Here's the $5,000 vinyl rig I'm considering...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by everydaysunday, Apr 24, 2024.

1. everydaysunday

everydaysunday Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone - lurking for a while but finally moved into a new place and am investing in a rig of my own!

Considering a pair of KLH Model 3 speakers - the only speakers in this price range I've heard in person. I love the look and will be listening to mostly classic rock, jazz, soul

Marantz PM8006

Technics 1200 MK7 (bought this cheap in France off a friend who was moving back to the USA)

My budget is around $5k and I already have the TT. Going to need a cartridge and a streamer to get Spotify running as well.

Before I pull the trigger on the 3's and the Marantz is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance :)

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

Hi there, welcome to the forum. I think you should go for it, you've heard the speakers yourself so that counts for a lot, more than anything I could say by way of a recommendation, although I would suggest having a bit more fun and making the effort to hear a couple of others such as JBL l82's, or Mission 770, or Wharfedales, not because I think they are better, but just to confirm and clarify your thinking.
    The review of the KLHs in Stereophile is fun, as are the speakers, though he does suggest removing the grills with bass heavy music. I too like the look, and am sure the 70w per channel Marantz 8006 will suit just fine.
    Wii streamers are getting a lot of love on the forum and are worth checking out as are Audio Tecnica carts to start with. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

3. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Looks like a decent setup, go for it.

4. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

So 5k more for a cart and a streamer?

Any cart and streamer that would cost 5k would sound amazing. You can’t go wrong. I’d recommend buying an external phono and there is no reason to spend a lot on a streamer unless it has an amazing DAC. Even then, $1,000 gets you set up nicely. The DAC and phono in the marantz isn’t terrible, you could spend $1,000 on a cart, $100 on a WiiM mini and save a lot of money.

Swann36 and forthlin like this.
  5. ossicle2brain

ossicle2brain Forum Resident

Ortofon 2m black, Project Tube Box S, and the Eversolo DA-6 or 8 for streaming and ripping all CDs/music downloads to an internal SSD card that you install.

800 for the black, 500, the Tube BoxS and 2k for the Eversolo A8 equals 3300 US. It's what I have and it checks all the boxes.

But with a the 2m Black and a good phono pre amp you can really get a feel for vinyl goodness. The other stuff is optional and streaming will rarely sound as good.

And forget Spotify, go Tidal or Qobuz. They sound better on good equipment.

Swann36 likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think it’s $5k for everything except the turntable he already has.

bever70 and Technocentral like this.
  7. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

That would certainly make way more sense

Big Blue likes this.
  8. everydaysunday

Yes, 5k for everything except the TT. Thanks everyone for the replies!

I ended up in a showroom yesterday demo'ing JBL L82 Classics (for a deal, floor model) with a Moon 250i v2 amp which really packs a punch. Best combo I've heard yet. Pretttttty close to pulling the trigger on that.

Wiim and Audio Tecnica for a cart sounds like the best path forward as well!

So excited.

9. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

Glad you are getting out and about to hear with your own ears, best way to quiet those 1st time buyer fears.
    I mentioned the JBLs because a friend has them and loves them paired with Rega Elex amp.
    Got to be with the orange grills though, brilliant look.

10. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

ok so $5k budget for everything except the turntable.

KLH model 5 -$2500
    NAD C3050 integrated amp - $1400
    Ortofon 2m black LVB -$1100

total = $5k

upgrade cables later

11. ChefBrunch

I do like these kind of budget threads, its fun to hypothetical on the OP's preferences

Wharfedale Aura 2 speakers = $2500
    Rotel RA1572-MK2 = $2300
    audio-technica VM-530EN = $200

total = $5k

12. ChefBrunch

JBL 4329P powered studio monitors can do just about everything. = $3500
    Pro-Ject tube box DS2 = $800
    Audio-technica AT-33ptg II = $600

total = $4900

$100 for cables

13. everydaysunday

Orange grills for sure!

Lawrencer2003 likes this.
  14. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

You might try to listen to some Revival Audio Atalante 3's. They are manufactured in France, I would think they have a presence in Paris and would be competitively priced.

ubiknik likes this.
  15. Dewey M

Dewey M Senior Member

I think I’d want a subwoofer too. Added a sub with speakers that go down to 42Hz, and it’s been a great improvement to me.

16. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

I would make sure to listen to lots of different speakers before pulling the trigger. Reviews are great, but it's obviously your ears and room that matter.

Do you have a phono preamp?

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Looks like the Marantz PM8006 has a built-in MM phono preamp.

mattsob1 likes this.
  18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Nope

He has to get the speakers, the Marantz, the streamer and the cartridge.

M~

19. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I'd go with the Marantz 2245 all kinds of functionality including a built in phono stage, should be able to get a good one for under 1500 bucks.

KLH Model 5's $2500

$1000 extra for buying albums.

20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Do you already have a vinyl collection ? If not sell the TT and get a CDP. Vinyl is imperfect, uber expensive, and really inconvenient. The amp is nice; I'd pair it with Klipsch floorstanders.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What’s great about this forum is when I saw you were the last reply to this thread, I knew with 100% certainty this is what you had posted. :biglaugh:

Don’t listen to him, OP. Vinyl is awesome. All formats of recorded music playback are imperfect.

beowulf, mreeter, bever70 and 7 others like this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Ad nauseam:D

Big Blue likes this.
  23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The KLH model 3 ~ 1500 for a pair- you need to consider the Philharmonic BMR monitors ~ 1600 / pair. Everyone who heard them at the AXPONA audio show loved them. These are special speakers.
    The Marantz is excellent, so is the TT. Get an Ortofon 2M bronze and call it a day.

24. Carolina Blues

Carolina Blues Forum Resident

For Streaming, get a Wiim and Quboz. Forget Spotify. Once you go high-res you'll never go back!

25. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Vinyl rig or the whole setup for five grand? There is a difference.

For me "vinyl rig" means TT, tonerarm, cartridge and phono phono preamp. Everything else is extra. And yes, you can get a decent "vinyl rig" for $5K.

GyroSE likes this.