"Henry Mancini PURE GOLD" CD from 1987. 24 minutes of heaven?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Oops... I meant 8 tracks from the first 2 Best of Mancini LP comps marked with asterisks. The first of the first 2 Best of Mancini comps is the best of the series. You can get track listings of any LP, etc. by going to http://bjbear71.com/Hank/collection.html

2. Still waiting for my 24 Minutes Of Heaven, should be here any day now...:goodie:

3. BradOlson

Once you enjoy Pure Gold and would like more, get either the Dennis Drake "Instrumental Favorites" CD from Time Life off of eBay or Amazon Marketplace or buy the 2 Best of Mancini LPs mentioned at any thrift store.

Instrumental Favorites on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000Q1D06E/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1212813756&sr=8-2 Cover: [​IMG]

Best of Vol. 1 LP cover: [​IMG]
    Vol. 2 LP cover[​IMG]

4. Thanks for the tip.

5. BradOlson

6. BradOlson

You're welcome

7. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

8. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Oh boy, I see that the Musicstack.com is out of stock too now. I received an email tonight from them. Below is what they responded with.

hello, unfortunately the item is currently out of stock,I will update my catalog shortly.I may get other copies in the near future, but cannot say for sure when. if you can find something else from my catalog toreplace this item we can close the deal. I can adjustthe final cost accordingly. otherwise please find time and return to the order andcancel this open order.sorry again.regardsChris (SSM)

So I guess I will just have to wait for a decent price for a copy of it . If anyone else knows a good place too find this at a reasonable price please post a link or web site address.

9. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Just ordered mine from Amazon.uk for 7.50 Pounds, which comes to a little over 9 Euros. I've always loved Mancini's music... Just wish there was a comp with the Audrey Hepburn version of "Moon River" instead of the Laurence Welk-soundalike version.

Keep posting your latest faves, Steve! :thumbsup:

11. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip.

I also like this Telarc-Recording. Super Sound and Tracklist.

[​IMG]

12. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

My copy just arrived and I'm playing it now. This thing does sound awefully nice. Wonderful dynamics. This will be good for Sunday mornings...

Thanks for the tip. :winkgrin:

13. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

Got mine last night. Thanks for the head's up :righton:

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Mine just arrived in the mail. Listened once and Whew! I have all the original LPs on which these tunes appeared and you won't find a better combination of sound and dynamics than on this CD. Oh I still have a soft spot for the original LP version of It Had Better Be Tonight.

Some people make fun of the music from the fifties by picking a few examples of the worst. But when I got to hear Billy May on Naked City series, Nelson Riddle on The Untouchables and Route 66, then Henry Mancini on Peter Gunn and then Mr. Lucky, I think I was lucky. The series had relatively good recorded sound too.

15. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

Since the "Pure Gold" CD was issued in 1990 and I have the "Days of Wine and Roses" box set that came out in 1995, do I the great-sounding, remastered tracks that were on "Pure Gold"? Believe it or not, I've not opened the box set yet. Are there remastering differences between the two releases? Or are they virtually identical. Please advise. Thanks.

16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Audrey and a guitar? There is (or was). I have it.

17. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

Just got mine in the mail. Sounds great! :righton:

18. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Here is one:

http://tinyurl.com/3oyzmw

19. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I got mine in the mail. I think it sound great. But I also think it sounds like every other RCA Mancini with the black back.
    Pink Panther soundtrack sounds great
    Peter Gun cd sounds great
    So does my Breakfast at Tiffany's
    I don't hear any difference between the one Steve recommended vs any of the RCA's I own.

BTW, I don't think that Drake cd from Time Life sounds nearly as good as these Rcas

20. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Congrats, you missed the entire point of my thread.

22. jojopuppyfish

I was hoping you could go into some detail on what you think was wrong with these early RCAs.
    When I listen to the RCA Pink Panther soundtrack, its one of the few jazz cds that sounds like it could be every bit as good as a record.
    I wouldn't trade it for the world.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Nothing is wrong with them. The 3 of us that have Mr. Lucky I'm sure play it...

For the majority of people who wouldn't think of buying a Squaresville Henry Mancini CD in a hundred-zillion years, this thread is for THEM. Re-read my first post.

24. jojopuppyfish

And because of you, you've increased the prices of the Mancini best of 1000% Now no one can get it. :)

Mancini is far loved by many people. Everything from the Theme of What's Happening to the Pink Panther to Peter Gun to Moon River.
    I was kind of surprised when you earlier said he doesn't sell well.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hey, it's not Steve's fault. You had a couple decades to pick up this title!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.