Grateful Dead Warlocks Box and RT3-4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I think these releases are, for the time being, Dead.net exclusives. Aren't the Road Trips always just a Dead.net exclusive and according to this link from Rhino it states the Warlocks release is a Dead.net exclusive:

http://media.rhino.com/release-info/formerly-warlocks-grateful-dead-hampton-va-oct-8-9-1989

2. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I love the music, but I don't like the packaging very much. This set should be housed in a six-disc fatboy jewel case (there really is such a thing), hold the excessive packaging materials please.

3. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Do you by chance have a link to the video? :help:

4. regal

regal Member

Does anyone have knowledge of this new Ratdog engineer? I mean lord knows Norman couldn't pull off a mixdown without screwing one of the band members but he was a good mastering engineer that didn't overuse digital compression/limiting. What should we expect from this new guy?

5. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

regal

Listen to "Crimson White and Indigo" that came out earlier this year and you be the judge.

6. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

What's your opinion of that release, please?

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm really looking forward to these releases, moreso than usual. I especially want to hear the ROAD TRIPS from 1980.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

9 CD's for $94 isn't too bad a deal.

I ordered mine today, finally. For some reason when I tried to order using Firefox, a message came up saying it's an unsafe site and then it kicked me out. It went through ok with IE.

Always an adventure in commerce with the Grateful Dead...

10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had the same problem with Chrome as well as Firefox and IE. I did not feel comfortable posting my credit info on an unsecured site. Wound up placing the order over the phone with Dead.net (18773323638).

11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I decided to spring for the combo and had the same problem with firefox, my preferred browser. I used IE without any issues also.:righton:

12. MikeT

My copy of the Warlocks (Dead) box and Road Trips Vol 3#4 shipped today. I believe I should have them in a day or so.

13. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I sprung for overnight shipping. I should have both sets tomorrow! Woo Hoo!

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Please post some reviews asap. I am on the fence with the Warlocks box. Not a big fan of that era, but the tracklisting and circumstances behind the performances look intriguing.

15. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

this was the first Hampton run I missed since 1985, my first ever shows...I was living in SF at the time, and diggin' the Dead in much better circumstances, like the Frost and The Greek...I heard about this and was bummed I missed it, but besides the Dark Star, this seems like a run of the mill show from the era, and in retrospect, I'm glad I moved out West, where the vibes were way cooler than East Coast tours.........

16. MikeT

My Dead (Warlocks) package showed up about 20 minutes ago. First to the packaging of the Warlocks box - NICE. I can see why they are probably charging what they are for this package.

The box is a nice wooden cigar box, complete with "tax stamp" - which I hated to cut to open the box (but was necessary). The printing on the box was pressed into the wood cover, as well as in the bottom of the box inside. In addition to the 6 discs and their thin cardboard covers, there was a button with the pumpkin dead design.. two tickets (which were ripped on each end like I had actually attended the show and they had to rip the end off) one for each show.. a picture of the road leading up to the Hampton Coliseum with a line of cars and people heading to show (I presume).. liner notes which are actually printed on the back of a set of postcard like pictures of the band from the shows.. a Charlotte Observer newspaper reprint from 10/22/89 from the Entertainment section with an article called "Living with The Dead".. The Grateful Dead mailing you would receive with your mail order tickets giving you information about the show and what is and what isn't allowed, with important area phone numbers etc (anyone who ever got Dead Mailorder tickets will know what this is).. and lastly a postcard of the Hampton Coliseum with the set-list from the show written on it (not sure if this is a real artifact or one made up just for this box).

Well that's it.. Now I just have to start listening.

17. MikeT

I am not sure this was mentioned, but the new Road Trips mixes songs from Penn State 5/6 with Cornell 5/7 to create a first set. Then each second set, minus the encores, seems to be intact.

The Jack Straw, Cassidy and Row Jimmy on the first disc come from Cornell and are placed where they might have occurred in the first set from Penn State. What they did was remove a few songs from the Penn State first set to fit in the Cornell songs from the first set, to make (I guess) a more cohesive first set. Not a problem, just didn't notice anyone mentioning it here in this thread.

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I don't think the Dark Star from 10/9 was all that fantastic, but the crowd reaction makes it fun to hear. The Playin>UJB>Playin that preceded it was very good though. The Dark Stars from 10/16 and 10/26 were better.

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Got mine today, nice packaging, great shows that I'm pretty familiar with. 10/8 gets overshadowed by the next night IMO...I like it as much as 10/9. I'm happy to have these as the band was in a good place at this time. Brent pushed them and I love the MIDI effects Jerry used during this era. Gotta love all the classic songs they brought back during these two shows.

I'm not a huge fan of 10/16, but I agree with Mike that the Miami 10/26 Dark Star is THE one. It's downright scary. That whole 2nd set on 10/26 is fantastic. The first set is nothing special though.

OK, now that Hampton 89' is out of the way bring on Feb. 74 Winterland! :)

20. regal

regal Member

how is the mix and mastering ?

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread...The 10/9 version is notable for the angry jam between the second verse and Drums. The 10/16 is a calmer one.

If you have the Infrared Roses release, the track "Magnesium Night Light" is a sort of Readers Digest version of the 10/9 Dark Star.

22. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

After listening to the new Warlocks box set -- I must say that I appreciate Jeff Norman much better....

Sounds like I'm listening to the show on the radio. -- the sound is too much "in your face" or "Harsh" -- and not the somewhat "bright" and "warm" sounding mixes that Jeff Norman used to do. IOW - if your looking for the nice sound that was on "Without A Net" or "Dozin'...." or even something like the July 4th 1989 performance ("Truckin' Up To Buffalo" I think the title is)..... you won't hear it here.

If you didn't care for the mixes on "Crimson White and Indigo" - you might be in for a dissapointment.

Packaging though is very nice.

23. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

"Nightfall of Diamonds" is another example that was released around this time-period. (10/16/89) --- sounds better than the new Warlocks box.

24. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Oh, no!!! 'Net' has always had a special place in the ears for me. I love the way it sounds. Oh, well :-/

25. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Any mention of multi-track in the credits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.