Grateful Dead 1969 Fillmore West Boxset coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cvila, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

STILL WAITING!!! This is torture.

No box and no help yet from GDstore.com. I called yesterday and they told me to call back at the end of this week and they will see what they can do for me. I asked if they would be able to replace the box if the one I was supposed to receive was lost in the mail. The guy on the phone thought that would be possible.

I am still a bit perplexed by this, since other items that shipped from other on-line retailers after 11/15, even some that went media mail have arrived safe and sound. The one thing I am looking forward to the most - NADA.

Let's hope that when/if GDStore.com has to re-ship me a box (if that is possible) I get #1 out of 10,000 (that would only be fair I think).

Again, anyone else here still waiting for their box to arrive????

2. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I'll be there 12-10 too :)

In nosebleed :( A far cry from my 2002 front row. My Warehouse tiks came in today.

3. MikeT

My warehouse tickets came also. Not as good as one would expect after being a fan club member for years and paying the yearly price: Rear view in section 317. Whatever - at least I am in and hopefully there won't be that much stuff bordering the stage that would block my view.

4. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

Mike, I feel for you. I just received mine today (Canada). This has been one of the fastest delivered releases I have received for GDM. The wait will be worth it, Mike. Good Luck :thumbsup:

5. MikeT

My box set arrived, or how the Postal Service almost did me in!

Well the torture of waiting is over. Box set #6417 arrived in excellent shape.

It appears that the GDstore.com is not to blame for this one at all, but the blame all belongs to the USPS (and myself for not going with a shipment which requires a tracking number).

As I stated before, nothing from the GDstore.com has ever taken more than 4 or 5 days to reach me, so I expected the box on either 11/18 or 11/19. When it didn't show on 11/18, I figured the next day was golden. 11/19 was a Saturday and my family and I went to the Woodbury Commons Outlet mall to do some XMAS shopping. I left a note in my mailbox that if the box were to come and require a signature, please accept the note as my official signature and leave the box. When we got home that evening, no box.

I may have mentioned that I called the Post Office in my town twice, on separate occasions, to see if they may have received a box I was required to sign for. Both times I was told nothing was received - sorry.

Well today, I just happened to be home from work sick (sore throat, headache, congestion, achy feeling in my body) and the mailperson shows up at around 2:15pm (as I was headed out to the doctor to ensure I didn't have strep throat - since my wife just got over a case) with my box in her hand. I was happy.

It was at that time she went on to explain that the box was on her desk this morning because she thought I called to have it re-delivered. I told her that no, but I was waiting for this specific item to show up for at least 2 weeks. She then told me it was originally out for delivery on 11/19 (that Sat where I left my note), and it was at the post office the whole time waiting for me to pick it up and sign for it. I told her that a note was never left in our box or at our door indicating that delivery was attempted on this package. She also told me that she was off that Saturday and delivery was attempted by another mailperson. Anyway, I signed for the package and thanked her very much.

I then called the post office to complain. I told them about the note I left and the fact that the package was supposed to be delivered on 11/19 and I never got a delivery slip telling me to go to the post office to pick-up and sign for the box. I also told them that I called two times subsequent to 11/19 and both times I was told that there was nothing there for me to pick-up or sign for. The person at the P.O. then went to see who might have delivered the box on 11/19 and I was told that the person was very new and probably forgot to leave me a notification as required. I was also told that it was quite possible that the box was never placed back where it should have been, because it is not the post office's policy to re-deliver a "Delivery Confirmation" only item without a request. I was told that Delivery Confirmation is no different than regular mail, and that it will merely sit in the P.O. indefinitely waiting for the person it was addressed to to pick it up (once the initial delivery attempt and notification (which I never got) was made). The fact that it was re-delivered without me calling led the postmaster at the P.O. to believe it may have been found in the post office in a spot it should not have been.

Needless to say the person who attempted to deliver the box to me on 11/19 is going to be talked to by the postmaster of my town's post office. They profusely apologized for the mix-up and I understood, even though I wasn't happy, about the fact that my box was misplaced and no notification of delivery was left because the mailperson was very new to his job. Yes he should have done his job correctly, but mistakes happen (unfortunately to me and this highly coveted box set).

Regardless, I now have my box and I don't have to keep calling GDstore.com to hope they can make things right for me (as it was never their fault to begin with).

Ah, life, it never is a straight, clear highway, is it? It is definitely full of bumps and turns that challenge us in many ways. Now it is time to be challenged by the music from "Fillmore West 1969 The Complete Recordings! :goodie: :nauga: :edthumbs:

6. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

Mike,

Glad you got your box set. :) :)
    Sorry to hear about all your hassles, but all's well that ends well.

Enjoy!! :D
    Paul

7. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Hello, I've just returned home after being away for a couple weeks and found #5930 waiting for me :thumbsup:

8. MikeT

The quality of this box set is amazing. The sonics are unbelievable. I am listening to the box in order, by show. I just finished listening to 2/28/69 in it's entirety - has to be one of the most musically satisfying and well paced Dead shows I have ever heard. The second set of this show is a mindbender, where the pacing and flow of the show from the beginning of Cryptical to the last notes of Bid You Goodnight (even though this song is marred by some "electronic mice") is perfect. I am still vibrating from the near 3 hours that went by listening to this show from start to end. Can't wait to get to 3/1 and 3/2. WHOA!

9. cvila

cvila Senior Member Thread Starter

How about the full transition from "Mountains of the Moon" to "Dark Star" from 02/27? I've always loved the intro to "Dark Star" on Live/Dead and the extra couple of minutes of acoustic guitar is just sublime.

10. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I was just listening to this show last night. Incredible stuff! The "electronic mice" remark was indicative of a time when the music and musicianship over-rode the technical aspects. It's like listening to one of Van Gough's early paintings.

11. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

I have really been enjoying this as well. Sounds great at home with my HDCD-capable CD player. This box set is a real treasure.

12. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I can't wait for Christmas. My copy is calling to me from under the tree...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.