Grand Funk & Asia Delayed??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Masmusic, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I received my Grand Funk and Asis CD yesterday.

I want to let everybody know that the Grand Fuk is HDCD encoded even though it does not say so on the label. The slipcase has the HDCD logo but the disc does not. I was in contact with Marshall Blonstein yesterday and he said that Capitol would not let them put the HDCD logo on the label.

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

That is just so weird it beggars belief. :sigh:

3. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

does American band come with a slim jewel case and mini lp cover similar to Never A Dull Moment, or is there just glossy gold finish on the cover pannel of the booklet?

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How does the Asis sound? :help:

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sounds good, as-is. ;)

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It comes in a regular jewel case inside an O-card and the tri-fold booklet indeed has a special gold foil paper. Oh yeah, it's folded so that the front cover is not the front cover; Suffice to say that all copies were folded incorrectly with the middle panel on the front. You'll see what I mean when you get it ... (they're ALL folded this way).

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's in a regular jewel case and the booklet has the shiny gold cover. Unfortunately, the booklet with all copies shipped so far is misfolded. The picture of the band is the cover and the gold sections are inside. :(

8. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Yeah, I want the Idol a lot more than a lot of what AF has released this year. Unlike some of its releases, Rebel Yell is actually in need of a good remastered version.

I am playing through the Grand Funk. Other than the hit single, I was not familiar with the album, and haven't heard much that will bring me back to this CD once it's shelved. I second Keith's whine about the folding of the cover but still put the booklet in the case the way it was intended (as opposed to the way it was shipped by AF). It doesn't sit flat in the case but it just feels right that way. :D

9. Just got my copy today and noticed the misfolded booklet, don't want to ruin it and will not try to refold - maybe we can get a fixed booklet with the next shipment.

10. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

The re-folding was really easy and didn't damage the look of the notes for me.
    The area with the naked picture is longer than the area with the Grand Funk cover.

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, why the heck don't they? Pressing costs? Mastering costs? Licensing costs?

The general public proved not to care about multi-channel, but I would think it would be right up a boutique label's alley.

12. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

From what I've read, there is currently only one SACD production plant in the world, which would have meant many more delays. A hi-rez DVD or Blu-Ray might be more feasible, but this would involve extra licensing fees, of course.

13. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Are we going to get a fix for this? This is really frustrating. If it is not frustrating to you that is great but I don't want to hear about it.

14. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The other solution would be to carefully trim about 1/16" from the edge of the panel with the haystack picture so that it will fold completely underneath the cover. The gold margin around the picture wouldn't be symmetrical but it's already slightly out of whack anyway because of the improper fold so a litter more wouldn't hurt IMO.

Though I'm loath to do things like this it would quickly solve the problem.
    But I would defintely use one of those big office papercutters to ensure a straight cut.

The good news?

No one is complaining about the sound of the disc.
    This fold is we can find to complain about ;)

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I refolded my insert so the right cover is showing. Worked very well, although the cover is a bit shorter than it would be if the fold were correct to begin with.

I wouldn't say this is that "frustrating". Everything else about the disc is perfect.

16. cdice

cdice New Member

Call me "picky", call me "hardcore"....but when I pay $30.00 for a boutique label, limited edition CD, I expect perfection. The misfolded Grand Funk liner notes really torqued me off. This will not keep me from buying other Audio Fidelity titles but, Jeez, you can add this "error" to the many typos that exist on various Audio Fidelity titles (i.e. the Faces title), etc. I wish Audio Fidelity would mind the quality control a little bit better, that's all I'm sayin'.

17. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

I'll ask again. Are we going to get a fixed insert for this? I don't want to know HOW to fix it, I want to know if we are going to GET a fix? No way on earth I am cutting the insert or anything like that.

18. MikeT

I hear you; and you are right. You would hope that Audio Fidelity, with their history of errors, even as slight as folding the liner notes wrong or silkscreening the wrong producers name on a disc, they would have the foresight to check all future releases with a fine tooth comb.

I am a subscriber, and will continue to subscribe, since for the most part when they really screw up (i.e., Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd) they fix it and does so with very little effort on the part of the customer.

19. MikeT

Why ask us here. If you have the disc and really feel strongly about getting corrected inserts, call Audio Fidelity and make your case with them. They are very receptive to phone calls, although I am not saying this particular error will actually be "fixed".

20. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Gee I don't know maybe because this is the Steve Hoffman forum. He is a huge part of AF and promoted all the releases on here. Call me crazy. :D

I just wrote them at AF as well. Took 4 tries to get through that annoying captcha or whatever it is called.

21. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I just put this on and agree it sounds very good.

22. MikeT

You are crazy (you told me to call you that)!! ;)

Yes Steve is a "part" of AF in that he masters music for the label, but does he have a financial stake in the company or does he just get paid for the work he does on certain CDs?

My take is that unlike DCC, where he actually had a "stake" in the business as he did more than just master music, at AF he is merely a "hired hand" to master certain releases that the label will have him do. As to why Steve doesn't master all the AF releases, and Kevin Gray seems to be doing a lot...you will have to get that answer from AF, Steve or Kevin.

I still think, the best course of action to get a solution to an "error" with an AF release is to call or write AF, which you did.. that will get you a possible answer and solution.

Too much complaining on this site, does nothing other than gets a thread closed (or at the extreme wiped for it's existence on the forum). :eek:

23. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

They are sending me a new insert. So if you want one just write em. :righton:

"All the ones we printed were printed properly. There's a machine that
    folds the booklets that was off on some of the folds. We're more than
    happy to send this out to you."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.