Hendrix "Steppin' Stone"--TWO Buddy Miles mixes!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve E., Apr 21, 2008.

1. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I assume you mean the CD set.

I am surprised no one has mentioned in this Entire Thread the vinyl boxset The Classic Singles Collection Vol 2. This set has what is stated in the liner notes to be the original single mixes of Stepping Stone and Izabella. I don't have the original single so can't compare.

I have no desire to compare all the Stepping Stone mixes as it is one of my least favorite Jimi songs.

However, I love Izabella and can say the vinyl boxset The Classic Singles Collection Vol 2 is vastly different than War Hereos and in a really good way imo. I also have the Voodoo Child CD but have never compared both of these Izabellas. Has anyone ever compared the actual original single of Izabella to the vinyl boxset The Classic Singles Vol 2?

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Both singles box sets (CD and vinyl) have the same alternate mixes as Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection, it seems like Experience Hendrix believe these alternate mixes are the single mixes and the correct mixes have never been reissued.

crozcat likes this.
  3. Experiencereunited

Are you referring to Stepping Stone, Izabella or both? And you know this via a direct compare or based on someone else's direct comparison.

4. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Courtesy of Prof Stoned:
    JH_SS_IN - JustPaste.it

alchemy and Experiencereunited like this.
  5. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

Don't post that kind of stuff, unless you want to be banned. Just reference it.

6. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

What I posted is just a text description of the mix differencies.

alchemy likes this.
  7. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

You should just post the text. It's crossing into sketchy.

But anyway, I'm guessing that people are not privy to the fact that the EH mixes and the original single mixes are similar. So there is confusion and crossover in the information. If Prof Stoned says that the single mixes were never reissued, then he is probably right.

crozcat likes this.
  8. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

The First Rays version sounds NOTHING like the versions w/Buddy on drums.

Mitch's drums are uneven and sound like sneakers in a dryer compared to Buddy

9. Heavy Metal Snow White

Booze and heroin can do that to a drummer...

Experiencereunited likes this.
  10. Heavy Metal Snow White

Ain't no way Hendrix would've went with Mitch's mess over how tight and in the pocket Buddy's groove had that song...

11. Experiencereunited

Interesting prof stoned lists his reference here as Steve E from Steve Hoffman forums in this thread! Yet unless I missed something Steve E makes no reference to The Classic Singles vol 2 boxset anywhere. It seems by deduction it is being said The Classic Singles vol 2 boxset Izabella is the same as what is on Voodoo Child. So this circular reference does not seem to be valid. Again unless I missed something.

I have both Voodoo Child and The Classic Singles vol 2 boxset so will do a direct compare of Izabella. Again I don't care about Stepping Stone so won't be doing that one.

Steve E. likes this.
  12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm referring to both. I have a vinyl rip of the original single (the Prof.'s) and I have Voodoo Child: The Jimi Hendrix Collection and The Singles Collection CD box set so I have compared those (and by the way the same mix of "Stepping Stone" was used way back on Kiss The Sky so this is a long standing mix up). I don't have the 7" Classic Singles Collection Vol. 2 box set so I guess I am basing on comparisons that I remember as being done by others (as this has been discussed several times in different threads), maybe referring back to the Prof. Stoned document (as I've read that before) so it may all be going in circles as you say and no one has actually done it after all (so let us know your findings). But these three releases came out quite close to one another and why would they use alternate mixes for some of them and claim they were the single mixes and then suddenly use the actual single mixes for a different release and not make a big deal if it was a new discovery? Experience Hendrix either don't know they are using different mixes or they know and pretend because the correct tapes are lost. (They seem equally ignorant that there is a well known alternate mix of Axis because I don't understand why they've never used it or even mentioned it anywhere.)

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. Heavy Metal Snow White

I think the mix-up for "Stepping Stone" is that there was an original single release on the 45rpm that was withdrawn, so then Hendrix most likely did more mixing/overdubs and tightened things up a bit, which then became the 'preferred mix' for Jimi himself and is most likely what Alan Douglas (rightly) used for Kiss The Sky and was mislabeled as the original BOG single version just because it has Buddy on the kit.

A. Mix 1 (on 45rpm) withdrawn - 1st mix
    B. Mix 2 Hendrix 'fixed' - Kiss The Sky/Voodoo Child comps
    C. Mix 3 Merrie Melodies - some kind of early in-progress rough mix that got sent to WB in a mix-up?

Which brings us to :

D. Mix 4 Mitch Mitchell's Abomination as so precisely named earlier in the thread. Is the mix on War Heroes and First Rays the same one? Not that it matters...

And then

E. Mix 5 Voodoo Soup with the guy from the Knack on drums. An Alan Douglas production. And somehow, still better than the Mitch Mitchell/Eddie Kramer Frankenstein.

Does that sum them up?

14. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I think that about covers it! It would be nice to get this cleaned up at some point and figure out exactly what was what.

15. Heavy Metal Snow White

Weird about the Merrie Melodies outlier

16. Experiencereunited

Voodoo Child CD/LP 2001
    The Singles Collection CD 2003
    Classic Singles Collection vol 2 45 RPM vinyl 2007

I wouldn't say 6 or even 4 years apart is that close. Never the less since I have both Voodoo Child and Classic Singles Collection Vol 2 as well as I almost forgot a dl of Profs original 45 rPM single I'll do some compares with the Classic Singles Collection Vol 2 version. From everything I've read it has only been assumed the vol 2 Izabella is the same as the others.

17. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Is there any evidence that Mix 3 is indeed a corrected mix by Hendrix or is this speculation? What date was Mix 3 made?

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That post might be the fairest of them all! :)

19. Heavy Metal Snow White

I think the one mixed on August 20-24 is the one heard on Kiss The Sky/Voodoo Child comps and the version w/ Mitch Mitchell on drums sounds a mess, as if it were one of the posthumous mixes...

20. Experiencereunited

Just compared Izabella original single 45 (prof stoned dl) verse voodoo Child CD verses Classsic Singles Collection Volume 2 45 RPM vinyl. Voodoo Child and Classic Singles Collection volume 2 do indeed seem to be the same mix. The 45 is even louder than Voodoo Child (both are loud) if you can believe that and seems to have its bass goosedeven more than Voodoo Child but otherwise they appear the same. The original single has far better balance to me and you can hear the percussion outside of the drums themselves way better. I think the original single is the best. Surprising as I always loved the Classic Singles Collection Volume 2 45 RPM before this comparison. At least I will say that Classic Singles Collection Volume 2 is still way better than the War Heroes version but the original single bests all when it comes to Izabella to me at least.

21. A Local Bloke

Doesn't the Mitchell one have some guitar parts not found on the single? If so, that'd be it I think.

22. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Yep, additional guitar parts right at the beginning. So those were likely done at Electric Lady, the question is if Mitch did his part in June as listed in Ultimate Hendrix (I think it’s listed there, away right now) or during the Oct-Nov posthumous sessions as Chris M among others postulates. The box may help answer that depending on how much documentation they have with it.

23. A Local Bloke

Also, the liner notes for Voodoo Soup mention that Stepping Stone was given a rough mix in August 1970.

Also, what's the best digital source for mix 3?

24. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll Thread Starter

This is a good summary. I think Mix 1 and 2 are similar enough that I'd be surprised if they weren't done back to back. But I do suspect Mix 2 was an attempt at improving Mix 1. It's all in the little details and musical jokes. A pity that mix 2 is so brickwalled on Voodoo Child.

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There isn't one, as far as I'm aware the one called "Mix 3" above has only ever been released on the Looney Tunes And Merrie Melodies WB sampler.

Steve E. likes this.