Hmmm...Did Abkco REALLY lower the list price of the Phil Spector 4CD box to $20?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I bought mine when it first came out 15 years ago :)yikes: where did the time go?!?!?) and the jewel cases were practically impossible to remove back then too :agree:

2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Collector's Choice has it for 19.99,so with free freight and a few Christmas presents,mine came today. And I thought maybe the difficulty in getting those jewel boxes out was because these sets had possibly been sitting around in a dusty,overheated warehouse(and as someone who works in a warehouse,I can confirm of the dust and the heat)and the plastic may have melted to the jewel case. It was fine.
    The price increase at Amazon is indeed interesting. Local Borders stores have it at 29.99-I suspect their buyers looked at the box,compared to the original list and decided thirty bucks still looks pretty good if you are in the store and didn't comparison shop. Personally,I was hoping the Christmas CD(which I already own) in the box would have been a sealed stock copy(it isn't-it's numbered for the box set as "CD 4") becasue I was going to go to Borders for store credit-I think the Christmas album is 18.99 in the stores.
    One theory about the price drop I thought about-is it possible that Spector negotiated a deal with Universal to generate some dollars for his legal woes?
    Oh,yeah-the music. Glorious mono,which I can see why some here have difficulty with all of that kitchen sink sound coming out of one place. But lots of fun.

3. I don't think Mr. Spector renogiated a new deal resulting in the blowout price on this set. It is most likely the original deal that provides the motivation for Abkco to unload the remaining quantity. I ordered this from Buy.com with the Google $10 off a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been home yet to pick it up but can't wait. These songs are the ultimate nostalgia trip for my age group. Great songwriters, great production for the time, and some great singers and some not so great singers make this thing a treat. I loved this music in the early 60's then forgot it when The Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan.

Chris

4. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

...and it's still $14.77 at DDCD. I ordered mine today. Thanks for the tip! Hard to go wrong at that price.

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

CDUniverse still has copies under $17 and also accepts Paypal. These things are still lurking around...

6. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I never read this thread and came across one at Best Buy today for 19.99. I thought they had mismarked it and there was only one there so I bought it. Even though I see they have gone for as low as 13.99, I'm happy with what I got.

7. I love this set and can't understand the complaints about audio quality. I lift the plastic liner up and push lightly from the bottom to remove the CD's. Not sure that method would work for everyone since you need to be careful but it works great and quickly for me but the case design is not good.

Chris

8. Barabajagal

Barabajagal Member

I ordered mine Thursday, November 16th from DeepDiscountCD for $14.77 with free shipping.

It came this morning.

How's that for fast? :D

9. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

It sold out at the Huntsville Alabama Costco months ago. I picked up my copy then.

I think it is a great set for $4-5 per CD, the sound is OK but not great, and I'd probably be pissed if I picked it up for $50-60 because the quality is not that good.

10. Charlie990

Charlie990 Senior Member

I ran across this on Amazon recently. If this a true and a legit release due out Dec 5 in Europe perhaps this is the reason for the ABKCO price blow out.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000K2Q8DQ/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/002-0066575-1060866

Here is the track listing from another site called 101CD.com but the release date here says April 2006.

http://www.101cd.com/detail.aspx?productid=1650949&dept=music&category=classical

Disc 1 - Phil Spector Wall Of Sound Retrospective Phillies Sound 1961-1966:

1. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
    2. Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals
    3. He's Sure The Boy I Love - The Crystals
    4. (Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry - Darlene Love
    5. Uptown - The Crystals
    6. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah - Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans
    7. There's No Other Like My Baby - The Crystals
    8. A Fine, Fine Boy - Darlene Love
    9. He's A Rebel - The Crystals
    10. Why Do Lovers Break Each Other's Hearts? - Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans
    11. (The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up - The Ronettes
    12. Not Too Young To Get Married - Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans
    13. Wait Till My Bobby Gets Home - Darlene Love
    14. Baby, I Love You - The Ronettes
    15. Then He Kissed Me - The Crystals
    16. Do I Love You? - The Ronettes
    17. Walking In The Rain - The Ronettes
    18. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling - The Righteous Brothers
    19. Born To Be Together - The Ronettes
    20. Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers
    21. River Deep, Mountain High - Ike & Tina Turner
    22. Spanish Harlem - Phil Spector

Disc 2 - A Christmas Gift For You:

1. White Christmas - Darlene Love
    2. Frosty The Snowman - The Ronettes
    3. The Bells Of St. Mary - Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans
    4. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - The Crystals
    5. Sleigh Ride - The Ronettes
    6. Marshmallow World - Darlene Love
    7. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - The Ronettes
    8. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - The Crystals
    9. Winter Wonderland - Darlene Love
    10. Parade Of The Wooden Soldiers - The Crystals
    11. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love
    12. Here Comes Santa Claus - Bob B. Soxx And The Blue Jeans
    13. Silent Night - Phil Spector And Artists

Notes and Reviews

Our Review

Available for the first time on CD, a comprehensive best of Phil Spector package featuring his acclaimed, classic A Christmas GIft For You album (hailed by many as the definitive Christmas pop album) and the Wall of Sound Retrospective album featuring many of the greatest songs written and produced by Phil Spector.
    The album will be marketed to both the credible music audience for whom Phil Spector is a recognised and respected name, and the mass-market nostaligia audience on the strength of these very famous and often heard songs.

The album includes a never before released track: Phil Spector's own version of Spanish Harlem.

Additional Synopsis

Available for the first time on CD, a comprehensive 'best of' collection of Phil Spector's work, featuring his acclaimed classic "A Christmas Gift For You" and the "Wall Of Sound Retrospective" album.

Customer Reviews

This title has not been reviewed. If you would like to review this title click the add review link below

Add a review for this title

Click here to review this title

11. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I remember that as well. there was an article in "CD Review" mag about 1987-88. where the Rhino people were talking about putting the set together. Next thing you know, it was cancelled

12. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I picked it up at Virgin in NYC for $15 or $16, a couple days ago.

13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Amazon.com now has this priced at $12.99 as a Thanksgiving week-only special. I couldn't pass this up, it's cheaper than buying the Christmas album separately!

14. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

It was at the Virgin Records Store on Michigan Ave in Chicago IL for $15.99 last week. It was also placed near the checkout counter.

15. If you are thinking about buying this for Christmas gifts, you can get 3 of them delivered to you for $31 from Buy.com by using Google Checkout until they sell out. It looks like something that should cost a whole lot more than $10.33. I am waiting to play the Christmas album, but the 3 main discs are better than I had hoped.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.