be selfish and deny people great sound an musc just because someone wants to collect?" Difference is, its early in the game now and could possibly be changed before people that are subscribers have several titles repressed and feel ripped off collectorwise.

If these are selling, they are selling, regardless if you are a Titanium member or not. Its not like the people who are subscribers are going to throw up their hands and say. BAH! they changed the rules! I will never buy another crappy sounding AF cd again!!

Its about the music and our hosts mastering... riiight?

And no, I am not one of the people who dont support AF. I could buy at 12.99 but chose to buy at a more dependable outlet. And I paid full price. So it isnt about that.

12. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

I guess my thought is what is it about about limited numbered editions don't we understand ? Exactly why I am paying a premium, and joined the club. I really cannot necessarily afford it either, but I made the decision to do join Platinum, and know I would pay more for a low number and and buy direct.

13. MusicalBeds, I am about to rant and practically shout at you. Please don't take it personally as I am in a grump today anyway for an unrelated reason.

The subscription was not available until AFTER "School's Out" and "Heartbeat City" were available

And some people didn't sign up because they wanted to support their local independent music shop. Some people also didn't sign up because they do not have a credit card. And some people didn't sign up because they had no idea what shipping to Australia would be like and never got a response when they eMailed Audio Fidelity and asked them.

Oh yes, I blame myself for the inadequate distribution for outside of the United States. And I blame myself for keeping myself out of debt by not having a credit card, in this day and age when you can't do jack **** without one. And I blame myself that my local music shop said they could get them in and then turned around a week later and said they couldn't. I'm such a fat, lazy arsed bugger that I didn't do everything within my power to ensure I was able to get one of these CD's that I have not been trying to get since January. I only have myself to blame for not conforming to the norm of the day and having a credit card and living in the United States and buying everything on line at the expense of the employment of a record store worker. My bad.

[/rant-and-a-half]

P.S. No, I still haven't managed to get any of them yet either. Also, I have re-emailed Audio Fidelity to ask about the rate of shipping to Australia. Hopefully they'll reply this time. The thing is, I still don't have, can't get and don't want a credit card.

14. Music Emporium

I understand your frustration...............

15. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

Mobile Fidelity has a local distributor, i.e. Rockian. Audio Fidelity doesn't.

I took the subsription after i learnt in another thread that AF were going to offer the cheapest postage rates possible. Which is true. I couldn't be happier with AF's service.

16. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

How can Audio Fidelity be doing a poor job? They offer direct sales for individual titles. They offer a subscription if you want a copy of every title.

Aren't you really complaining that you are having trouble finding the AF discs at a DISCOUNT price?

17. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Maybe I've misunderstood, but I took the gold and platinum clubs to mean getting every disc that AF released, and I can't afford that. The discs I want, though, I really really want. So far I've been lucky, but I'd hate to miss out.

18. Thanks! :righton: That's good to know! Now to get around the problem of my credit card (or lack thereof)

19. PMC7027

Candy,
    Steve has posted that Marshall does not read the Forum. Would you please cut and paste your post into the "Contact Us" form at the Audio Fidelity web site?

20. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I was going to sign up but..

When I asked if I had to buy every release, and the answer was yes, I decided I really could not afford it. Sure I would love to buy every AF release, but I just can not afford that these day's, and to top it off, not every title would be one I would really want. If I had disposable income (I now have 3 grandchildren to raise, so no I really do not have it like I used to), I am sure I would buy every release. For example, I really would never listen to AF release of the Doobie Bros Minute by Minute, just not my cup of tea. On the other hand, I wished I would have purchased the DCC Ringo (never even saw one any where for sale). This year in particular is going to be rough due to all the music choices, Many MFSL releases that I want, many AF, and the Beatles remasters, I can't buy every thing I want. I would be content if they also released a non limited version on a silver cd, to me it is more the music than the rarity.

21. PMC7027

The subscription WAS available before School's Out and Heartbeat City. Subscribers have the same number for those discs as Pet Sounds and The Band.

Audio Fidelity can't be "blamed" for your economic decision about not having a credit card. You have every right, and may be wise, for not having a credit card. But not having a credit card may cause you some purchasing "hardship." That is your choice. Just as some Ebay sellers only take PayPal. If a person chooses not to have a PayPal account they cannot bid or purchase.

Remember, AF has to spend quite a bit of money to get the license and for manufacturing. It is possible that the number 5000 is based on the up front costs.

22. PMC7027

Remember, one of the reasons that AF can even get a license is that their releases don't compete with the record label's standard issue. AF's releases don't compete because they are Gold and cost MUCH MORE than the standard issue.

If AF wanted to issue an unlimited "silver" edition they would probably be forced, as part of the license, to price it similarly to the Gold edition. Then people would complain that the silver discs cost the same as the Gold.

23. It's not the worst sounding, however.
    The production & recording is in fact pretty impressive.

- Thom

24. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I don't think AF actually promised a print run of only 5000. What they promised was limited numbered editions. That could mean any number. I'd like to see these available as long as they sell well. Even if 20,000 are unltimately sold, they will still be valuable in a few years given the price of some popular OOP DCC and MoFi titles today.

25. PMC7027

Marshall Blonstein has been quoted here numerous times saying that the Gold CDs would be 5000 except 7500 for The Doors' titles.

That doesn't mean that future, yet to be announced titles couldn't be more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.