How can we convince Audio Fidelity to press more than 5,000 copies of each title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

But you didn't get the panties! :laugh:

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

And why so many people who really want one to (gasp!) listen to and enjoy the music are unfortunately missing out...

3. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

:realmad:

DAMMIT!!! Now I'm just gonna sell it for like $25 in the classifieds.

4. Some folks might think differently about the subscription now. I still remember the lengthy discussions.

5. Mine are still mint, would only bit on them in Mint or Exc+ condition. :D

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I don't remember seeing either subscription being filled and closed, so how is it that people "CAN'T" get these discs?

So, the disc you want is sold out. What did you learn........?

If you believe every little distributor that promises them for $10 is going to fill your order every time, well, welcome to the real world. Sure, we would all like to save money, but you want AF to up their outlay for thousands of disc so you don't have to pay what they want to sell them for. The OP asked how to convince AF to print more, when the forum members haven't even gobbled up the subscriptions and they offer a 15% discount for maybe two disc a month. Personally, I'd like to see AF sell 100,000 per disc because that would mean better sound was making a comeback and it might spread to other companies and you wouldn't have to be in a self imposed lotto system to get what you wanted.

Sign up, have informed friends that want the discs, create a groundswell of a demand. We want great sound to succeed for all of us. :cheers:

End of my rant and back to the regular program of Blame The Other Guy!

7. Though it may be difficult for some to find the already OOP titles at a decent price, it is a good sign for AF and music lovers all around that the voracity and sheer numbers of those wanting to have the discs seems to have well exceeded the initial expectations.

Just guessing but AF probably only initially licensed the contracts for the original amounts pressed and sold.

If that is the case, any re-engagement process could be possible, if so desired, but would involve steps not as quick, easy or cost effective as just running off another 5,000 of each.

8. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

It certainly was for me.

9. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Amen. You can buy empty replacement cases. I don't get worked up over cracked cases. I just find s crap cd that I will never play and Frankenstein the parts or just buy some empty cases from Staples or Bags Unlimited. Problem solved.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

You'd think that selling 5000 copies in a month would be enough to accomplish the OP objective. :shrug:

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I think that these should be repressed over and over as long as they are selling well. Can't but benefit all involved. I guess those wHo have low numberss might feel it lessons value but #1 will still be # 1 regardless. So repress em! However, spoken for doesnt mean sold out. It means distributers orders have been filled and AF have no more to distribute.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Exactly.

13. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I don't think they should reprint any of the ones released already, but they should increase the number of copies for upcoming releases. Unfortunately some people might miss out, but then, that's part of the hobby of chasing rare cds.

While people may complain that "it's all about the music", part of the actual marketing of the cd is; it's a numbered edition.

Numbering them promotes the collectible aspect of them...so hoarding and reselling for a profit is inherent to their existence, at least, in a marketing sense.

Since it was originally limited to 5000 and sold like that...a numbered collectible with a finite released amount...imo, it's not right to re-release more.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

I shudder to think that members of this forum might miss out on one or more of these AF titles because a large number of "entrepreneurs" decided to buy a case of each AF title to resell later on ebay. :shake:

15. musicalbeds

I don't believe the cases are exactly like the generic cases regular cds come in...I'll have to check.

16. musicalbeds

I agree, however it's wrong to advertise it as one thing, and then change it. While it might benefit the greater good, it's also a lesson to those who missed out that they could have had a subscription, had they wanted.

It would be nice if everyone who wanted one could have one, but we don't live in that kind of world, and expecting AF to do an about face because some people missed the boat, when the world is as it is..well, that seems outrageous, imo.

Btw, I'm not typing this with clenched teeth or anything..they can release more and I really don't care.

BUT, as a former sports card collector AND comic book collector..one who read his purchases btw...I think it's a slap in the face to buyers to suddenly take a limited item, that is marketed that way, and turn it into an unlimited run.

17. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So "Soft Parade" IS still on track for release, Steve?

18. phish

phish Jack Your Body

how many copies of "school's out" have been sold in the last ten years?

19. musicalbeds

24,842, but I could be making that up....:angel:

20. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

How about 5000 numbered on gold, then whatever the market demands in represses with no numbers and on aluminum discs, so those who've hoarded the gold can maintain that little tingle of assured investment advantage?

I didn't know it was to be strictly limited. Otherwise I wouldn't have purchased the one title I own and enjoy. Hoarders are a pox on our hobby.

If the hoarders can capture the market (as in - sold out before release day), they should be prosecuted like the Hunt brothers were when they cornered the silver market in the early '80s. Sorry gentlemen, not allowed, bad faith and all that.

Beware of the Leprechaun and the children of the revolution. Boo!

21. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

The Audio Fidelity web site shows Alice, the Cars, the Band and the Beach Boys are all still available. Has anyone here been unable to find what they're looking for?

Jeff

22. musicalbeds

Sounds like a reasonable idea...:thumbsup:

I don't like hoarding either...concert scalpers fall into the same category, imo. And it does ruin hobbies when they only appeal to the collector value...but unfortunately it's inherent to collecting many things these days.

The sports card market was killed, imo, when they released too many limited numbered items..they flooded the market with them, making them eventually worthless because of the excess, and killing their novelty.

I'd like to see future releases numbered at least seventy five hundred, with the Doors at 10, 000. I think asking for more than that could flood the market, hurting AF, which would be a tragedy.

I can hardly believe how lucky we are to have these being released right now....Id hate to see something ruin our good thing, and demanding they print more without subscribing could do that, imo.

So if you are demanding they increase their production number folks... please put your money where your mouth is and subscribe.

Because sellouts are good for production company, but not so much for fans ...yet empty-handed listeners can influence AF by digging into their pockets, and giving them concrete evidence of your interest.

23. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Looks like a bunch of us are left out in the cold.

Like anything else you should be able to walk into Best Buy, Borders, Barnes & Noble etc. any buy one right off the shelf if you so desire as long as it in print. Or should I say in print for longer than 2 weeks.

This is getting real stupid.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

I guess they could print another 5000 but without numbering the copies. That way the first 5000 could still be the "limited edition numbered" copies.

25. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Are you sure the new titles are sold out on the AF web site? They still show the most recent ones (Cars, Cooper, Band, Beach Boys) as still available.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.