"Henry Mancini PURE GOLD" CD from 1987. 24 minutes of heaven?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Buck 99, such a deal!

TonyACT likes this.
  2. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Well that was a quick listen! You weren't kidding on the SQ of this one. Had it on in the background while I was doing some work and enjoyed it very much. My ears really perked up when I heard the bass on that 3rd track 'Charade' - it goes deeeeep!

Hey Steve - while I've got your attention, let me personally thank you for two recent acquisitions - I've been floored by both Bob Dylan's GH Vol. II (Lay Lady Lay in particular was a revelation, but the whole thing is fantastic), plus Elvis 24 Karat Hits - it just flat out kicks ass in every way. Outstanding work on these that will give me many hours of musical joy... Many thanks!

supermd and TonyACT like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

My pleasure on all counts!

grx8 likes this.
  4. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

What the heck, just ordered - $7 on ebay (with shipping). I can't resist a CD recommended by our host!

supermd and ggjjr like this.
  5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Whoa, Steve's recommendation must have really driven up the price. I'm glad I got this when it was only $3.00

6. Steve Hoffman

As I've maybe mentioned, one thing you won't get on our Mancini CD is this dryer version of Gunn. Recorded and mixed live at Radio Recorders by T. N. it is a great track. The mono Gunn LP is also dryer. I'm used to the more open sounding (but much wetter) stereo version on the CD though.

Johnny Williams on piano..

At any rate, here it is:

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It seems like they used the masters for the Pure Gold CD too, not an LP compilation reel.

If you load up the Peter Gunn theme alongside the mastering from the AP SACD you can see the additional dropouts the tape has developed in the 20 years since Pure Gold!

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Bought one. Thanks, love your OOP cheapo CD recommendations. A couple years ago, I picked up your Hollies (smokestacks) and Kinks (PINK) greatest hits ones, too, along with the Dennis Drake Cream “Strange Brew.” Happy to add another to my collection!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  9. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I bought this in 2013 after seeing this thread and just listened to it again after seeing the bump. This CD has great sound, with a spaciousness I usually associate with minimally mic’d classical recordings.

10. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

If someone would have told me that I'd order a Henry Mancini album on CD today I'd have told them they are bonkers!
    Bonkers indeed.
    CD ordered from Amazon.
    Click.

supermd and JohnBeas like this.
  11. hifisoup

My copy arrived yesterday 5/10. I’ll test it out today. :)

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Just ordered a copy £2.29 from eBay free P&P. Looking forward to listening :)

13. hifisoup

Talk about taking me back...this sounds as good as it did on my parents Magnavox console back in the day. Sure brought back some memories.
    This may be the most 'natural' recording I've heard, at least on my system. The left to right separation of the instruments is wonderful and there is even a center image and depth to the sound.
    Baby Elephant Walk and Peter Gunn did it for me. The first five (?) songs are mellow (love the vocals and background vocals) but when BEW and PG kick in the sound quality really shines.
    Thanks, SH for this recommendation. I'm glad to have it now in my collection and will continue to use it in my listening.

By the way, my copy cost $1.75 plus 3.99 shipping. LOL. Memories...

jfeldt likes this.
  14. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I bought a sealed copy on Amazon for around $10. I have other Mancini on CD - the Pair collection mentioned above, and the circa 2000 Greatest Hits.

This to me is a good example of punch vs. detail. The other CDs have higher measured DR and are a little more clinical in their detail. The Pure Gold is for listening.

I first played it for my wife on a decent old Sony boombox. The "Side 1" tracks were okay, but the last five tracks sounded pretty darn good.

As Steve has already said, I would choose the Pure Gold to play in the car or in other settings where the music was more important than audiophile sound.

hifisoup likes this.
  15. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Thought some of you would enjoy seeing this, the 3-track master assembly for side one of The Music from "Peter Gunn".

Recorded by Walt Payne, mixed by Dayton Burr "Bones" Howe and Al Schmitt. RCA master number J2PY-7174.

[​IMG]

jfeldt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.