Has Yoko ever commented on the unseen 1980 Lennon music videos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

So here's Cheap Trick circa 1980. Only the drummer and guitarist (in the back row) played on I'm Losing You, correct? So the two guys in the control room pic below bear a resemblance to the lead singer and bassist of Cheap Trick (in the front row of publicity shot). Maybe those two hung out in the control room while the other two members of their band jammed with DF session bassist Tony Levin to listen to the rehearsal of the track? So maybe Lennon is listening to Cheap Trick rehearse I'm Losing You over the studio monitors in this pic before laying down his live take with Trick?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

That is one creeptastic photo.

3. monkboughtlunch

That guy is Andy Peebles from BBC?

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

No idea. Almost positive that isn't Robin Zander or Tom Peterson upthread. I have to say at this point I think I'd be more interested in Dream Police outtakes than Double Fantasy. Of course I'd love to see the DF footage as much as anyone.

5. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I can't believe how much informal photography was still being done in b&w by 1980... :)

6. Actually Lennon's Fender in that picture is "The Strat", which came out in the late 70's, and were available in red, white & blue...the matching red headstock is a giveaway, but, IIRC, you can also read "Strat" (as opposed to Stratocaster) on the headstock.

http://www.fender.com/community/for...&start=0&sid=d1feb8a821a89543d4af89ad76dd84aa

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38147&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

7. monkboughtlunch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. monkboughtlunch

You're correct. Looks like he had the version with the rosewood fretboard. Apparently "The Strat" was introduced in 1980.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

I'm pretty sure that is not members of Cheap Trick in the photo.

10. monkboughtlunch

Thanks! Any idea who they are? Did they play on Double Fantasy? Members of the Hit Factory engineering team? Or members of the Jay Dubin video shoot?

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think one of them is Earl Slick(guitar) who also played on several Bowie tours.

I think Jack Douglas with his head leaning in far right with his body cropped out of frame.

12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, it's Andy Peebles. He's not really as creepy as you may think

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I believe it's Yoko, Andy Newmark, John, Julie Last – assistant engineer.
    Lee DeCarlo-engineer, Jack Douglas

Slick had shorter hair at this point. That's why I believe it Newmark - the drummer.

14. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

None of them are Cheap Trick.

15. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

It's incredible how different John looks depending on the length of his hair... and how old/tired he looks in that picture with the blue background...

16. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Definatly not Robin Zander.And Tom Peterson was out of Cheap Trick already (although it would be a few months before it was made public.....)

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's Jack Douglas on the far right.....

Evan

18. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

From left to right:

YO / Jon Smith / JL / Julie Last / Lee DiCarlo / Jack Douglas

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonstrangedays.com

19. monkboughtlunch

Hi Chip

Looking forward to you book! Can you share any details with us about the August 1980 Dubin video shoot and the current existence status of the master 1" video tapes? Were any Lennon jams and rehearsals videotaped in addition to the takes of "Starting Over" and "I'm Losing You?" Was it really a 5 day shoot?

Also, what is the release date for your book?

Thanks!

20. lennonology

I'm afraid I can not say anything about the disposition of the tapes at this time.

I can say that it was only a single night shoot, from 9:00PM to 6:00AM, and the band had already tracked two songs and re-cut another earlier in the day (the session started at 2:00 PM). They videotaped three songs, which is evidenced by the hidden mic tapes: I'm Losing You, I'm Moving On and Give Me Something. Anything else were between simply jams between the takes.

The books aren't going to happen this year I'm afraid - hopefully Volume One will be out next year.

Chip Madinger

21. monkboughtlunch

Thanks Chip! Have you seen the footage of John from this shoot? Any idea why John's performance of "I'm Losing You" has never been released? Has Yoko ever given a reason for this?

So did the shoot begin Tuesday Aug. 19th and end the morning of Wednesday Aug. 20th? (Or did it begin on the 18th and end morning of 19th -- the slate from the A&E doc says "19th") Do any still photos exist from the day of the shoot? Was John wearing the country & western shirt and cowboy hat? Was he videotaped using a guitar during "I'm Losing You"? If so, which guitar was he using?

So Lennon only added his live vocal over a previously recorded backing track of I'm Losing You, correct? These weren't live takes by the band? I don't have the bootleg. So did they use the Cheap Trick backing track or the DF band backing track?

Also, I read this was a two camera shoot. So did Dubin record two camera angles simultaneously -- sending a dedicated feed from each camera to a separate dedicated 1" tape recorder (to enable editing the best angles in post production)? Or did Dubin edit the best shots "live" from the two camera angles and therefore record the video signal to only a single 1" tape recorder? Is it known how many takes of "I'm Losing You" Lennon performed?

Thanks!

22. lennonology

It was the 18th into the 19th, and I think you're going to have to wait for the books for the rest...

Chip Madinger

23. monkboughtlunch

If Volume 1 is out next year, does it cover the 1980 video shoot? Or will Double Fantasy info be in a subsequent volume? How many volumes are planned and which years do each volume cover?

24. lennonology

Volume One will be similar to Lewisohn's Chronicle, but covering all aspects of J&Ys life from 1966-1980. The heavy, Eight Arms-type detail will be in subsequent volumes.

Chip Madinger

25. monkboughtlunch

Jack Douglas stated Dubin was there for a week. Your thoughts on this? Maybe Jack incorrectly remembered the length of the one day shoot? http://web.archive.org/web/20080729224728/http://www.vintagebb.com/lennon.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.