How can we convince Audio Fidelity to press more than 5,000 copies of each title?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Nope. There's a Hong Kong weekly audio/video magazine that has been giving rave reviews to the AF releases. The reviewer is a subscriber to the AF Clubs -- I believe he even mentioned his subscription member number in one of his reviews. I should scan the pages for you guys (I get the magazine here in the Bay Area about 5 days after being published).

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I just checked and Amazon.com says "in stock" for Alice Cooper, so I guess we're wringing our hands and heads over whether AF has these in stock or they're all out at the distributors/websites for sale.

I'm glad AF is moving these puppies out the door, as long as nobody out there is "hoarding" them, like one buyer snapping up half the print run or whatever....

Anyway, my heart-rate has returned somewhat to normal now.....

I've picked up 2 so far, the Pet Sounds and School's Out <sweet job, Steve!>,
    but I really want those 2 Doors titles! That will complete the SH mastered Doors studio album catalogue, as I have the DCC cds of the rest, and they're the best out there on cd.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

School's Out is still available from internet stores. I even saw one, brand new, for only $17.38.

4. jsayers

Better grab it! ;)

5. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard New Member

Looks like we'll have to act fast if we want to get our hands on the new AF gold discs. Waiting is a luxury that none of us can afford.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I won't, not my cup of tea.

7. evad

evad Well-Known Member

I guess getting the Platinum subscription was a good idea.

8. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Okay so if I havent bought the new Band title I should jump on it? Is that one already completely sold out?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Doubt it. Don't stress. Eventually it will be though, In other words (unless AF is convinced otherwise) the distributor will run out of product to sell if the demand remains constant as with the earlier titles.. 5,000 pieces ain't much for a pop title. In the jazz world it's a hit..

10. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Alright. Well I just started a new job so when I get my paycheck I'll order The Band. Thanks Steve!

11. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I think if you search hard enough you will always be able to pick up almost any title.
    So we all shouldn't sweat it.

Barnes and Noble seems to usual pull through for me. I think it's because people don't alway buy CD's from them on line.

12. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I have only bought one AF disc and I got it through Best Buy. Easiest way for me to get stuff in my situation.

13. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Yep, I've been thinking the same things while reading this thread...it's a lot less headache than buying them individually, even if you end up with stuff you don't want much.

Heck, with them being so coveted, the stuff you don't want,...such as the copy of Heatbeat City I have... won't be hard to sell, and there's a chance you might even earn something on it if you wait a while.

I remember some of the negativity surrounding subscriptions and how you could find the releases cheaper elsewhere.....and I feel somewhat vindicated already in choosing to get one, because the peace of mind I get is worth it when I read threads like this, despite the tough economic times and possibly getting titles I don't desire.

14. Wergeland

Wergeland Formerly spanishjohnny

Many, many going back? Calling a cracked case defective is ridiculous. If the disc is damaged, sure you should return it. But I doubt AF are getting that many in return. A few smashed hubs does not equal many damaged discs.

The hub on my The Band was smashed, but luckily the cd was fine.

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

My jewel case on my "Pet Sounds" was smashed on one corner-didn't damage the disc or the j-card--do people really send these back when they show up like this? I'm gonna listen to it, not put it in a time capsule...:confused:

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I certainly wouldn't! Especially since you can't exactly find these in your local mall or somewhere like that....

Heck, this stuff should replace the regular mastering but that's just me.... I guess I can get a little fanatical about that! :laugh:

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I assume that the purpose of this thread was to stress this to those of us who purchase elsewhere.

18. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I was one who thought the subscriptions were a bit too expensive compared to simply placing pre-orders with Amazon etc. but I have recently decided to subscribe when my Band/Pet Sounds pre-order was cancelled because the retailer couldn't get their stock from distribution.

I decided it was too much of a hassle to monitor future releases, pre-orders and didn't want to stress when reading threads like these. The customer service at AF was also much better.

I have pretty broad tastes so wether it's Alice, Doors, Linda, Cars or Monk I'm pretty interested....

"299, licensed to listen"

19. evad

evad Well-Known Member

What j-card came with Pet Sounds?

20. jsayers

Hey, my copy has a slight defect on the upper left corner of the rear artwork, what the heck!.....just kidding. Too many folks buy these for resale value. That's probably one of the biggest reasons so many folks get up in arms over minor dings and dents. Jeez.....

21. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I mean the back/spine insert card...I don't have a "collector's item"!

22. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I gave the Cars disc a spin...it sounds great but I really don't think I'll play it again...it's not really my thing. That said, everything else is interesting to me, although I sold the Pet Sounds disc at cost to another forum member because I know he loves the Beach Boys, and I'm not a big enough fan to desire a copy for myself. Because I can barely afford to purchase all the titles I do desire...I sell the stuff I don't want.

But the "hassle" of selling it is still better than not subscribing, and having to monitor and chase all the new releases, imo.

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Your imagination runneth wild, my friend! :D

This thread is a simple try at getting AF to press enough for everybody who wants one. For today and in the (near) future...

Example: One of the reasons why they redid Pet Sounds was to kill the incredible high prices on the resale market and ensure that everyone who lusted after this amazing disc had an opportunity to buy one!

What could be better than that?

There ya go. Nothing to do with "buying direct" at all. Everything to do with the availability of the product. :)

24. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Thanks....I thought I was missing something in my copy.

25. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

This thread inspired me to get School's Out. $22.56 shipped was a little more than I wanted to pay, but whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.