Grateful Dead Warlocks Box and RT3-4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

To my ears CM's source(s) are better sounding if not a little low -- but that's fine. --- I tell you.... you don't need to turn this box set up full power. My ears got tired halfway thru the first disc.

2 things of note about the mixes to these ears (other than what I mentioned before) -- Listening to the first few songs on 10/8 set 1 - the vocals seem a bit buried unless its just Jerry fumbling on the verses and Bobby fumbling on "Walkin' Blues" -

and #2 When the band is really going, the drums IMO seem a little weak sounding (at least Billy's side) unless there's pretty good fills from Mickey Hart, or there are quieter parts of the song. A little more bottom from Phil but I found it a bit muffly - unless it was just the stereo I was using tonight.

On the way home tonight I listened to the "Post-Space" songs and I actually enjoyed them -- "Morning Dew" sounded nice. Levels still sound high to these ears (harsh)... and that they aren't as warm sounding as the previous releases I mentioned.

I think Norman's style is more "Brighter" and "Spacial" where this mix sounds like its all "clumped together" - especially during the louder parts of the song(s) It almost sounds as if I was listening to a Simulcast Radio Concert without the static. (sorry).

John Cutler - wonder what his take is on these mixes?

Like I said, to each his own....I'll leave it up to the audiophiles on their take of the set when they get it in the mail. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised/happy about the box itself. Very nice.

2. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

http://www.dead.net/features/gd-radio-hour/grateful-dead-hour-no-634

http://www.dead.net/features/interviews/mixing-and-mastering-dead-s-archives-jeffrey-norman

Above are links regarding Norman's process. I never had a problem with his work with the Dead. However, the Crimson release is pretty awful. It was the first time that I was pretty disappointed with one of their releases. At the time I only had enough funds to buy either the Crimson release or the Road Trips: Vol 3, Number 2: Austin, November 15, 1971. I chose the Crimson and missed out on the bonus disc of RT 3.2. :shake:

I probably will take a pass on the Warlocks box.

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Me, too ... and it's driving me crazy I haven't received 'em yet but others in the area have. Maybe I should've sprung for expedited shipping ...

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yes.. I went for overnight shipping for a little over $9.00 - otherwise it seems to take forever if you select the "free" shipping option.

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

In my experience (I've never done anything but standard shipping), I may wait 2-3 days longer to get recordings from 30+ years ago that are usually in my collection anyway (perhaps in slightly different quality).

6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems to be a common symptom. Impatiently waiting for newest Dead release while 435 other Dead discs are beconing for more play time:)

7. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Ain't it the truth?! :)

Got mine today. So far, I'm impressed with the Phil part of the audio spectrum on these recordings. Still working on Disc 1. Great box.

8. Still interested to find out, if someone could check their booklet, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

9. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

from the booklet:

Recorded by Dan Healy
    CD Mastering by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering, Petaluma, CA

10. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I put the "Formerly the Warlocks" box and new Road Trips on my birthday wishlist. I just hope they arrive by Sept. 20!

11. Thanks!

12. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I nominate the abrupt skid from "I Need A Miracle" into "The Wheel" on CD 3 as the clumsiest segue in the history of the band. Or as Bobby might say, "Like a Swiss watch!" :D:D:D

13. jlevine31

jlevine31 Forum Resident

The pitch on the new road trips is definitely slow which is not uncommon with cassete masters. I don't understand, however, why they don't correct this prior to releasing them.....it's so easy to do at this point. This was a problem with the first road trips (the 79 fall tour release) which I think caused them to withdraw it from general release. Any thoughts on why they don't correct this before? Just seems such a fundamental mistake to make:confused:
    Anyway, the playing is really good and for cassette masters I think the sound is pretty good (except for the aforementioned problem with tape speed).

14. jlevine31

jlevine31 Forum Resident

As far as my former comment, the first road trips (vol.1 no.1) appears to still be for sale on the dead's website. I stand corrected.

15. phish

phish Jack Your Body

still waiting on my warlocks box as well.

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This morning I got an email that my package has shipped.

This afternoon it was in my mailbox.

That was fast. :edthumbs:

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

yeah it was. i got my email about ten days ago and still no product.

18. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

The same here. I thought for sure I would have it by now.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Got mine.

Normally not a period I collect, but I'm giving it a shot.

I don't have real beefs with the sound, I have a suspicion the worst short-comings are just the basic sound of the recordings. I could be wrong.

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Being a 24 track, I was hoping the mix for the Hampton shows would have some spaciousness and depth, but no. Everything sounds smashed together, with very little dynamics.

I almost always enjoy the sound quality of Grateful Dead releases, but this one is a bit disappointing, though I'm only through D1 so far.

The music is nice though. I dig Weir's playing near the end of "Foolish Heart", and the spacey "Bird Song".

All that said, it's not unlistenable, and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest over the next couple days.

21. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

This new pitch problem is causing quite a stir in the community, and you're right...why on earth would they release something with a flaw that is such an obvious and easy fix ? Anyway, it was the 11/5/79 download that had the pitch problem. As with that release, the newest road trips will most certainly be available with the pitch corrected, but not officially.

They put out junk, and the fans have to fix it (again). I'm really beginning to prefer Charlie Miller releases over the official ones.

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The first Road Trips supposedly had a pitch problem, but it doesn't bother me. The pitch on this latest RT bothers me.

Thing is, even at the right speed, I'm not sure how often I'd play this. :shh:

As for 11/5/79, the soundboard mix sucks. The AUD is much better. IMHO of course.

23. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

You're so predictable (but then, so am I). :D :wave:

You're right about the mixes though. Once the 80's kicked in, the aud's tend to trump the sbd's.

24. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

listening to it now.. second night.
    enjoying this for the memories - sounds like '89 grateful dead to me.
    they had been tearing up the east coast sets. It seemed that each year was getting hotter.
    but in '89 they started to 'open the archives' onstage..
    i remember the Dupree's Diamond Blues coming out of nowhere in Ann Arbor,MI - kinda like, whoa, where did that come from?!
    then the Bid You Goodnight returning at the Alpine Valley run.. (what a week that was! The Who > GD (3nights) > Clapton/SRV)
    so here we are at Hampton after the Greek shows and Dark Star returns - the party is on.
    dunno, guess you had to be there.

I wouldnt buy this box looking for some amazing note or knob twisting.
    ..it was just a special collective moment in time and space.

25. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Well stated. I should mention that Dupree's wasn't really gone long...I saw in '86 at my first show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.