Hi, Y'all, can you do us a favor when quoting someone here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sociopaths are often mentally ill people.

2. Grant

There are those who do not intend to respect Steve's wishes and will continue to do what they please.

3. Parvati

Parvati I'm neither male, nor can I sing

So when somebody does it, call them out and correct them. The rest of us aren't morons. We see that stuff when it happens.

4. Only problem is, members won't be aware of the new rule unless they read this thread.

Hopefully the Forum Rules themsleves will be updated because otherwise a lot of people here won't be aware.

5. Grant

The problem with this forum is that no one reports anything unless it's to retaliate against someone else. In other words, they use the gorts to force their will.

6. wavelength

wavelength Forum Resident

Okay, you were referring to sociopaths. Thanks for clearing that up.

7. Grant

Like people read the rules...

Most other forums make the rules a sticky thread.

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I responded back and pointed them to this thread, if they choose to read it.

I just find this particular thread of Steven's to be on interest, given its appropriate timing in my case. And I haven't gone to a Gort - it's not like this is an earth-shattering problem. But it can leave a bit of a sour taste in one's mouth.

9. Parvati

Parvati I'm neither male, nor can I sing

I can honestly say I've never reported a single post to "retaliate" against anybody to "enforce my will" except as it's been relative to one specific issue. But that issue is totally unrelated to this discussion.

Nobody here ever makes me angry or wounds me enough to cause me to want to "retaliate" against them. But maybe it's because I don't take stuff said here that personally, or seriously?

It's an Internet forum. It's not the end of the world if somebody doesn't agree with you, or doesn't like you. It happens. It's kind of the point of forums to begin with - if we all agreed with each other, there'd be nothing to talk about. Just... Move on.

10. Thurenity

The disagreements are one of the things that makes the site interesting, I agree. That and the different exposure to music - that's keeps me reading as I learn about artists I wouldn't have previously been exposed to.

But, like any other forum, sometimes people take posts personally and find the need to make a point, or possibly to retaliate or "get even". I wish I could say that it's never happened to me, but I have been known to lose it on occasion, I admit (and I don't mean this forum, in particular). So it's something I usually try to make a point to recognize, if possible.

11. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:agree: You can't have a zillion rules about every just cos someone acts like a jerk once in a blue moon. Why not just say be civil to each other and make it clear what happens if ya not?

12. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

:laugh:

13. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

New strategy for winning flame wars: surround a 2-sentence argument with 20 paragraphs of gibberish and unrelated smilies.

:edthumbs::righton::nauga::magoo: :pineapple:

14. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I'm glad that people are pointing out Steve's caveat about being allowed to reproduce only one paragraph if that is all that you are responding to in a multi-paragraph post. Otherwise people might feel inhibited from writing longer, wider-ranging posts as no one would respond to them; and reading such posts from knowledgeable people and budding fellow obsessives is a big attraction of the forum for me.

15. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

See, but you don't have to do that, since you only need to use the one paragraph, not the whole post in such an instance.

But yes, I did include your entire post just to be safe.

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Why?

17. therockman

Can I just bring a picture from the Katy Perry thread and post it in any other thread that I want?

18. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Every one of your posts has a picture of Katy Perry:D (your avatar)

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Or many others :)

And I'd guess that the proportion of posters who actually read threads they post in is small.

20. therockman

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

21. Thurenity

Normally I'm the first to bite the hand that feeds - I actually responded back to Steve's request to add your hometown, for example. But this particular thread really hits home as it's very relevant.

The forum moderators here, from what I've seen so far, do a great job balancing the rules but not seem overly strict - which is to be commended. But, with the large amount of users here and the subjective nature of music and audio hardware, there will undoubtedly be some friction. It's all very common sense stuff, here - don't take things personally, don't edit a user's posts in such a way just to attack them, etc.

I have my opinions on music, which I happily voice to everyone. But in the end every comment is subjective. My musical preferences are no better or worse than anyone else's here. And as for audio hardware, it seems to be almost as subjective, and some people really do seem to take their system setups very personally. I guess I can understand the reason why as they might see the systems as almost an extension of themselves.

Someone pointed out recently that this is essentially Steve's forum - it's got his name on it. So keep that in mind, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.