Hip-Oselect Rare Earth 3cd collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mesfen, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

So were are these versions of "Hey Big Brother" on CD?
    pool of tears has the scoop I'm guessing....nice job by him listing the variations!!!!!!!
    I'd also like to hear more feedback on the box set.....sound wise that is!!!!!!!

JF

2. eriejwg

eriejwg Active Member

There's a couple 45/promo versions of "Born To Wander" on the Motown 1970 singles collection. The track listing I've seen for Vol. 11A doesn't feature "Hey Big Brother", so it could show up on 11B or even 12.

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Okie dokie :)

The 45 version (an edited from the longer studio take andconvereted to mono, yet with different intro) has not been made available on cd.

The longer studio take can be found on the old Greatest Hist And Rare Classics cd, as well as the 2 cd 1995 Anthology set.

The live version is on the 1971 live album "In Concert", as well as the deleted Earth Tones cd.

There's also the live version from the unreleased "Live In Chicago" album.

4. pool_of_tears

The 45 version of Born To Wander is a different mix from the LP version on Ecology...more bass, especially in the intro and the harmonies are more upfront...and slightly shorter too.

5. badfingerjoe

Thanks pool of tears.....I have those 2 CD's....Earthtones and Greatest Hits and Rae Classics.....now I can check out those versions....
    I've been on a Rare Earth kick for about a week now....
    I'm still tossing around picking up the box just to fill in all the missing tracks.

Thanks again.

JF

6. badfingerjoe

The 45 version of "Born To Wander" is on The Very Best Of Rare Earth & Anthology. The longer version is on the Millenium Collection and Greatest Hits and Rare Tracks.
    So what we need is the 45 version of "Hey Big Brother" on CD!!!!!
    Since the intro is different on the 45 I'm guessing just editing the long version won't give us the 45 version???

JF

7. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Last year I purchased the Live In Concert CD in a mini LP format made in Russia. The cover was identical to the LP cover with the top of the back pack flipping up. The CD was remastered and sounds awesome. The Russians did a great job re doing this release. and it was pretty cheap around $10.00

There's one listed on ebay today , pretty cool collectable!

8. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

bump

9. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

bump, again

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I want to raise this bump.

Anyone who has this new box set please give us a review of the sound quality.

11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I'll see your bump and raise it twice...
    :)

12. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Well, I hate to say it but I agree that they do get some of the mastering jobs sounding pretty nicely. But there are more that sound horrible than there are great ones for sure.
    I wonder myself sometimes about that Doors Other Voices/Full Circle Two Fer Russian release. I have almost bought it a few times but didn't. Since it never did get an official CD release it is tempting to me still.

13. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

Hi everyone. Not wanting to sound like a broken record here :)D), but I was curious if anyone else had something to share regarding this box set.

I'm really on the fence about whether I should spring for this as my next purchase after the Rare Earth 1995 Anthology. Thanks!

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Someone here has got to have this set.
    A review of the sonics please.

THANKS

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Over 16-hundred lookie-looks at this thread. I think, if we're gonna get some response to this question...SOMEbody's gonna have to fork out some dollars and BUY the damn thing...

16. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Umm, only the single-edit of "Get Ready"?

Weak.

17. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

that's the problem. I'm still waiting for the price to get nice.

18. pool_of_tears

I'm pretty sure it has both.

I'd like ot buy it but:

1. I have Get Ready, Ecology and MA on cd already...those discs sound just fine.
    2. I also have needledrops of everything Rare Earth from 1968-78 and a "tapedrop" of the 1982 RCA album "Tight & Hot", plus all b-sides.

If the sound is good, I may get it. I'd like ot see it sell well enough so there might be a follow-up set with live material.

19. pool_of_tears

I hear ya!

I'm worried about the mastering. Anyone get this yet? I normally would've been all over this like "white on rice" but I've been burned by the mastering on a few Motown related cd's lately, enough to know a particular engineer's work to avoid.

20. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Anyone?

21. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

He also mastered the two-fer of Get Ready/Ecology. The only difference is that they had to use the single edit of "(I Know) I'm Losing You," otherwise both albums wouldn't have fit on one CD.

22. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Oh, I will have to get that set.

23. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

These are starting to get more affordable. Anyone got one yet and have a audio review?

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

25. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I have this set and it sounds pretty good to me. Is it perfect or an audiophiles dream? Hell no. YMMV. I have enjoyed it and glad I got it, I do think it is overpriced though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.