Grateful Dead - reviews of official live and Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highway

highway Forum Resident

Coincidence: I consulted this thread today when I came across a grateful dead CD in a store and then a giant leech bumped the thread.

2. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

I just have the Golden/Beyond Boxes.
    I'm kinda scared to go deeper. There is sooo much & though I love the live material on those boxes, I don't know if I could ever be that hardcore.
    I'm interested in the Live material that is good sound quality & when they were playing their tightest.
    any recommendations?

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Well, since you already have the 2 boxes, you have Live Dead, Skull/Roses, E72, Reckoning, and Dead Set for a basic cross section of live stuff. Id supplement that with Without a Net to get you a taste of the latter era sound. The eras covered by theses releases cover a lot of ground. Was there an era that jumped out at you? Once you pick an era, start looking at the dates. IE: if you really liked Skull/Roses or E72, then there is the Ladies/Gentlemen release from the Fillmore 71 or Steppin' Out or even a second E72 release. The bonus material on the cds from the boxes will also I've you a taste of the era, live stuff in most cases and give you an idea of what to expect if you pick up something from one of those years. The years 69, 71, 72, 77, and 89/90 get a lot of praise here for the "tight" playing altho there is a lot sprinkled throughout.

4. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

I play Skull and Roses a lot its one of my favorite albums.
    sometimes I forget its live.

5. Blackhorse

Blackhorse Member

Two missing> Live at the Cow Palace (76) and Crimson, Indigo and Blue (89). Re Cow, the first set is so-so, the 2nd set cooks. Re Crimson, a fair of the later Brent era. Highlights include Iko, Scarlet B, Standing on the Moon and Knocking. What can say, it was a Jerry kind of night.

highway and Erik B. like this.
  6. Blackhorse

Blackhorse Member

re Hundred Year Hall. It's fine one its own; with the 'outtakes' from Europe 72 Vol 9, it's a powerhouse (Mr Charlie, BT-Wind, Loser. GSET etc; unfortunately, cant get Good Lovin as a single download).

footlooseman likes this.
  7. Blackhorse

Blackhorse Member

Another overlooked (and not always appreciated) multi-tack set: Three from the Vault (February 1971). As many here know, this is the first show after Mickey Hart left the band. Rather than putting their heads down, they pushed ahead. The set is more song-oriented than 69-70; without Hart, the sound is leaner, muscular. Kreutzmann plays like a man unchained and everyone else falls in behind. Some good blues by Ron. More trad in feel than the 68-69 rave-ups. There is a nice segue from an embryonic Playing to Spoonful (awesome sustained groove) to the China/Rider intro. Solid versions of Bird Song and Easy Wind are yet to come. Not their most exploratory stuff, sure, but a nice preview of their music for next three years. Good playing, good sound, historic moment. A worthy alternative for those who might find Ladies and Gents overwhelming or Skull**** lacking.

ARK and highway like this.
  8. Blackhorse

Blackhorse Member

Had a chance to listen to Europe 72 Vol 2. I like this set a lot. Unlike the original E72, this one has the feel of a show, even though it is comprised of selections. Like 100 Yr Hall, it kicks off with high energy versions of Bertha and MAMU. The first set includes a taste Sugaree, a tight Next Time You See Me and a rocking Good Lovin. The Dark Star included here is more compact and jazzy that the titanic version on Rokcin the Rhine. Works for Me. The Other One is uptempo, akin to SkullnRoses, not as exploratory as 100 Yr Hall. MMV on this one. The set ends in glorious fashion, though, with a heartfelt Sing me Back Home and the full Fade-Road-Fade sandwich. The licks on the later include the kid of melodic runs that made the SR version a long-time fav; nice to hear them in the full medley. This set may not satisfy those who prefer full shows, but it is well played and well paced. A fuller meal than Hall, more compact the Rhein.

highway likes this.
  9. Blackhorse

Blackhorse Member

And another official release to report on: 8/27/1972, Springfield Creamery Benefit at Ye Old Renaissance Fairgrounds in Veneta Ore. Despite the heat and the outdoor setting, the Dead put on a tremendous show. Organic song-to-song flow from the opening notes of Promised Land to the last chords of OMSN. Even the (sometimes criticized) DA>El Paso segue works for me---a break in The Drama. Great takes on China-Rider, Birdsong, Jackstraw, DS. And a stunning Sing Me Back Home (Donna soul, not siren). All in clear 16-track sound. Top of my list for the fall 72 official releases and up there with the cream of the Euro tour.

notesofachord and MikeP5877 like this.
  10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Creamery is a great sounding release, but I still find myself heading back to the "source" tapes for all the between song chat and other goings on.........

Philip

psubliminal likes this.
  11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Winterland `74 Grateful Dead Movie SMOKES!
    Really what don`t you guys not like about this one?

12. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

I am looking to buy the Greatful Dead movie soundtrack 5cd set. Great info on this thread !

highway likes this.
  13. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Listening to Red Rocks 7/8/78 the first 2 discs so far. I really like it. Just bought this a few days ago. Really nice sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.