Hmmm...Did Abkco REALLY lower the list price of the Phil Spector 4CD box to $20?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macready

macready New Member

Yes :agree:

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

And now Time Life's 10 CD "Malt Shop Memories" includes a 14-track Cameo Parkway disc.
    Things are changing at ABKCO.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm guessing that this was a warehouse blowout. Amazon is now showing delivery time as 4-6 WEEKS. That often means "we aren't gonna deliver".

Kwad

4. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

The Costco in my neck of the woods, L.A., CA still has copies, lots of them. That's where I bought mine after your original post a couple of months ago. :righton:

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I happened to get the last copy of the box that AEC One Stop had in stock from my local Book World store yesterday.

6. BradOlson

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Actually it's 15 tracks, but who's counting? :)

I was going to start a separate thread on this. I was watching the infomercial for this box set this weekend (I hadn't seen it before) and couldn't help but notice the inclusion of Cameo-Parkway tracks for the first time on another company's CD... at least since the prehistoric days of the format anyway.

Who knows; perhaps the soundtrack from the movie More American Graffiti, which in its vinyl version included "96 Tears," can finally be issued on CD?

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

While they're at it, HAIRSPRAY :)

9. factor

factor Active Member

You saved 3.4 hundredths of a cent per hour.

Probably more than some sweat shop workers make.

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

:biglaugh:

I can't believe you took the time to calculate that out! (Yes, probably a lot less time than the 11 years I deprived myself of this box set. :p )

Craig(VC).

11. BradOlson

12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

$14.99 at DDCD? This has to be the best CD bargain ever...absolutely incredible! I got mine long ago at the high price...sometimes it does pay to wait! As in the Hercules and Zena DVD box sets...the complete series 6 DVD boxes of Hercules was available for less than $60.00...as a matter of fact this deal ends tonight! The 6 Boxes of Xena goes for under $90.00! AMAZING savings there!!!

14. vesikirppu

vesikirppu Forum Resident

The price is still getting lower - not bad for me :)

--------------------------------------------

"Back to Mono (1958-1969)"
    Phil Spector; Audio CD; $13.49

Sold by: caiman_com
    Shipping estimate for these items: October 23, 2006

15. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Heh, I remember seeing loads of these sets not too long ago at Costco for $14.69. So yes, I think they really did lower the list price, especially considering how more retailers are following suit.

In any case, having heard the set, it doesn't sound like NR was applied to most tracks, but there's definitely some wonky EQ. As far as I'm concerned, this is one set that could USE a little more top-end. That and some better transfers. The set that's out now just sounds really lifeless and dull, and yet I don't hear any tell-tale signs of NR. Just bad transfering/mastering, plain and simple.

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

All done according to the exacting specifications of Mr. Spector, unfortunately.:(
    If I recall correctly, Rhino had originally started working on this set before they reached an impasse with Phil. Wonder if they got as far as mastering the music. Would love to hear what they did (or would have done) with the sound.

17. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I finally took the plunge for $14.77 at DDCD.com.

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

At $14.99 on Amazon, the "Back To Mono" Box, priced at $14.99 is Ranked 363 in sales, while the poor "Cameo Parkway" Box, at $59.99 is Ranked...64,673 in sales. Seems that price elasticity of demand really works. And the difference in packaging of the two is remarkable - one lavishly packaged, the other, well, the other...somewhat more modest.

But, I wouldn't wait to buy "Back To Mono", because this price will only last as long as the supply does.

19. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

I bought one from Amazon last month, with no problems(total about £12). Shipping to the UK was estimated at 3 weeks IIRC, but it came in about 1.
    Worth it just for the 'Back to Mono' badge. The CDs are sure jammed tight into the plastic tray though!

20. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Amazon now shows it at around $20 + $50 sourcing fee, for a new one. :confused:

21. EditDave

EditDave New Member

Amazon's price is now over $60! What gives?

22. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

:eek: I'm glad I didn't hold off on that.....I got it from Amazon just two weeks ago for their $14.99 price. Wow.

And Tetrack, I had a hell of a time popping those jewel cases out too.

23. thecamyth

thecamyth Forum Resident

it's still $14.77 at deepdiscountcd.

thecamyth

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I also am glad I got it for $15. I'm no Spector fan, but this is too valuable a resource to skip for that price.

And I third the problems removing the jewel cases from the package! :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.