"Henry Mancini PURE GOLD" CD from 1987. 24 minutes of heaven?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Have patience, give it a couple months, and the price will come back down when this temporary wave of buyers recedes.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

His first album for RCA was the first Peter Gunn album. In those days, 50,000 was a good volume to sell of a jazz title (for someone like Shorty Rogers, who was actually the one RCA approached to record the Gunn music, not an unknown like Mancini at the time). Instead, the album took RCA by surprise, and they sold over one million. Early on, in fact, they ran out of LP jackets and shipped out Peter Gunn in generic LP sleeves.

Some of his albums did make the Top 40 on the Billboard album charts throughout the 60s, but back then, instrumental and jazz music still had a chance to co-exist with pop/rock of the day. He's sold a lot more than a lot of people think, but definitely his time was the 50s and 60s, and to a lesser extent the 70s. In this modern day, I hate to say that his music would sell mainly to music aficionados with broad tastes (like some of us here), or "old fogies" who owned couple of his albums way back when. For most of the market in this century, a single-disc compilation with the familiar tracks is more than enough. His albums do get reissued occasionally in Europe and Japan, but I suspect they don't sell in huge numbers. I'd still pay for a really good transfer of Mr. Lucky Goes Latin (which is a great sounding LiViNg StErEo LP) on CD, but I doubt I'll ever see it. The one copy I heard was quite flawed with bad editing. :sigh:

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I got mine today but without the case as stated. I will listen tonight.

Is 3667-2-R the right matrix #?

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I listened to Steve and was able to pick one up before the Deluge price increase.

lees- That is the correct matrix

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Cool. Thanks jojo! :righton:

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

So Steve... is my Henry Mancini - All Time Greatest Hits Volume 1 (RCA 8321-2-R) guilty of the wonk? It's a black-back RCA midline (c) 1988 with credits to Don Wardell, Chick Crumpacker (is that a real name?), and Dick Baxter. It's got plenty of hiss but, come to think of it, the depth leaves something to be desired - not a lot of low-end. 15 tracks in all - no dialogue on "Baby Elephant Walk".

7. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Mr. Lucky Goes Latin

I seen two or three CD versions of Mr. Lucky Goes Latin, an earlier single-album version and a French two-fer with it combined with Mr. Lucky. Which one is the flawed one that you heard?

Thanks

8. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Is this the Mr. Lucky you're talking about. It's ADD.

Attached Files:

9. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Who among you love the sound of Henry Mancini 3-CD Box Set called "The Days Of Wine and Roses" - RCA 7863-66603-2 ?

Audio Restoration: Bill Lacey
    Digital Transfers: Mike Hartry

10. cadillacjack

cadillacjack Forum Resident

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I have been hanging out in Squaresville for a long time ... I own (in Mono and Living Stereo) ... and listen to ... all of Mancini's early RCA LPs ... they're ... way out :cool: ...

12. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Just got to hear the 'greatest hits' in quad. It has Peter Gunn, Fallout, Mr Lucky, Lujon and March of the Cue Balls. Oh man! Get it if you can!

15. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

I have a Mr. Lucky CD :nyah:

16. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Just received a used copy with matrix 3667-2-R

Even on the laptop through headphones I can tell this is going to be a cool listen :)

JohnnyH

17. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I never realized there was this much interest in Henry Mancini. I have been a Mancini fan for many years, but always associated Mancini fans being much older than me, and I am in my late 50s.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

My favorite band, Jellyfish, cites him as one of their major influences along with The Beatles, Pet Sounds and Queen. You can hear it in their melodies.

19. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

just got mine £3!!

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Got 2 Mancini CD's, including "Gold" on ebay yesterday....total for both..$11 Looking forward to what all the hype is about...

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The only thing I miss on Pure Gold is "A Shot In The Dark", an essential cut, imho. Any ideas on the best-mastered version available on CD?

Thanks in advance!

22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

It's on that Time Life comp mastered by Dennis Drake...I think

23. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Get the Darcy M. Proper mastered Ultimate Pink Panther. It's inexpensive and sounds great.

24. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes, "A Shot In The Dark" is on the Drake comp:
    1. Peter Gunn Theme
    2. Mr. Lucky
    3. Blue Satin
    4. Moon River
    5. Rhapsody In Blue
    6. Dream of You
    7. Experiment In Terror
    8. Theme From "Hatari!"
    9. Charade
    10. Moonlight Serenade
    11. Dream a Little Dream of Me
    12. Lonesome
    13. The Pink Panther Theme
    14. Days of Wine and Roses
    15. Softly As I Leave You
    16. The Shadow of Your Smile
    17. Moonlight Sonata
    18. The Windmills of Your Mind
    19. A Shot In the Dark
    20. Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet
    21. A Day In the Life of a Fool
    22. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
    23. Theme From Love Story
    24. Two For the Road

http://cgi.ebay.com/HENRY-MANCINI-I...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.