Grateful Dead Warlocks Box and RT3-4

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before, the 2-CD Road Trips releases had a bonus disc (= 3 CD) and sold for $19.98.

Then came the first 3-CD Road Trips release with a bonus disc (= 4 CD) for $23.98.

Now we get a 3-CD Road Trips without bonus disc (= 3 CD) for $23.98.

That does not seem right to me.

Shipping cost has also been quite expensive lately...

I have bought every single Road Trips release so far and have every bonus disc. I would have pre-ordered this new release if it did have a bonus disc but now I am just going to wait and I can order it at a later point in time, maybe together with the next release (which hopefully will contain a bonus disc again) and save on shipping and maybe have a better exchange rate (the Euro just dropped in value compared to the US$).

Some people didn't like the bonus disc concept, and now this is what we are getting.

To be honest, I'd rather have the same amount of music for $19.98 and also a limited release which will hold its value if I ever decide to sell it than this.

2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Now watch them reissue the complete Fillmore box next month.I`d like to order the`89 shows but there`s too many other things I have to buy this fall already,although I probably would jump at a complete Winterland`74.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

He he. Maybe or something of such similar caliber. I can't blame The Dead for wanting to break it up a bit with some more recent shows. Why would they put out all the classic era stuff first?

4. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I tried to resist. But I pre-ordered. I'm hopeless, I guess!

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Don't worry ... that's what I meant. :righton: :wave:

6. phish

phish Jack Your Body

thanks!

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Don't know if it's true or a rumor, but I read on one of the Grateful Dead forums last night that there will be no more bonus discs as such. If there's an "extra" CD, it'll simply be incorporated into the set. Don't know why that decision has apparently been made. Anyone here know more?

8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

There is a vocal subset that HATE the pre order bonus disc dealio in that it has an exclusivity that undercuts the needs and wants of the majority.

I like bonus stuff..snooze, ya' lose, but the GD powers that be can be sometimes be ridiculously democratic.

9. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

+1

When I saw this was from 1989, I lost interest pretty quickly....

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

totally unfamiliar with the show... never heard it happened. the tracklist looks stunning.

insight as to why the 1989 turned you off, if possible?

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad to help.

13. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

Bought both of them last night after looking on their website. (I rarely look at my e-mail btw).

I've heard the Hampton '89 shows but I've never heard the 1980 shows.... So I'm looking forward to the RTs.

14. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Regarding bonus discs, I think they should be included in any repressings, with the price point adjusted approriately.

The only people who make out on them now are Amazon & eBay resellers.

15. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'm partial to early Dead, pre-1971....later stuff like this sounds, well, um, kind of "polite" by comparison...

YMMV, of course...

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Figured this would turn into another typical "1989" Dead thread.

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i'm all over the map with them really, but understand where you are coming from.

18. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I have pre-ordered both. Now all we need is a great new Pure Jerry release!

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Well shipping is free if you buy both at the same time (but that is for standard shipping only).

I suspect Bobby is getting back at the fans for the "debacle" at Nokia Theater last month... where some report that he was potentially "dosed" at the July 28th show.

Just joking, even though something was amiss with Bobby that night, from all reports.

I wonder why prices are going up in this economy instead of coming down or at least staying "flat"?

20. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Saw the Youtube clip of that Nokia show. yeah, he was out of it (for whatever reason) in the first set, Looked llike he was able to pull it together for the second set tho.

21. John D.

John D. Senior Member

It would be interesting to know who has control over price structure, the Dead or Rhino?

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Sadly only for a part of this world called USA :)

23. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

So for people outside the US there is zero incentive to pre-order these discs. I think I'll just get them from amazon.ca as it is usually the same price or cheaper but I can at least get free shipping.

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Rhino.

25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Rhino's boutique price structure has prevented me from buying some wanted releases lately, for example, Vanilla Fudge, Delaney & Bonnie. Eighty Dollars and up for four cds. :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.