Hi Rez downloads - how to play?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by duneman, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I do not have a dac...so my best solution is to burn a hi-rez disc to play on my main set up....

In that situation, I need the disc for the hi-Rez experience, right?

2. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

No, the Touch has a built in DAC and supports 96/24 files. All you need to do is hook it up to your stereo and it plays the files through your wi-fi or an ethernet connection. Listening to the 96/24 "The Union" as I type this.

3. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

4. rpd

rpd Senior Member

re the cirlinca.com program...any comments?

5. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Here's something I still have not figured out. I have a file in 192kHz. it's a .wv single file. There is a cue sheet attached.

I understand about converting the .wv to .wav, but from there I'm at a loss since it's a single file. I'm on a mac.

Anyone?

6. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Medieval Cue Splitter on Windows will take the single file and split it into individual tracks according to the cue file.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Werent things supposed to get Easier with Digital?

8. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Get XLD. You'll be able to split the file into individual tracks according to the cue file and then convert from Wavpack (WV) to WAV, AIFF or FLAC. Just drag the cue file on the XLD icon and it'll take care of the rest.

9. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

10. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Had no idea there were so many ways to do this. And I'm still learning how to burn CDs!

11. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Is there any real advantage to burning them a DVD-A over a DVD-V? Seems like burning them as a DVD-V is much easier on a Mac or a PC and they can be played on nearly any DVD player. Am I missing something?

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If you're talking about 24/96 files, probably not. However, DVD-A does give you the possibility of burning 24/44.1, 24/88.2, 24/176.4 and 24/192 files without sample rate conversion (and the last two won't burn to DVD-V anyway).

13. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

DVD-V only allows 48 or 96kHz. 16bit or 24 bit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Audio_data

DVD-A allows much more combinations.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-A#Audio_specifications

For for "Band on the Run", 24/96 can be burned to either format.

EDIT: Yeah, the previous person beat me to it

14. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Thanks guys! I forgot about the 2 higher resolutions in my previous post, but most high-res music can be burned to DVD-V. I am not sure why, but most DVD-A burning software does not seem to be very user friendly. I just want to drag, drop and burn. Hopefully, that will improve as more higher-res music is released.

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If you're on a Mac, DVD-Audiofile does just that. It's available for Windows also, but it may leave miniscule gaps between tracks in that version.

16. jpwheeling2000

jpwheeling2000 New Member

Roxio

Hi everybody, I to like to down load High End Audio, I get mine from Linn Records web sight and HD Tracks web sight, there great places to down load High End Music and I forgot Chesky. So my input is Roxio, I've been leaving Forum's on there web sight to get some answers, it's like Pulling Hairs, I got an answer on my Question, but he didn't answer it, my Question was can Roxio 11 Mac version do High End DVD- Audio, my answer was it can, but it's only in DVD- Video, He forgot to mention if it was in 24/96 or even Higher 24/192, I was hoping maybe some body here has Roxio 11 that can launch it tell me if it can. The answer I received on there web sight also stated DVD- Video is better for play back, where is you don't need a Specialty DVD player to play that high end music, thanks for any help.

17. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

This is where I'm stuck as well.

I have 24/192 wav files that I need to burn to an Audio DVD. I know Roxio Toast can make them, but 24/192?? And will any of my DVD or Blu-ray players play them?

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

24/192 requires DVD-A rather than DVD-V. Almost any version of Toast will burn the .iso that DVD-Audiofile creates.

19. Why even burn to DVD-A? Physical media is quickly growing obsolete. I just keep the hi-res files on the computer and playback that way. I have been using Songbird which seamlessly supports hi-res audio and avoids the "Audio/MIDI shuffle" that Mac users have to do when playing back hi-res via iTunes.

You could also copy the files onto a USB thumbdrive and plug the drive into the USB port on your disc player (if it has one--many newer disc players do).

20. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Does anybody have any experience with 'Burn' for Mac?

I just generated an ISO (to be burned elsewhere) of a 192/24 album, but it created it so seamlessly that I'm suspicious the end result might not be true hi-rez or something (crazy, I know).

21. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Exactly what I do. :righton:
    Works great. I use a TASCAM USB DAC and it plays bit perfect 24/96 files.

22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

This would explain why my hi-rez files used to play OK via Foobar2000 when I was using ASIO4ALL but then wouldn't when I switched to WASAPI.

My DAC is primitive and cannot deal with hi-rez so apparently ASIO was dithering the hi-rez files down (or something like that) whereas WASAPI does not do this. Or perhaps WASAPI will but I need to change some setting..

23. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

I've used BURN in the past to make DVD-A discs and it worked just fine IIRC.

24. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Man, it's early so perhaps that's why my brain isn't wrapping around this. Ugh! So simply converting the 24/96k .flac file to WAV and burning to DVD using a converter like FormatFactory automatically down-rez's to 16/44?

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

does anybody know how to burn 24/96 wav files to DVD-Video on a Mac apart from using Toast? as Toast puts 1 second gaps between each track

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.