Grateful Dead Warlocks Box and RT3-4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Still waiting for my package to arrive, of course, but at least I received a shipping notification.

What the hell is going on re: pitch problems with RTs 1.1 and 3.4?

I never noticed the pitch problem with the first ROAD TRIPS, so I'm gonna check that out. GDP didn't fix it? WTF? Is it really OOP?

What a drag.

I was looking forward to the new ROAD TRIPS 3.4 more than the FORMERLY THE WARLOCKS box (too much '89 for me this year). Now I'm bummin'. I'm not sure if I can "correct" the problem with my Denon player ... I've never had to before. Can anyone suggest the best way to "fix" the problem? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, the pitch is too slow? Make a CD-R copy using iTunes or Toast? As I mentioned, I've never had to pitch-correct a disc before ...

Damn those greedy bastards who decide what to release, etc. They're sloppy and lazy, too.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Assuming the pitch is off (I haven't heard either RT release) you would need to rip the CDs to your computer, download an audio editing program (there are some good ones out there that are free, or have long trial periods - Goldwave is one), correct the pitch on each song and burn a new CD with the corrected files.

I understand there are fixes "out there" too (already mentioned above?).

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

just got mine! will listen tonight hopefully.

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The pitch/speed error on the new RT is of similar magnitude to RT 1.1.

I quite prefer the speed-corrected SBD's of 11/5 & 11/6/79 to any of the AUDs I've heard (which would be all that have shnid's).

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

6. jlevine31

jlevine31 Forum Resident

Being a big fan of most of 79 and lots of early 80's, it really is a shame that the SBD's were recorded so generally shabbily. Even off of cassete masters which in theory should be pretty good, the mixes are often suboptimal with Bob and/or Jerry undermixed and with phil often missing.
    Ahhh what I would give to have reels or multitracks of 9-6-80.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I believe they were paying little attention to recording and often just taping the PA mix in this period (meaning that if the guitars were loud coming off the stage, they would be quiet on the tape).

8. jlevine31

jlevine31 Forum Resident

I'm not sure I follow? Aren't they just basically plugging into the sbd? Also, why do tapes from say 84 on typically have better mixes? Not sure if you know, but curious myself. It seems quite inconsistent.....look at the tapes that they released from the download series a few years back (9-3-80 and 9-4-80). The mix is great on those.

9. Well Wisher

Well Wisher Forum Resident

Is it just me or does it sound like Mickey and Bill were replaced by John Bonham and Keith Moon on the "Eyes of the World" in the Warlocks set?

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This is the first time I've really sat down and listened to the second set of 10/8/89 in its entirety. I've heard bits of it here and there, but to hear this in one sitting is overwhelming.

As "Help on the Way" kicks off for the first time since 1985, I too find myself on my feet, cheering wildly at the return of a song that I didn't even hear until 1993....

This Help>Slip>Frank is right up there among my favorites - 5/9/77, 10/9/76, 8/13/75.

"Franklin's Tower" - Brent is caught up in the celebration, chiming in on "listen to the music play", and from the last verse, "safely home". I don't think I ever heard him do that before.

This set is a joyous one. Even "Victim or the Crime" sounds celebratory here.

OMG, that intro to Miracle out of Space - it SMOKES!!!! (as does the rest of the song). The segue from "The Wheel" into "Gimmie Some Lovin'" is one of those "how'd they do that?" moments.

By the end of "Morning Dew" I am speechless.

Listen to the cheering after "We Bid You Goodnight". If I could go back in time and go to a Grateful Dead show, this would be one.

This box set captures the band at the foothills of greatness - a period of greatness that ended sadly in July 1990. Sure the engine sputters from time to time, but the band is at the top of their game, playing with consistence, confidence, fluidity, and a PURE JOY that I really don't hear much of in their music since 1977.

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I'm real excited to listen after reading this.

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

wow. Sure wish the thing would actually get here. Quite the review!

13. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Got a shipping notice over Labor Day Weekend that mine had shipped & it still hasn't shown up here in NC a week & a half later...

14. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

I was at the Alpine run where they broke out We Bid You Goodnight. I only made 10 GD shows total, but those 3 Alpine shows might be ranked #'s 1, 2 and 3, and were probably also worthy of a box set.

Don't forget the Death Don't Have No Mercy breakout at Shoreline immediately before the Warlocks shows, where Jerry, Brent & Bobby each took a verse...

15. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Haven't had a chance to listen on the home system yet, but I think the Warlocks set sounds pretty dang good on my headphones. Enjoyed 10-8 and the song selection, but 10-9 is by far the better played show.

If you want to do a direct comparision of mastering, the "Feel Like a Stranger" from 10-9 is also on "Without a Net".

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Probably a different mix as well as different mastering.

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Okay, I'm getting pretty impatient now ...

I can't stand reading about these sets while I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

I assume some of you who have your Dead sets also used the "free shipping" option, as did I. So where are my sets?

:realmad: USPS:realmad:

18. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I never use the free shipping anymore for the same reasons. I hated waiting for my stuff.

For 7 bucks I can get two day delivery. (9 bucks gets you overnight which is reasonable IMO) I don't like paying, but for me it's worth the money. I got my Warlocks box a week and a half ago using the overnight shipping. YMMV of course..

19. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Mike..You are a stud...Thank You

20. rgcoleman9

rgcoleman9 Member

Ha! Ha! Yes, the drums are way up front, which is a different perspective than the more "polite" sound of Jeffrey Norman's mixes. I would have liked more stereo separation and greater dynamic range, but overall, I like the way this sounds. It sounds much better than "Crimson, White & Indigo" imo.

21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Warlock and Road Trip was waiting at my door tonight. First observation - I have a CD bookcase with each shelf having about a 3/4" clearance above the CD. My Winterland boxes fit, but my Warlock box is too big. Would have prefered a regular box that fit. Oh well now to the music...

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I thought the same thing. "Eyes of the World" could have been retitled "Rhythm Devils Prelude".

23. phish

phish Jack Your Body

[​IMG]

i'm starting out on the second night. using some cd player i picked up at a gas station in italy, (trevi brand), an airhead headphone amp and some sennheiser hd 580's. sounds pretty good to me, but i don't break it down mix-wise like many of you do. i'm not sure i'm able/capable of doing that, so i have to go off what i hear and right now i feel like a stranger.....

24. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Not to get all nerdish-collector on you but...I will anyway. You can carefully peel the seal off the box and stick it on the bottom of the lid and keep in intact. I did! :righton:
    [​IMG]

25. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'm ok with how it is. i plan on keeping it forever and hopefully one of my children will dig it.

i feel ya though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.