Grateful Dead - reviews of official live and Vault releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeP5877, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serge

serge Forum Resident

Hundred YEar Hall is five stars..

Blackhorse likes this.
  2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Good stuff,I played that spacey Hundred year hall disc #2 so many times.
    Wasn`t the Eyes Of The World multitracks cut up for editing the movie and the long version is the rough mixdown?That version should be tacked on as a bonus track just for all the people who never heard it.

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I nominate TWO FROM THE VAULT (recorded in 1968 at the Shrine Aud., L.A., CA) for "Best Liner Notes - Technical Information" category on a Grateful Dead live archival release:

Blackhorse likes this.
  4. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

The issue here is that the multi-track masters were edited, when the Grateful Dead Movie was prepared - the version on So Many Roads was a rough mix made in the 1970's BEFORE it was edited, whilst the GDM Soundtrack version is a fresh mix from the edited master tape.

I can't recall seeing anything explicitly about it (I'm at work, so can't check the booklets on the relevant releases), but the inference from that is that the removed portion (one of the verses and some of the intra-verse soloing)has been lost forever. :cry:

5. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Been listening to samples of GD Movie Soundtrack....I might have to pick this up! Even through the little amazon samples you can hear amazing the sound is! Wish they sold more DP's on Amazon, I have a nice gift card to spend there.

6. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Gotta love '74. :love:

7. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

'74 never clicked with me until I got the Wall of Sound Road Trips which is simply killer material. I had had DP 31 for some time but never truly appreciated it until re-listening after hearing RT 74. Of course, I have always known that the material on the GD Movie DVD was something special especially the bonus disc. I often put that on when people come over for some nice audio/visual background.

8. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

The GD movie soundtrack is essential if you enjoyed the movie. For some reason I think the DVD is now out of print.

9. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

The SQ on the Soundtrack is fantastic... you won't regret picking it up. :thumbsup:

10. Are you still planning to post an updated list? I was really looking forward to this one.

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member Thread Starter

It's been pretty hectic lately so I haven't had a chance to update this yet. Will do soon though.

12. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Really looking forward to this! Especially your thoughts on all the Road Trips! No pressure though!:righton:

13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Same here. This thread and the other thread on the DP series have been very helpful to me in deciding what to pick up. :wave:

14. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Very nice rundown. I'm partial to 5-2-70, with One From the Vault not far behind.

15. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I may be reading the precise meaning of the above incorrectly, but it's important to note that the vast majority of the shows that Betty Cantor-Jackson recorded between 1971 and 1979 were NOT multi-tracked - it gets confusing, because Betty was often behind the desk when the Dead were making multi's (such as the Skull**** shows of '71 and Europe '72), but when people refer to "Betty Boards", we're referring explicitly to the 2-track reel recordings she made, which were sometimes done parallel to multi-tracking, but just as often were the only recordings made of the shows.

In particular, ALL of the recordings she made in 1977 (with the exception of Englishtown 9/3/77, which was captured on multi-track) are nothing more than stereo, mixed on the fly and captured in astonishing sound quality on 2-track reels.

For all their (occasionally deserved) reputation as laid-back hippies, the Dead had great equipment and even better crew for their live shows in that period and it really shows in the recordings we've got.

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

But they blew it at the mixing board adding that wonky reverb to the vocals on much of the spring '77 tour.

17. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, but do you guys think a 1967 show will ever get an official release? I've noticed that there aren't that many that circulate. Are there more in that vault that aren't circulated? I'd like to see an uncirculated show (from say the Fillmore or Avalon) from early to mid 1967 get released.

18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I had the same thought recently--I'd love to see a '67 show released officially.

19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

aside from the 2/14/68 carousel show that was released, some portions of anthem were recorded at the shrine in l.a. in 11/67 along with 1-2/68 shows from the great northwest tour. those 11/67 shows are multitracks and what goes around is excellent. monterey will probably never see official release. maybe the 3/18/67 could be considered with tracks from 8/67 toronto for filler.

20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

not totally up to date but a very good reference. my old friend ted was keeping up on the early stuff there for a long time.

http://www.deadlists.com/default.asp

21. That would be great, thank you! Your threads have been very helpful so far.

22. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I had'nt heard that she used a reverb device at the board, are you sure? I thought for some of these she mixed line and mic feeds to give more of a live hall sound, at least I remember reading that in an interview with her a long time ago. Barton is a very echoey hall- I don't hear a lot of reverb on the vocals here:
    http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-05-08.sbd.cantor.sacks.266.shnf

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Betty made her own stereo mix on a separate feed from the house P.A. mix, but she may not have been responsible for adding the reverb to the vocals, which you clearly can hear. Maybe Healey, since he mixed the house sound? Anyways, there's a moment in "Loser", I think, where the reverb is off briefly, and you can hear the clean mix. I think the Palladium shows from a week or so before are clean, if I remember. Some folks like that sound, and maybe they were going for a room-tone sound on the soundboard recordings.

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

They wuz hungry freeks, daddy! Staging shootouts during photog sessions that made the heavy black arts magicianmusician, Jimmy Page, cringe in terror.
    Mickey Hart stated that when he first heard the word, "hippie" he immediately thought.."well, that doesn't sound too good."
    The Grateful Dead were Cowboys AND Indians as well as techno space pilots to the cosmic chakra.
    [​IMG]

25. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Thanks for the link! I really like the 1967 shows I've heard. They have a combination of the 1966 keyboard sound, and the 1968 extended guitar based sound. I agree that the 3-18-1967 Winterland show (with Toronto filler) would make for a good Dicks Picks release, as well as the November Shrine shows. To bad they did not allow for the Viola Lee Blues Monterey clip to be used on the Criterion Collection Box set. Even though the middle is cut, I think it's pretty good.

Is the reason that there where not that many 1967 shows recorded due to Owsley leaving, or where they lost over the years? Bear recorded most of the 1966 shows while he was their soundman if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a soundman from one of the Ballroom/club venues has some tapes that the band don't have (I've heard that's the case with a few bands, the Doors in particular). Also, hopefully a new 1967 recording might be discovered and leak out of the blue one day. I really liked the Vancouver 1966 shows that became available around five/ten years ago, so who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.