How can we convince Audio Fidelity to press more than 5,000 copies of each title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I still think that would be cheesy... a blatant attempt to get around the original marketing. Tom's idea with the silver discs is decent, leaving the original concept intact while spreading the music.

2. phish

phish Jack Your Body

it just looks real inviting when you can buy them from a bigger retailer for nearly half or less than half the cost.

i'll be honest..... the forum as a whole praises the "pet sounds" album and when tower had it for $12.99 with free shipping, i jumped on it. got the cd, but haven't gotten "it" yet, but i plan on ripping it to my pc and throwing it on my iphone and listening to it through some decent cans whilst on vacation in sandestin, fl. and if i don't get "it" there, i'll probably sell it on here for what i paid for it.

3. musicalbeds

I don't believe anyone who really wants one will be left out, but their patience might be tested and they could even end up paying a couple of bucks premium soon.
    But as Levi said, the AF site can probably get ya one.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

I'm OK with cheesy. :D

5. musicalbeds

I can understand both sides of the issue, but as I said, I don't have a dog in this race, I'm strickly debating..hopefully you get which ever releases you desire.

6. I'm a Platinum subscriber, but to be honest, I'd really like to see AF get rid of the numbering entirely. As for meeting the demand, maybe if they pressed 10,000 copies for a first run, and then a second run, and maybe a third.

7. This thread is making me nostalgic for the days when I could walk into my local Costco and buy Mobile Fidelity Ultradiscs and DCC Gold Edition CDs for only $20 a pop! Those were the days...:love::wave:

8. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

If the discs are sold out everywhere (including the AF site), then I can understand the demand for an additional run from folks who haven't been able to find one. But if they're not sold out, why ask for a repressing? Especially since the ones we've bought are likely to be more valuable if the run stays limited to 5,000?

Jeff

9. I would agree with that.

10. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

The end result of pressing more is AF making more money and releasing more titles.

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I have not had any trouble getting the cds that I wanted. I don't belong to any club??

Amazon, Cd universe, Buy.com, Tower, and Virgin. Usually one of these web sites have what I want. Me thinks you are getting excited over nothing. Just buy them when they are released.

12. crossed.out

crossed.out Forum Resident

I managed to get the Pet Sounds and Band discs (albeit, my Pet Sound's jewel case cover was cracked, but a simple replacement fixed that..) I just placed an order at CD Universe for The Soft Parade, and am hoping I'll get one from them since I had such good luck with the two previous AF Gold Discs. I didn't see Morrison Hotel listed though, but I'll have to jump on it if it ever does show up there.

13. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

My local store owner said he ordered 60 copies of Pet Sounds and received 2. Needless to say, I wasn't able to get one.

14. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Did Audio Fidelity really use the 5000 limitation for the marketing of the CDs? Do you have a link for that?

All I could find was that the CDs will be numbered, and that would not exclude repressings (with higher numberings of course).
    http://www.audiofidelity.net/pc-24k.html

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It could be like Criterion, who was so successful some studio/companies ceased leasing titles and did special releases themselves.

Off topic a bit, maybe SH can get a stack of unused AF cd cases and sell them for $10 next forum pledge drive.

16. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I am not saying this in a mean way but to me Audio Fidelity is doing a poor job. I am very frustrated because it is a real pain to find these discs. It was bad enough trying to hunt down out of print CDs and now I have to hunt down CDs that just were released. :shake:

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I think the main problem with many of us, myself included, is trying to find the el cheapo deals, as in under $20 including shipping.
    Yep, we should go ahead and pony up for the full list price, then we're set.

That Tower Records deal some of us got may have spoiled us!

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Where are u looking?

19. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Tonight I looked on Buy.com, Amazon.com and Deep Discount for "The Band", do you have a link where it is in stock?

20. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

That is another sad thing. People are paying up over retail on Ebay for these.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

As Gladys Night once said (in some song I can't remember) . . . someday THESE will be the good old days.

Enjoy the ability to purchase new Steve Hoffman mastered gold discs while you can.

22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm talking about paying list price - heaven forbid!

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Hey! How about initial certificates for the subscribers as a thank you for stumping up instead? Genuine collectible, eh?

24. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

sorry what I meant was over list when I said over retail.

25. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Dear Marshall,

Many of us are really pleased this current batch of AF releases are really taking off with a good choice of titles and Steve's stellar approach to mastering.
    Fancy selling out on The Cars, eh? Not bad.
    It is difficult particularly for people outside of the United States to find them because of the current limited production - you can't find them in the big music stores in England - and I'm sure you could sell more copies which apart from making you some more money plus pleasing us fans it would also help establish AF as THE brand for quality cd re-issues.
    May I ask you to give consideration to this idea.

Respectfully yours,

Candy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.