"Henry Mancini PURE GOLD" CD from 1987. 24 minutes of heaven?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yes, it was my understanding that it was a emergency understock cover, used in a pinch. I have several RCA-Victor pop and classical albums that use it..

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Thanks for the tip Steve! My first instinct would be that the vinyl (which I own) sounds better.

I think I might have seen a copy of this CD at my local library so I might be in luck.

dan c

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Steve for your input ...

Another Peter Gunn related LP worth giving a listen is the LP below ... on Crown (the budget label) ... in stereo ... I wouldn't have given it a second thought (because of the Crown label) if I hadn't heard it playing while I was looking through a very unusual collection of 5,000+ LPs.

Attached Files:

Tony A. likes this.
  4. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Which is also about the same time that SOMEBODY TO LOVE (as Steve mentioned in his original post) was recorded. I wonder what was going on at RCA's Music Center of the World at this time? I don't think the Dynagroove process had anything to do with it, as the recordings done at RCA's New York studios during this time period sound fine.

5. Steve, you gotta quit recommending discs unless it's in a PM. :laugh:

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I was just thinking the same thing!!

Evan :eek:

7. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Amazon has crazy prices on all kinds of sealed cds. Its nutty regardless of the forums effects. There was a sealed one for 88.00 before anyone had even posted on this thread. I dont think this one will go the "Ugly Pink" route. The Hank Thompson disc was a bit difficult for a time and then it cooled off. Fairly easy to find now for a decent price.

My point? Keep recommending great sounding cds Steve! :agree:

8. Isn't that on Rhino? Turn the treble down! :laugh:

9. the Saint

the Saint Forum Resident

Price on Amazon has jumped to 88 dollars new!

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

It was already that before anyone posted on this thread. Like I said, discs on amazon are already at crazy prices when you look down at the new sealed items on many cds.

Let's not scare Steve off from recommending future discs that sound great! :sigh:

11. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

Overall, I like the sound on this set.

It also has contains the "Theme from the Great Imposter" in first-time stereo.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I like the set, but when I'm really in the mood for Mancini, I don't want mine all over the map...I want an album like The Blues and The Beat, or the Christmas album, or a soundtrack. Having a comp in front of me is just begging for me to want a taste of something else before I've finished the track that's playing!

13. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's the one that says it was produced by Paul Williams for House Of Hits on the back...the same guy who did the non-Anestisi Guess Who single-disc comp around that time.

Funny, I e-mailed Paul about it, and he wasn't aware of it...:wtf:

I also asked about this one in the last big Mancini thread, but nobody responded.

15. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

16. Love Mancini as well but don't have this one yet - Amazon here I come.

17. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Wallet - here you come.

18. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

So do I...although at the time of that older thread, didn't remember that. It's still the 'rare' PETER GUNN cover, though it's funny that no other label in history(AFAIK)ever had an issue with not having enough original album covers/sleeves for their records...:D

There is also the possibility(however slight)that these were early record club issues?

:ed:

19. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:agree: My Mancini "Pink Panther" soundtrack album is one of the LPs that I use to demonstrate how good records can sound.

Guess I'll have to pick the "Henry Mancini Pure Gold" CD up so I can demonstrate how good CDs can sound. :D

20. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The albums by the Bonanza cast members sound great and were recorded at RCA Hollywood, the same with Ssgt. Barry Sadler's RCA albums.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sad, but true.:(

22. Well the cheapest on Amazon is currently at $88.67.

23. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Haven't heard it in ages, but the Molly Maguire (?) soundtrack was real nice...

Surreal.

Too few outlets.

The world that recorded classic pop seemed to be dying right and left by then. Living Stereo and Living Presence were over too. Different attitudes toward "older" music and recording, different policies, different engineers, multi-tracking, isolation, way way more extensive consoles, throwing out the old tube gear for more and cheaper solid state electronics, deader studios, stereo-only, a lot of things were going on. "Older" music styles with good sound still happened but it seems to me to have become more of an exception.

:uhhuh:

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

25. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

...or only recommend a disc if it's still in print!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.