Got 'em! Beatles box sets are here!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TONEPUB, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Very cool Jeff, thanks a bunch! I CAN'T WAIT! :cheers:

2. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thank You for the Interesting review and perspective on these. In two weeks my ears will tell me the truth.

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Nice review Jeff. I particularly like this line.

'it sounds so good, it’s almost difficult to believe this is the Beatles, which, unless one had unlimited funds for collectable LPs, have never sounded great'.

This was my exact sentiment the first time I heard 'Any Time At All' from the Japanese pressing of the UK 'A Hard Day's Night' in the mid 70's. It just didn't seem possible that they could have done what they did at the time that they had done it.

I was working in the studios at that time and was pretty up on what could be done in a modern studio. I knew AHDN was recorded with 4 track recorders but what I was listening to sounded more like a full blown modern 24 track mix. :confused: I had to pull out my US versions to make a comparision and ultimately I determined that it was indeed the Beatles.

I remember thinking that if it wasn't them, and an incredible simulation, who cared. If it wasn't them, it was still mind blowng no matter who did it or how. Of course it was them.

4. Tone

Tone Senior Member

The new Peppers Stereo does sound very good. Nice review Tonepub! I've just heard some more of the new stuff and concur that they sound very good on everything I've heard.

You can hear some short Peppers remaster samples and compare them to the vinyl and '87 here, lower left......... I think folks will be pleased with these CDs. And the new vinyl?

5. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

These are promo copies, true?

6. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I haven't been following all of these threads but do the CDs come in jewel boxes or cardboard sleeves?

7. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

for that amount of money they better not come in cardboard, but in jewel ENCRUSTED boxes!

8. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Nice review!!

9. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

stereo: digipack
    mono: cardboard

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Jeff, thanks for that! And please tell Bob he did a great job with that review; very descriptive and thoughtful. I particularly like the discussion about mono vs. stereo on the later albums.

With all that's going on in the world (much of it downright frightening), this event is a welcome bit of sunshine (and a reminder of hope, fulfilled) in our world.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Nice to see the boxes are starting to arrive.

12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

TECHNICALLY the stereo versions come in cardboard too -- there is no plastic tray there, which the official DIGIPAK(R) does include. These are just cardboard sleeves that slide in and out with no protection for the disc.

13. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Wow. What a review. I think I'm going to pass out.:laugh:

14. Nice review. I was expecting something negative, but I'm very pleased the first reports are good. I can't wait for 09/09/09.

15. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

So, how much are we out in two weeks? Is the total for both appoximately $550.00?

16. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

And yet, the mono version of Sgt. Pepper’s trumps the stereo in several regards. In stereo, “She’s Leaving” runs slower and lower in pitch; the laughter in “Within You Without You” is quieter at the end; McCartney’s scatting is hardly audible on “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”; the psychedelic phrasing on “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” isn’t as clear. Such discrepancies owe to the time lapses that occurred between the mono and stereo mixes as well as the full (or partial) participation of the band and George Martin, both of which favored mono. Such discrepancies are why owning both the mono and stereo mixes of Revolver, Pepper’s, Magical Mystery Tour, and The Beatles borders on mandatory.

The mono version of “Helter Skelter” is shorter, sped up, and without Starr’s renowned “blisters on my fingers” comment.

Oh no!

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I'll be out about a week's wages! :sigh:

I don't care, really. :righton:

18. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

:confused: The mono mixes have always had those differences from the stereo mixes.

19. 926am

926am Senior Member

so the mono edition has plastic sleeves to protect discs from scratching and the stereo doesn't? interesting.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Thank you for posting the Pepper waves that I listened to and compared the the 1987 discs. I can't say that I am surprised in any way. Boom boom.....boom boom.

21. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

what does it mean for you boom boom? loudness war?

22. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

You didn't know that?

23. mkboy1313

mkboy1313 Member

The mono set is replicating the original packaging, which of course had inner sleeves to protect the vinyl, hence the difference.

24. smorrissey

smorrissey New Member

Nop, ive sold my 1987 UK cd's in 1995, since then 0 beatles except from the anthologies.

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I don't find it so incredible that some of us don't know EVERY SINGLE DIFFERENCE between the mono versions and the stereo versions of these records. Not everyone has heard the mono at all, let alone own a copy of both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.