"Henry Mancini PURE GOLD" CD from 1987. 24 minutes of heaven?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you gotta laugh!:biglaugh:

better than cryin...

2. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I agree. It's always possible to look around for a good price, but first we need to know which CDs to be looking for!

Walmart has new copies in stock now for $13.88.

3. Michael

not anymore...:D

Out of Stock Online

4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I know that there may be an initial surge but I doubt this item is going to stay like this as far as price. Who do you think is grabbing all the cheap ones and leaving the higher priced ones behind?

It isnt like the price went up or the sellers said "oooo this is rare now and important lets gouge them from now on". Its simply that the cheap ones were bought by us. Those discs that are 80 and 100 bucks were already there. Once this thread dies off the title next month will be fairly easily found for not too much.

Steve doesnt like for us to have to pay a 100 bucks for a cd that he mentions and when the idea is pushed that its becoming rare now and prices are going to become crazy because of Steve mentioning the cd it gives him the idea that he is making things worse for us and he then doesnt like to mention great sounding cds as often. Which isnt true to give him that impression.

He mentioned the Hank Thompson cd awhile back and yes for a bit it was pricey. I held off wrote it down and came back to it a month later. No problem. Found it for 5 bucks.

Let's not give wrong impressions and cheat ourselves of future suggestions by our host please.

6. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Yep, I got an email back for the Amazon seller today stating that the Mancini "pure Gold" CD was Out of Stock now. So I guess I was too late in ordering mine yesterday as the order has been cancelled now.

7. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

One of the best sounding box sets in my entire collection.

8. Michael

...or he decided to keep it!:D

maybe a reader here...

9. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I love that record, probably my favorite.

My Mom and Dad drug me to a Mancini concert in Philly when I was 10...I haven't stopped thanking them.

10. houston

houston Forum Resident

guess I'll be waiting a month or two for prices to come down...on a side note, I believe "Half-Price Books" has new cd copies of some RCA gold series albums, they look like bootlegs (and, for some reason, they have lots of Stevie Wonder's "Talking Book" bootlegged), not sure if they have the Mancini, but I almost bought Perry Como's Gold cd..untill I added up the minutes, around 26, and decided it wasn't worth it

11. Why does this always happen?

[​IMG]

Another CD to add to the CDs you'll never purchase because they are way out of your price range. :shake:

Be interesting to get a response from these sellers and ask why their price is in the $100. range when this CD was 2 bucks the other day.

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

prices will come down eventually

13. Russ

Russ Outlaw

If I wasn't such a capitalist that would aggravate me.

Regardless, they're friggin' ________ (anatomical expletive).

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

At least my seller didn't cancel out on me, he emailed that it was being shipped yesterday.

Uh, in an earlier post I gave the wrong source for the information on Hatari's Baby Elephant Walk: "...he credits a forties song by Will Bradley/Ray McKinley for his idea behind "Baby Elephant Walk".

It wasn't the autobiography, but in another book I read: Gene Lees Arranging the Score; Portraits of the Great Arrangers. Here's the quote:

"Hank soon was working on Hatari!, a 1962 film with an African setting directed by Howard Hawks. One scene in the picture was purely fortuitous. Three baby elephants took a great affection to actress Elsa Martinelli and started following her. Hawks simply shot footage of it without knowing whether he even wanted to use it in the final picture. Hank looked at it, at Hawks' request, and remembered a Will Bradley boogie-woogie hit record, "Down the Road A-piece." He used it as a model, and the boogie-woogie piece he wrote, played on a calliope, Baby Elephant Walk, became yet another hit."

15. BradOlson

16. Michael

17. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

I agree. The Manicini sounds really nice.
    But didn't "DH" also engineer Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come"?
    I thought he did a wonderful job on that one.

18. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

What's bizarre is, I just checked the product page on Amazon, and the $108 one is gone and the one for $88 is still left :eek:

I think some people said those were the prices originally before the buying binge started.

But as people have said, the initial demand will fall and supply will increase as people decide it's a good idea to sell their old copies to take advantage of this new demand

19. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

That is right.

20. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

After seeing this thread, I could'nt pass up a vg+ mono " Music from Mr Lucky" on rca vinyl. After hearing this, I need more Mancini.

21. BradOlson

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Out of Stock?

Here is an interesting development I ordered this CD and received this following e-mail confirmation.

June 5 @ 6:09AM

Hi,

I'm just writing to thank you for your recent order for Pure Gold and to pass along my email address in case you need to contact me for any reason. You can email [email protected] and either myself or one of my associates will get back to you as soon as we can.

If you have a problem, please don't hesitate to email. Also, I would ask that you please contact us before leaving negative feedback. A negative feedback really hurts our business and I am confident that we can resolve any problem you may have.

Thank you for your business!

Woody's Books:thumbsup:

SURPRISE, much later the same day the following e-mail arrived, but the seller still had the CD available but for $100.00 USC:confused:

June 5 @ 3:55PM
    I am so sorry to be writing you for this reason! We are out of stock on the item you ordered (104-6541114-9734660) so I have no choice but to cancel your order. You have been refunded for this purchase. Please accept my sincerest apologies and I hope to better serve you on your next order with us. The out of stock title is Pure Gold.

Thank you for understanding!

Woody\'s Books:thumbsdn:

Hmmmmm, I’ve decided I’m not in the mood for Mancini anymore. I’ve waited since this collection was first released in 1975 I can wait a LOT longer. After all the content is out there in many different forms. I politely suggest you guys do the same.:agree:

23. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

25. BradOlson

More GEMM copies have been sold thanks to me mentioning it, and a dealer on MusicStack does have a $11.67 plus S&H copy listed here: http://www.musicstack.com/item/39556497/mancini,henry/pure+gold+.

BTW, Pure Gold does select 10 of the "best" tracks from the first 2 "Best of Mancini" LPs and combines them into one compilation with only a few tracks not on either of these 2 comps, "Moment To Moment," and "Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet" *=On Pure Gold

Vol. 1. Side 1:
    Peter Gunn*
    Timothy
    Lujon
    March of the Cue Balls
    Fallout!
    Mr. Lucky*
    Side 2: Moon River*
    Experiment in Terror
    Baby Elephant Walk*
    Days of Wine and Roses*
    Theme from "Hatari"