Got 'em! Beatles box sets are here!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Or you could just buy one that's already built.:hide:

2. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Well I'm looing forward to my mono box set, and look forward to waiting to pick up a few stereo LPs perhaps.

4. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

interesting, I wonder if they will actually get them... and quite honestly, I hope they press more mono box sets.

5. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Thanks. I missed that in the review, somebody probably posted it here before I asked.

6. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

What difference does it make?

7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

A promo copy could differ in sound from a production copy. Additionally, an individual that receives a promo copy may be biased to say positive things about the product in public.

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Let's face it when it comes to Beatles and forum members, there is only one term that applies and that's "over the top". These sets are aimed at the consumer you wants a good sounding version but is not prepared to spend thousands of dollars to buy the best of the best.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wow, really? Those didn't look like official copies to you and not advances or CD-Rs or whatever?

Man, some of you are just determined to NOT believe that these things sound good... :shake:

10. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

great read!

it won't be long! yeah!

11. TONEPUB

Considering these have final packaging, I would find it highly doubtful that Capitol/EMI would painstakingly put extra effort into the 50 or so box sets that went to journalists.

I've got a set on order that I'll be getting on the 9th like everyone else. My local record store already has a set reserved. If there is any difference between the "actual product" and these, we'll be happy to report it, but again, I'd be very surprised.

12. vintage_tube

That's a possibility -- but ToneAudio, IMO tells it like it is -- their past reviews have been right on target -- no fluff, nor cream, nor strawberries. Those of us who read his on-line magazine can do so without that thought entering into it.

13. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

And don't forget Limited edition Rarities LP which, when you open the gatefold, contains a reproduction photo of the Limited edition butcher cover:)

14. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

+1 :cry:

15. TONEPUB

Yep, these have all the same silk screening on the discs, etc. etc. Often when we get promo CD's on smaller bands they have been CDR, but not on major releases.

Our initial plan was to have the discs from my set to use for a web review on the 10th or 11th of September, but when our assistant music editor Bob Gendron called last week to let me know that because of his longstanding relationship with Capitol, we'd be getting promo copies, I was very enthused.

I have to give him all the credit for burning the midnight oil to get the scoop on this.

16. vintage_tube

17. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Thanks! TONEPUB.

18. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Maybe it was another thread where I mentioned: my local indie, Plan 9, is taking online reservations for the mono set:

http://www.plan9music.com/Item/5382100207

They are requiring a $99 deposit. They say they will ship online orders on 9/9. Do not mind the stereo photo on the mono page; it's clear on their homepage that they have it straight.

19. mkboy1313

mkboy1313 Member

...or it could just be that they sound good and deserve a good review.:confused:

20. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

Now thats what I'm interested in... as long as they aren't the maximized versions!

21. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I have always enjoyed BG music reviews!

22. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

[​IMG]

23. TONEPUB

I consider myself very lucky to have Bob on board. In addition to being the absolute sound's music editor for the past 11 years before joining TONE, he's written for SPIN, Rolling Stone and is still writing about music for the Chicago Tribune as well as a few others.

You may not always agree on his take on things, but his credentials are impeccable and his enthusiasm for the music is top. I know if these discs would have sucked, he would have had no problem saying it. And that's exactly how we would have run it.

24. Jan

Jan New Member

Perhaps a little too enthusiastic, don't you think? I mean, come on, "near-miraculous"? They "blow away" the 1987s in every way? That's sure not what others have reported.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

That's good to know. Thanks very much for the review! :righton:

Although, I have to wonder that there's gotta be some negative points about one or both of these sets. Don't get me wrong, I think it's useful to point out the positive aspects, but I find comments on negative aspects just as useful in reviews. Was there simply nothing bad to be found here at all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.