Got 'em! Beatles box sets are here!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Thanks for the review, Tonepub. For anyone who only spins cds, the mono box (at the very least), sounds like an automatic purchase. For those who spin vinyl, however, it might still pay to wait for the hi-res sourced vinyl (unless one has unlimited funds).

2. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Be prepared for a LOT of surprises if you've never heard these mono mixes before. They're VERY different to the stereo versions. :)

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Agreed.

I think what Bob did such an excellent job of pointing out is that these are great recordings, but will be amazing for those of us that do not have the funds or access to the ultimate versions.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I don't know that song...

5. aaron313

aaron313 Member

This is going to be like every birthday I've ever had... combined... and I'm buying my presents.

6. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

That's true. It should be interesting to see how people react to these differences, it really does give you a whole new perspective on many of the songs.

(Also, since I hadn't gotten around to mentioning it yet... I thought the review was pretty good. :) )

7. Reader

Reader Senior Member

A very nice review. Thanks.

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I can't speak for reb, but I have a hunch he's referring to the more evident bottom end on the remaster.

John Lee Hooker, right?

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Nice review- I am so glad I preordered the mono box.

10. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I always thought that was George Harrison.

11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

...but ...but ...it's THE BEATLES!!!!! :laugh:

I assume we will have at least two more versions coming out eventually: remixed and surround. Just hope my hearing doesn't fade before then...

12. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Nice review indeed.......... I concur on the vinyl, which is sure to come (and likely to be 'limited'). But those will sound very, very good. The old UK vinyl may finally have some serious competition.

13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I don't know if I'm sure the vinyl will be limited, actually -- I mean, of COURSE there will be some super-deluxe collector's box and that will be limited, but I think Capitol still has kept Beatles vinyl in print for some time now. I just saw two copies of a brand-new Capitol pressing of Abbey Road at Best Buy the other night, for instance!

14. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

im waiting eagerly. :goodie: Today i ordered my mono box.

15. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Old UK

>>>>>I dont agree, I dont think any modern versions of the Fabs will ever sound like the 1960s UK Vinyl. Just a different beast entirely.

16. Tone

Tone Senior Member

I agree. :) ...... They won't sound like the originals. Not the same midrange sound as all, which is evident in the remaster to vinyl comparison samples link in Post #29.

But I predict many are going to prefer this 'new' sound on vinyl. Me, I am a fool for that old Brit Midrange, so I'm not selling my Y and Bs.

17. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Personally, I think these will certainly be great for those of you with the really rare pressings. Now you can keep the wear on the rare discs to a minimum.

18. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Sounds promising. It is interesting how the article slams anyone who has anything to "nitpick" about. :rolleyes:

19. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

Oh my gosh are you serious. Some of the best movies ever made are in black and white. You were joking right?

20. Kimo

Kimo New Member

21. Tone

Tone Senior Member

22. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

A 19 FOOT TV SCREEN WOULD BE TOTALLY AWESOME!!!

23. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

24. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Sorry Santa, Christmas comes way before you can get here this year;)

Feel free to drop me a Rick and Gretsch for Rock Band on 12/24.:)

25. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've been looking, and brother, the mono box is sold out everywhere I can find. Bummer. Of course 'they might make more later', but by then I'll have the stereo box and just can't afford both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.