Grateful Dead-Road Trips: Volume 3, Number 2-November 15, 1971

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dcscott, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy Thread Starter

:agree: What bugs me about Dead.net is that customers outside the US can not purchase downloadable FLACS from their site. BOO!:realmad:

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Dick preferred complete shows if the shows themselves were worth it. He liked adding filler pieces to round out CD's, because often there were just parts of shows he liked (like anyone else, I would think). He was certainly not compulsive about wanting only complete shows released, and even at the end was happy enough to get any project approved and released. There was never really an end to the oversight by Cutler and Phil, but it did lessen somewhat as time went on.

The idea of compilations for DP12 and DP 14, for instance, was definitely Dick's.

3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I dunno, I think it costs less than half that, the rest is pure profit. Amazon.com (US) to UK addresses charge $3.99 standard and $6.99 expedited. How can deadnet charge twice that and keep a straight face?

4. JayB

JayB Senior Member

And I think we have a certain friend here to thank for the killer 12/30/77 "filler" on DP10..;)

I like both DP12 and 14 a lot, and think they're fine (and actually work well) as compilations.

5. honkymagic

honkymagic Forum Resident

I love that filler on DP10! It might, actually, be that filler that got me into the GD. That jam after Eyes of the World is lovely, just lovely.

All of 12/29's second set helped, too. Probably my favorite 1977 "Not Fade Away." And I love how the Playing jam almost hits The Wheel, then backs off to make room for China Cat.

And the first set, too, for that matter.

But, damn, I love that filler.

6. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I LOVE DP 10 as well. It also has one of, if not the best 1st set of the year! (from 12/29)

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Amazon US charge me $6.48 for standard shipping to the UK. Am I doing something wrong?

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

no, you're right, I'm wrong - forgot to add the "per item" charge. Amazon still charge half what deadnet are charging, though.

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Completely agree about their rip-off shipping. It's what's stopped me from going for this latest Road Trips release (so far, at least).

10. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

I know that I'm always railing against them for putting out partial shows/comps, so I am very happy about this release. I'm also very excited about the bonus disc. Listening to the show from the 14th makes me wish that they could have made this a 4 disc set, though. The show from the 14th is very solid and deserves the release.

Yah, I know, I'm never satisfied. :angel:

11. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Anyone know when this will ship? I ordered last week and have heard nothing. Thanks.

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

+1

13. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Never satisfied Mike..:>)

15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Anybody get theirs yet? :D

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Same here. I got an order confirmation, but nothing else.....yet.

"Thank you for ordering from Dead.net. Your order is currently being processed, and you will receive an email confirmation as soon as your order leaves our warehouse."

17. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I emailed Grateful Dead Customer service yesterday and got a reply, same day. I splurged for overnight shipping (it was just a few dollars more) and they sent me my UPS Tracking Number stating my Road Trips shipped yesterday and would arrive TODAY! :goodie:

I'm not sure why they don't just automate an email with shipping information when your order ships, regardless of what delivery method you choose. :confused:

18. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I did the overnight as well, ($4 for regular vs. $9 for overnight a no-brainer for me) so maybe mine will arrive as well...

I hope as I'm home today!

19. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Well speak of the devil it just arrived!

Gonna be a good afternoon, the wife's at work and kids don't get home until 3:30...:goodie::goodie::goodie:

20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Thanks for the updates on deliveries. Glad to hear these are being sent out. I went with standard shipping - so maybe by the the end of the week for me?

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I checked my mail today. Didn't see it. I wish I had a tracking number so I could post it here, but I just went with regular shipping.

I'll check back in tomorrow with an update.

22. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I have'nt bought a Grateful dead mail order cd in awhile. I ordered this one and Dick's picks vol 2 (seemed like they would make a nice pair). I have noticed Amazon marketplace and ebay sellers monging bonus disc editions of anything GD, so I'd suggest to order promptly if you want the extra material.

23. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Great jam in the 2nd half of the "Dark Star"!

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I remember my DP 2 showed up in the mail the day I left to go see the Dead in Chicago in July 95. I held everyone up for an hour so I could record it to a cassette for playing in the car. Dark Star from that set is wonderful but for me the big highlight is NFA>GDTRFB>NFA, particularly the jam back into NFA. Stunning!

25. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Very good call! :righton:

Those two shows are very complementary - even more so, when you consider that the major source of 11/15/71 for most Deadheads for several years was the "One Disc Wonder" that David Gans put into circulation, which had the Dark Star sequence from Set 1, and the NFA sequence from Set 2. One was the mirror of the other and you could get very, very lost in either...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.