Grateful Dead Warlocks Box and RT3-4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Phish, I too was drinking IPA when I listened to mine. :righton:

2. ron p

ron p Forum Resident

I was reading the thread about how awful Bob Weir is last week. Play the Bird Song on the first cd of this set. Weir's guitar work is just stunning to me. Weir, Garcia, Lesh and Billy K. all grow up and grow (somewhat) old together. The result is versions of songs like this 'Bird Song'. These guys are improvising like crazy, playing off each others ideas like nobody else. It's the Grateful Dead doing what they do, 25 years down the road.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Bob is justifiably excoriated for his latter-day 'rock-stsr' histrionics and the cruel and inhuman on the job slide training he subjected us to in the early 80's. But his rhythm playing is sublime and unique and he and Garcia evolved into a tandem that could never be replicated.

As much as I love Jerry, when I listen to The Garcia Band, by the third song, I am desperately craving Bobby.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My sets arrived and I've been groovin' big time.

I love this ROAD TRIPS.

And even though I thought I was burned out on '89 and '90 Dead 'cause there's been so much of it released lately, The Formerly The Warlocks CDs are loaded with unusually crisp performances. Good stuff.

BTW, I noticed recently that all the Grateful Dead's DVDs are out of print. So's the lone Jerry Garcia Band DVD (although it's still available at the GD Store). I wonder, what's up with that?

5. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Jonesin for my set to get here man....

6. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Thanks for the tip on the seal of this box set, I too prefer having the seal intact on the inside lid. I think Rhino did a great job on this one, they paid attention to detail. I don't mind spending a little extra for a nice package with great music. Speaking of music, the Dead were definitely firing on all cylinders during this run of show. :cheers:

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

and this is exactly what I did immediately after receiving and opening it today :righton:

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

FWIW, I sliced right through my sticker with a razor blade to get into the box.

And what a box it is!

I'm really diggin' the ROAD TRIPS set from 1980. I'd like to hear more "obscure" eras of the GD on CD ... like '82 to '85 ... and yes, even '91-'95 because even though Jerry was faltering, they were performing some really interesting new songs and cover versions. ROAD TRIPS is the perfect format for this stuff from that era 'cause they can cut out the bad stuff and leave the great stuff intact. There were some great moments in the final years, y'know. Just not many great shows.

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Just finished listen to the first night of Warlocks and that second set really smokes. But man couldn't somebody (Bobby & Brent I'm looking at you) throw Jerry a life preserver or a vocal cue or something on that Candyman. Gotta feel bad for the guy on that one.

onto the second night...

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I'm listening to disc five now. Sick.

11. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Just got the set today..The packaging gets an A+......

12. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

So far, I'm digging the mellowness of the latest Road Trips set. Trips being the operative word! The "Peggy-O" on disc one is smooth as silk and full of soul.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've been playing the FORMERLY THE WARLOCKS wooden boxed set for a while now and it's really a good couple of sets. Took a while to sink in -- I got kinda tired of the '89 and '90 shows becoming so prevalent -- but I'm grooving to it now.

Still loving the 1980 ROAD TRIPS set, too.

Too bad the new ROAD TRIPS is a 1969 show. I've come to the decision that 1971 and after are my personal favorite Dead years, although I love the 1970 studio albums, anything 1970 or previous to that I sometimes have a hard time getting into. I kinda wish the powers-that-be would put out some early-to-mid-'80s shows. I'd also be interested in a ROAD TRIPS compilation that covered the best of the '90s era, with all those new Vince Welnick-inspired cover tunes and the wealth of pretty great new material they played towards the end.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The '89 and '90 shows have been prevalent because they have multitracks of many shows from that era, I think.

For the early to mid 80's I think they only have two-tracks, some with mix problems.

The 90's songs were more or less covered on the last disc of So Many Roads, although, since that was a large set and might be hard to come by now, perhaps they will revisit it.

15. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

I recommend not to do this as I did the same thing but when I opened the lid, yesterday, I almost damaged the label because it had become partially loose from the bottom of the lid. Luckily, the sticker is still intact and it has only a very small wrinkle. I immediately had it laminated which turned out great.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I finally got this box set about a month ago and agree. I heard so much about 10/9, but I find myself playing the 10/8 show with more frequency. Great set.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I see that this set is still in stock at Dead.net. Is this set suppose to be a limited edition?

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I don't see anything on the site about Formerly The Warlocks being a limited edition, and don't remember it being advertised as such.

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Fantastic set

rstamberg and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't recall seeing anything about the Warlocks set being limited, but regardless, it is worth picking up sooner rather than later for anyone on the fence. Essential listening IMO.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks guys.

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I finally got off the fence and picked up the Warlocks box during the recent 20% off/free shipping sale. What a handsome-looking set! Can't wait to dig in.

23. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

You won't regret it!

24. Hogtown

Hogtown New Member

It has been killing me reading the 30 Trips thread. I simply could not layout the money for that box. So, pulled out the Formerly the Worlocks box and have really enjoyed it over the last couple of evenings. I haven't listened to any 89 or 90 shows in quite a while. Glad I have this box (and a few others).

I was listening to a number of 1973 shows last week, and what a contrast jumping to 1989.

rstamberg likes this.
  25. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.