Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

OK...'Unheard Studio recordings from sessions for his final album,Double Fantasy'.I see two different sentences here....We're not getting the footage....

2. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Quite correct, it expressly mentions AUDIO from the sessions and VIDEO from 1980, two different things. The video discussed above no longer exists.

3. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

...Don't be so sure........But we still ain't getting it....

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

According to people that know about these things it does in fact exist.

5. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

What did Lennon mean by the bird comment?

6. I'll tell you what even though I don't think we'll get the footage...it's the first thing that literally lept to my mind when I read this- could it be that the 1980 video shoot will finally surface!! I think it'll be unheard studio recordings from 1980- pushing the new "Double Fantasy" related project (which is a truly odd choice, in an almost bootlegger's worthy kind of way, but I'm glad to have it rather than not...), and then different unseen video footage, probably not from 1980- unless we see the Cold Spring Harbor home videos ("Dear Yoko" demo, etc.) that have been all over youtube now for years...but I doubt, and am still hoping for, the 1980 video shoot...
    The other hopeful quote was her saying something about being 77 & working really hard on this as it might be sort of a last hurrah with Lennon re-issues of sorts..."Ono said she was putting a lot of care into the projects, because of her increasing age.

"I'm 77, so I think this could be my last effort, so I'm really trying very hard," she said."
    ...and too bad, if she doesn't clear the vaults of all those terrific & as yet unreleased pretty much finished songs in demo form...if not maybe Sean will eventually pick up the ball with them, and one hopes with the 1980 video material as well- if it doesn't surface this year eventually...one can hope...
    And remember folks one can never know & "MindGames" the poster was right, IIRC, about hearing Macca hitting some notes for what became him choosing to ressurect "Venus & Mars/Rockshow" as his show opener this here...he called it, before anyone else did, and with many, myself included, doubting it...let's hope he's right again!!!

7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

He had a big, long, sharp nose, a very thin face at the time, and owlish eyes through those glasses. I guess he meant he thought he looked like an avian creature ( as opposed to a lady!)

8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

If it exists, howcum nobody has ever seen it? Even 'those in the know' have never seen it. I like to see something or have someone else who has seen it tell me about it or read about someone who has seen it or have some tiny clue that someone somewhere has seen it before I believe in it.

9. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

My guess would be Big Bird, from Sesame Street...

10. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha! I certainly hope so ;).

But I agree there are two sentences. "Previously unseen video footage". And there are "unheard studio recordings from sessions for his final album, "Double Fantasy." Plus they are talking about "home movies only recently transferred to video" in another article...

11. monkboughtlunch

Do Yoko or Sean respond to Twitter questions? If so, anyone with a Twitter account care to ask them about the 1980 Dubin video footage seeing a commercial release?

12. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm not brave enough.

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Yoko Ono actually has a weekly Twitter Q&A!

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/7703

14. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Not John's last footage but I didn't know there was footage of Jimmy Carter's inaugural gala in 1977, where John was a guest alongside Muhammad Ali among others.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1110215/fullcredits#cast (mind you, this link does not lead to the footage but only confirms its existence).

15. monkboughtlunch

Anyone with an existing Twitter account care to ask Yoko if the August 1980 Hit Factory video footage of John performing "I'm Losing You" still exists and if it will be released in support of the fall remaster campaign?

16. monkboughtlunch

So does Yoko respond to all Twitter questions or just selectively?

17. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

She chooses which ones to answer, so unless she wants to reveal some rare information (for obvious reasons), she won't select questions such as these.

Still, it's worth a try. Depends on her mood I guess.

18. monkboughtlunch

I just tweeted the following question to Yoko's Q&A on Twitter. I'll post any response here.

http://twitter.com/#search?q=#yokoQandA

"John was videotaped performing "I'm Losing You" in August 1980 at The Hit Factory. Will this footage ever be released?"

19. monkboughtlunch

An interesting post by Greg who runs the Beatle Photo Blog. He notes that the video may exist in the hands of a collector. Does this mean Yoko doesn't have the master video tapes?

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=5726911&postcount=54

20. monkboughtlunch

As a follow up, Yoko responded to last week's submitted Twitter questions at this link: http://imaginepeace.com/archives/7703

However, Yoko did not respond to my question about the Aug 1980 video of John performing "I'm Losing You" at The Hit Factory.

21. monkboughtlunch

Your prediction was accurate.

I asked Yoko the following question on her Twitter Q&A last week and she didn't respond to it.

"John was videotaped performing "I'm Losing You" in August 1980 at The Hit Factory. Will this footage ever be released?"

Instead, Yoko opted to respond to silly questions like the ones below:

http://imaginepeace.com/archives/7703

Yoko avoids answering an interesting question about John's last ever pro-filmed music performance and opts to answer a bunch of asinine fluff questions.

This suggests to me that Yoko doesn't want to talk about this footage because she probably still has it and doesn't want to release it for some reason. Perhaps she feels the footage is unflattering to John and is squelching it to avoid what she feels could portray John in a somewhat unflattering light.

22. monkboughtlunch

Another interesting perspective. The guy than put up the great Double Fantasy Mystery Page web site took that page down. He apparently thinks the footage is "lost" and that the Lennon Estate does not have the footage. Below is what you find if you go to the web page that formerly contained the DF Mystery Page. So does he have some inside info that would lead him to believe Yoko no longer has the footage in her possession? See red text below.

See here: http://www.vintagebb.com/lennon.html

23. monkboughtlunch

Thomas Pugwash noted in another thread that a "blazing row" occurred and the video was destroyed. Does anyone have any background on this theory? Who had an argument -- and why did this lead to the alleged destruction of the footage?

24. monkboughtlunch

Hi Chip,

Since you apparently know the fate of the 1" master video tapes, any chance you could be so kind as to share the info here? I'm sure folks, myself included, would still buy your books if you shared this information now about what happened to the tapes, as opposed to saving the info for a couple of more years until your books are published.

Thanks!

25. monkboughtlunch

It would be cool if they captured some of the studio jams that day of the oldies medley Lennon performed.

While the stuff may have never been taped, here's a video of Elvis from the 68 special that was captured inadvertently and not released until 37 years later. Elvis jumped into an impromptu performance of of "Baby What You Want Me to Do" while the producer was re-cuing a backing track for another song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYQmbanhHyw&feature=related

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.