Grateful Dead From The Mars Hotel 50th - 3CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lands End Drums, Mar 26, 2024.

1. BuffaloDead

BuffaloDead Forum Resident

I'm finding the following two codes will stack. CC24WMX15 & BDAY24Dead. Total still comes out to be $36.17 for me, which still beats Amazon which is totaling $38.04. I thought one of the codes used to remove the shipping cost, anyone know if that's still available? I'll likely cave at some point.

2. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

I agree 100%. Another missed opportunity by management. They should be putting demos and alternate takes only on these sets. I am so over the tacked on live tracks/shows on these releases.

Another easy skip for me since I doubt the mastering will be able to beat silver MFSL CD.

It was nice to see them finally hype up Keith for once though. I always felt this was studio album that captured what he brought to the band best.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

You are talking about the "Angel's Share" releases that are still digitally available. And they are available HD. There used to be an even more comprehensive regular flac version for American Beauty -- I'm not sure it is still available -- but the one disc version definitely is. And you don't have to buy the album again to get it, if you are just interested in the session tapes.

Really, I don't think there is a basis for complaint here. The same think may well happen for Mars Hotel.

ARK, sparkmeister and mpw362d like this.
  4. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I see. You’re getting the 3CD. I got the LP. I’ll wait to get the 3CD from Amazon or my local. Wouldn’t buy from Dead.net either. Too expensive.

Jerry likes this.
  5. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm in for the cd set.

6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

How did you "stack"? I put in the first discount code, it worked, then I went back and added the second and that one was rejected. How did you do this? Thank you for sharing.

7. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

The three Angel’s Shares are great. I wish they’d done one for Aoxomoxoa.

xj32 likes this.
  8. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Mars Hotel was my way into the Grateful Dead, and the new release has a 1974 concert...so I will purchase this.

jumpinjulian and acetboy like this.
  9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Already ordered!

acetboy likes this.
  10. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Rhino know they can shift several thousand of any live Dead release. I’d be surprised is the interest in studio outtakes would come anywhere close in terms of sales.

frightwigwam likes this.
  11. BuffaloDead

For me it was an easy as just entering two codes, they both worked when I tested it out. I was going to suggest you try and switch up the order in which you enter them, but it looks like the cd is no longer available at dead.net

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Up and running now, but I cannot log on to my account. Perhaps (and I know this is hard to believe) but maybe a site problem at dead.net.

13. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

Looks like it’s sold out on dead net now. Didn’t think this would sellout so quick

14. BuffaloDead

I have had that issue numerous times. Perhaps there are other work arounds, but this has always been successful for me...find an old order email from dead.net, click on the order number, this will take you to a login screen...username and password has always worked for me at that stage, while it almost never works from the homepage. Hope this helps.

15. BuffaloDead

It's back.

Muffinbutt likes this.
  16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So why not release a standalone ’74 show in that case? It puzzles me that they’re so averse to coupling studio with studio, even though the material clearly exists.

E_Braunn_Fan and Crush87 like this.
  17. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I guess they feel it wouldn’t sell as well. I wouldn’t buy an outtakes set, but I’ll happily buy this package with the live show.

frightwigwam and seaisletim like this.
  18. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Why not both outtakes and live?

E_Braunn_Fan and Wright like this.
  19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Why do fans have such tunnel vision with the live stuff?

Think about how many live shows you have (hundreds) vs how many full demo tapes Jerry made behind his home, overdubbing multiple instruments (zero).

E_Braunn_Fan and John Porcellino like this.
  20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

well, sure, but these are marketed towards a larger audience, and a 4CD set is much harder to move than 3CD. As it is, 3CD is difficult enough I'm sure

21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Wonder if they have done any market research. Studio outtakes as bonus tracks for new reissues is such an established practice for other artists. It’s odd that we got more studio stuff for the previous reissue of the album. I don’t think that relese sold poorly.

22. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

I normally am very happy with a few extra demos and out-takes plus a live show (unless it's that underwhelming Port Chester 71 run) altho' this time there's plenty of room on cd1 for all the unreleased Jan 73 Jerry demos not just two. But for next year I want someone checking out all the Ace's Allah tapes especially including the Crosby stuff for a mega Allah release as next year's box with a smaller highlights set for the gen public's Allah 50 release.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  23. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Fill up the 35 minutes or so at the end of the main disc.

24. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

Indeed, it fits! What I really don't get is the Row Jimmy. Loads of fragments on the Wake Deadcast from which you can almost but not quite piece together the full take. We need an Angel's Share or whatever of that demo tape. The new Deadcast confirms that the Wave That Flag demo on Mars 50 is from that Jan 73 tape so it would be a surprise if China Doll wasn't too.

25. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm sure I'll buy this because I don't have any live 1974 yet. Is it any good? :D