Hendrix 'Are You Experienced?' MONO - UK Track vs. French Barclay **samples**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prof. stoned, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member Thread Starter

Just a bump in the hopes to enlighten a few more Hendrix fans.

2. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

For me this new one from Prof. S is a really big deal. Like Chris M says, it has the fidelity of the stereo mix. I never thought we'd hear this album sound this good in mono. This is a real gift.

Lucky us.

3. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Thanks from me too Prof. It does make it easier to get a nice sounding copy of the mono mix, but it's going to cost top dollar. The Barclay edition is expensive - the going rate seems anywhere between $100 to $200.

4. prof. stoned

The original 1967 press, yes.
    But remember there are two reissue's.
    My copy is the one depicted on the previous page (released circa 1971) and there is the twofer with axis which is mono as well from circa 1975.
    Those are much cheaper to get on ebay (there's one of each on sale right now).

5. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

OK I pulled these out and gave a spin. I must concur with Prof Stoned on the French Barclay’s. AYE is a “great” sounding version. This mono screams out of the speakers. The Stereo version some of the songs get lost in separation and panning. The mono here is deep and thick. On “Fire” you can hear Mitch & Noel like no other version. I also gave a listen to the Barclay ABAL which is a good clean pressing. The 1st Track stereo was a good pressing too though my copy has been played. Note the Mono Stereo on the label. It’s all stereo. I bought these in 71-2 because they have great cover shots. Little did I know the quality of the vinyl till now. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

6. prof. stoned

Ah, thanks for that.
    I had assumed that Axis pressing was mono as well because a few Axis tracks appear in true mono on a Hendrix Barclay Greatest hits that I have as well.

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Check the Axis Barclay to find out if it is the same alternate mix as on the U.K. Polydor 2-fer....

8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I played "Little Wing " first thing, it's not the alternate mix and all stereo.

Sounds really good for stereo and the vinyl has very little surface noise.

9. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Yes! Finally got a listen to this one. . . Á Holy Grail´indeed. Scores better than ANYTHING i´ve heard so far. Great job to Prof for this incredible find!!!

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Even with what is, easily, the best mastering job we've ever heard, the mono version still has fidelity issues. Is the mix, itself, just inherently poor? You'd almost think the mono was the quickly tossed off mix, as opposed to the stereo...

11. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Hi all !
    I guess I got lucky yesterday, I bought a 4-record box of Barclay pressings with the much sought-after AYE mono cut, ABAS stereo and ELL stereo. The records are ex to mint, dead quiet. I've never heard Hendrix sound so good! Axis is much softer than the EH CD I have (or the Reprise I had before that), much more enjoyable. ELL is also so much better on vinyl.
    Thanks Prof for opening my eyes on the Barclays, I'm gonna look for more !

12. doc_cyclops

doc_cyclops New Member

Hmmm...I have a Barclay 4LP box with the AYE, ABAL, and ELL and was disappointed to find that AYE was not mono.

There is a 2LP Barclay set coupling AYE and ABAL. It has a picture of gangsters on the front, "Voodoo Soup" picture on the back. AYE is pure mono there and sounds pretty dang sweet. I have never been able to score a Track one.

13. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It must have been a later edition that you got. Mine has "Sun and Rainbow" on the labels. I found it was mono when I played it. I'll post pictures later if you want.

14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I think they meant "this record can be played on mono and stereo equipment", or perhaps they used the same labels for mono and stereo records. The ELL discs in the set I bought also have the mention mono-stereo on the label. They are stereo...

15. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

fantastic score! Yes pictures, please.

16. glea

glea Forum Resident

I think I still have this... must check it.

17. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Here ya go... These labels are really gorgeous...

Attached Files:

18. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

I've bought the boxset off eBay recently, and I have to say the sound quality on all 3 albums is phenomenal. I don't have a mono copy of AYE to compare it to, but ABAL and EL are simply the best versions I've heard (compared to Reprise and B2B).

The record labels however are black for AYE and ABAL, and brown with a blue-white-red thin circle for EL.

On another note, avoid the "Barclay" red vinyl version of ABAL you might see in some places: it's nowhere near as good as the real thing.

19. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Wow.
    Always listened to my Hendrix on Barclay, never knew they were even better than the real thing (cos I never had any other pressing to compare to).
    Thanks Prof for letting me know that: one day I might have "upgraded" to a British or American copy!

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

So is your all black label Barclay AYE the mono mix? They exist. Close to same writing as the above AYE multi-colored one, except the label is all black / silver print.

21. LFSDoc

LFSDoc time has told me not to ask for more

I have to (partially) disagree on this one... After a very uneasy EBay transaction (lost money, paid again, seller opens controversy and asks me to speak French, which I don't :sigh:, disc finally arrives, obviously not in 'perfect state' as advertised :D) I finally traced one of these 2LP sets from 1975, and while AYE is indeed true mono, it is a different mastering than the one Prof. Stoned has.
    Mine has less treble content, more akin to the Track LP. I have to make a more thorough comparison, but it does sound more balanced and 'meatier' than the Track LP, though. The search continues...
    Doc

22. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I recently got a French Barclay....Not sure,can one assume all the French AYE pressings are the mono mix?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

That's the same cover I had - its ca. 1970-71 I believe, based on the other 'LP advertisements' printed on the back side of it. My vinyl was true mono for sure, noticeably better than the UK track. That label 'looks the same' from memory but since I no longer have it I cannot verify. Good find! :thumbsup:

24. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It's got to be at least late 1970, as that's a picture from the Isle Of Wight Festival (8/30/70) on the cover...

25. prof. stoned

Just FYI, over the last year I've seen various copies of the French aye/axis two-fer that have the same deadwax info as the AYE copy pictured above (and used for the samples).
    They are out there here in central Europe but probably not so many in the US. Sadly, most copies I've seen in person were in less than good condition...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.